Brooklyn Welcomes Cruise Ships!

Old April 16th, 2005, 08:30 PM

Clarification on current repositories for both Saint-Gaudens' Diana
statues from original Madison Square Garden tower: #1 is in NYC's
Metropolitan Museum; #2 [replacing #1 in November 1893 as #1 was deemed
to be to tall] is in place of honor in Philadelphia's Museum of Art.

Old April 16th, 2005, 08:43 PM
Tom K

"Karen Segboer" wrote in message

Karen,
who just sent her Spel-Chek into overdrive

I thought it was Spel-Czech

Old April 16th, 2005, 08:45 PM
Tom K

"D Ball" wrote in message
Tom,

I didn't know Bayonne was south of Liberty/Ellis! Your comments prompted
me to (finally) get out a map and study all of the NY harbor port facility
locations vis-a-vis Liberty/Ellis. I recall pax reviews of Royal
Carib/Celeb cruises out of Bayonne referring to the great view of
Liberty/Ellis...I assume the ships make a northerly arc on departure so
folks can see the sights?

They have to follow the marked channels. I'm not sure how close they get to
the Statue. I think they head straight out from where they dock.

--Tom

Old April 16th, 2005, 08:57 PM
Tom K

"Benjamin Smith" wrote in message
nk.net...

IMO, Carnival goes way beyond making a profit. There are plenty businesses
that make profits. Carnival is about growth and influence

And Monopoly.

in their industry and will use buzzwords you are so fond of, like
"changing marketplace" to justify wrecking the personalities of the brands
they acquired. I won't single them out though, other powerful companies do
the same thing. My position is not to justify them, but point out how it
impacts customers. I'm not interested in defending companies and oohing
and ahhing on their numbers performance.

Ben S.

Old April 16th, 2005, 09:08 PM
Tom K

"E.k.R." wrote in message
.. .

Yes, Cunard was a joke and essentially still is. They are a two ship
operation with the QM2 basically being run as a Princess Grand Class ship.
Plans for the new QUEEN VICTORIA are all but on hold as Carnival Corp.
performs a complete strategic review of exactly what to do with Cunard.
QM2 is selling transatlantic crossings at $699 per person and certainly
this was not the intent for the "flagship" of the fleet.

They keep e-mailing about specials at $699... so maybe they're not even
selling crossings at that price if there are that many cabins open.

I think I'll consider booking when they hit $399. That's what Princess is
e-mailing Alaska specials at. Though Princess Alaska is 7 nights, while a
QM2 crossing is only 6 nights.

--Tom

Old April 16th, 2005, 09:22 PM
Tom K

"number6" wrote in message
oups.com...

They look good on paper ... Do the maps show the number of vehicles
using it ??? Or the lane closures ... ??? Or the construction projects
...???
Then the problem is that the exit ramp will back up ...

At least an all highway route will eliminate hijacking ...

Not really... when it's bumper-to-bumper traffic, the locals wander out and
have you at their mercy if you can't move.

But they still have to build a lot of access roads ...

On what "available" land?

--Tom

Old April 16th, 2005, 09:23 PM
Tom K

"Charles" wrote in message
d...
In article , Jeff
Gersten wrote:

Red Hook is artsy, not seedy. It's funky, richly
textured.

That does not quite jibe with the descriptions of the area that number 6
and others have given us in this newsgroup.

The area may have changed. Areas that were once run down become
gentrified. And fast in New York area. A lot of people have been priced
out of Manhatten. I don't know if the discription of the current Red
Hook from the Times is correct. Have not been there in many years.
Possibly someone can take a field trip and report back. Sorta like the
trip to Wal-Mart

Areas can be built up and improved... but roads, tunnels and bridges are
still a mess.

--Tom

Old April 16th, 2005, 09:24 PM
Tom K

"Benjamin Smith" wrote in message
ink.net...
Karen Segboer wrote:

Charles wants me to go to Red Hook now :-) Wal*Mart's was a safer
trip (I think.)

Heck, maybe I WILL take a ride over someday. Call the police if you
don't see any more posts from me.

Take the CRV, not the Mercedes.

Take a limo.

Don't put your own car at risk.

--Tom

Old April 16th, 2005, 09:39 PM
Tom K

"Sue and Kevin Mullen" wrote in message

Coming from NJ, going through Brooklyn, you don't go thru the tunnel.
Traffic going to the tunnel can be fun, but I haven't experienced it for
many, many years.

Now, if you are coming from the north, you could take I-95 across
the George Washington Bridge, pick up the Deegan Expressway (I-87) south
the Grand Central Parkway (I-278) towards LaGuardia (is that the
Tri-Borough
Bridge?), and follow I-278 as it becomes the BQE.

I am not as familiar with this route, but from north Jersey I would
probably take the Lincoln Tunnel into Manhattan and then the Brooklyn
Battery Tunnel into Brooklyn.

You may actually get regional differentiation.

You may find that the Brooklyn, Queens, Long Island crowd goes with
Carnival, Princess, Cunard. And the New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Upstate NY
crowd goes with RCI, Celebrity. Simply because of the ability to get to the
pier.

--Tom