Brooklyn Welcomes Cruise Ships!

Old April 16th, 2005, 02:47 AM
E.k.R.

"Karen Segboer" wrote in message
Or the people here who chided the rest of us who moaned about Carnival
takeovers and consolidations, shaking their fingers and telling us
cruise lines like HAL and Cunard would have been out of business long
ago if not for Carnival. I think I would have much rather seen
Cunard, HAL and the like die a dignified death than to be subjected to
the "rebirth" they got with Carnival Corp.

Karen

I feel the same way Karen. Maybe we all would have been better off without
several diluted brands which are each advertised as something unique, but
essentially offer the same product on identical ships .... that is what
Carnival Corp. brands are becoming.

People act like Carnival is some kind of big hero for "saving" lines like
Costa, Cunard, P&O, and Holland America. Frankly I don't see it that way
.... at least not any longer. Maybe I did at one time. All these lines may
or may not have still been around even without Carnival, and that is
something we will never know. What we are left with today is an HAL, Costa,
P&O, and Cunard that have very little in common with their original
heritage. As time progresses the lines will become even more alike and
homogenized as Carnival orders identical ships and has interchangeable
crews/officers/entertainment for more and more of it's brands.

Does it really matter if Carnival bought and "saved" these brands if they
essentially become mirror images of each other (with different logos of
course!)? I personally don't think so.

Ernie

Old April 16th, 2005, 03:23 AM
Charles

In article , Karen Segboer
wrote:

At least, sailing out of Philly, you'd get to see the SS US. The best
you'd get from Red Hook is a garbage barge and floating used condoms
left behind by the "sidewalk hostesses."

I don't think it will be so bad. My expectation is that they will sail
up and around Governers Island then back down past the statue of
Liberty.

--
Charles
Old April 16th, 2005, 03:39 AM
Charles

In article . net,
Benjamin Smith wrote:

Not seeing QM2 anymore in Manhattan or going to Liberty Park to
watch the ship sail is a big loss.

I think they will sail up around Governors Island and back down past
the Statue of Liberty. That will give it a view of downtown Manhatten.
If they did that, you should see the QM2 from the Liberty Park.

--
Charles
Old April 16th, 2005, 03:44 AM
William Coleman

You can blame CCL all you want and to some degree they are guilty. After
9/11 rates were cut drastically to fill ships on every line. When rates are
cut it effects the bottom line so something has to give. Staffs were cut and
more charging for onboard amenities. I think even Tom K will attest that the
slippage was there before CCL bought Princess.

What's the matter with Philadelphia anyway?
Bill
--
visit my Caribbean Princess website
http://www.cruisingthecaribbeanprincess.com

"Surfer E2468" wrote in message
It was a sad day when carnival took over princess,found service has
dropped off considerably from the first class service you used to get,no
longer a thank you for their tips,or even a handshake.
surfer e2468

Old April 16th, 2005, 04:11 AM
Dick Goldhaber

Ernie,

While uncertainty over the price of fuel has lopped nearly 20% off of CCL's
52 week high, they still managed to announce today a 33% increase in their
dividend bringing the annual yield to a whopping 1.61%.

Maybe Micky owns enough stock to have the dividend become meaningful, I only
own enough to earn the onboard credit.
--
DG in Cherry Hill, NJ

"E.k.R." wrote in message
. ..

"Chrissy Cruiser" wrote in message
Right now, Ernie, they ball is so far in their court they are making

hay
while the sun shines. And will continue to up prices, squeeze expenses
until the pax stop increasing bookings.

Exactly! And I recall reading many posts on r.t.c. about people actually
looking forward to Carnival taking over Princess and getting bigger and
bigger. Huge mistake IMO.

Meanwhile, Carnival profits soar and soar. Great for Micky and the large
stockholders.

Ernie

Old April 16th, 2005, 04:11 AM
Tom K

"Benjamin Smith" wrote in message
ink.net...
Don & Lynn wrote:
I'm glad we were on a cruise last Nov. that spent the day docked in
Manhattan. That's part of the charm. You look up and there is the Empire
State building. It was a Sunday and I talked to a lady who walked to St.
Patrick's with her group and attended mass. These things are priceless.
Don

I agree. Sailing in to or out of NYC with the usual landmarks, Statue of
Liberty, Ellis Island, BMW bridges, Empire State, is part of the NYC
experience. Embarkation was a disaster in the NYC piers and I wish that
these were upgraded and made state of the art. Not seeing QM2 anymore in
Manhattan or going to Liberty Park to watch the ship sail is a big loss.

Mickey will be able to sell excursions to see Manhattan.

--Tom

Old April 16th, 2005, 04:25 AM
Dick Goldhaber

I don't believe that Karen Segboer actually responded to Clint the Troll
haha and now he has responded to her haha.

Will she answer him again? Will she use another e-mail address? Stay
tuned.

I just love it when a troll like Karen has the chutzpah to accuse a group
member of replying to her after they claimed to have killfiled when she has
changed her e-mail address nearly 20 times. At least Clint is an
honest.troll.
--
DG in Cherry Hill, NJ

"Karen Segboer" wrote in message
"clint" wrote:

Big problem, the Hudson is so polluted, it often catches fire(not very
romantic) haha

They cleaned that up, clint.