7E7 ads

Old December 5th, 2003, 07:28 PM
Lou Minatti

Default 7E7 ads

With the discussion about Boeing's presumed demise, and the talk of
the 7E7 being a ruse, I find it interesting that Boeing is advertising
the 7E7. I just spotted a banner ad on economist.com, pointing to
http://www.newairplane.com.
Old December 6th, 2003, 12:37 AM
Nik

Certainly looks interesting. Wonder if the plane has been designed in
Hollywood though...

Nik.

om...

Old December 6th, 2003, 09:30 AM
nobody

Lou Minatti wrote:
the 7E7. I just spotted a banner ad on economist.com, pointing to
http://www.newairplane.com.

What a site devoide of any specific information.

However, on the real Boeing site, I did find out 2 important tidbits:

http://www.boeing.com/commercial/7e7/releases.html

7E7 has passed the firm concept milestone. Next step is getting authority to
offer. They have begin some wind tunnel testing of various wing concepts.

And in the very limited technical specs, they do provide a fuselate cross section.

Here is a comparison: in cm.
cabin fuselage
width width
767 470 (507)
340 528 564
7E7 (537) 574
777 580 619

Values in parentheses are estimated, based on total estimate of total wall
thickness of 37cm
(340 has 36, 777 has 39cm).

So the 7E7 will have about 10cm more than the 340. In an 8 across config, it
means 1cm more per seats and 1cm more per aisle.

At this stage in the 380, the airbus web site had far more technical
information and realistic drawings of cabin cross sections. Boeing's site
lacks those completely, and their depictions of the cabin are unrealistic.

The 380s's lobby is more of a necessity than a show. And it does provide for a
realistic bulkhead between the stairs and the cabin on the main deck.
(although, the "bar" in the font section of the upper deck is perhaps not so realistic).

Boeing might want to make a big impression with a similarly impressive lobby
for its 7E7. However, the reality is that airlines will need to have some sort
of bulkhead that separates the premium cabin from coach, and will probably
want either toilets or galley there. Galleys generally want to be near a door
to make their servicing between flights much faster.

However, Boeing did announce that it was giving engine manufacturers about 6
additional months to come up with engine offerings. I suspect that Boeing
doesn't yet have all the technology/designs that will enable the 7E7 to
provide the necessary performance improvements, so more time is needed to get
to that point. Airbus delayed the 380 by a number of years for similar
reasons.

During the 380 delay however, Airbus did proudly discuss of its achievements,
testing of various new technologies and concepts (for instance composite
horizontal stabilizers the size of a 737's wing).

We know that Boeing want to have a composite skin for the 7E7 fuselage. But
have we seen/heard of Boeing testing this on cabin cross section mockups ?
Have composite materials ever been used for the pressure shell of a commercial
aircraft ? If not, you'd think we'd be hearing about Boeong making tests to
see how well those materials widthstand the rigors of flight (pressure cycles,
temperature changes etc).

Perhaps Boeing is far more advanced that it leads up to believe. It might be
keeping its new technologies under wraps so that Airbus (and perhaps military
competitors) wouldn't steal those ideas.

I read an article on the web that said that Boeing had already sunk 7 billion
bucks on the 7E7. That is fairly hard to believe considering how vague the
Boeing web site is about the 7E7. On the other hand, if Boeing has been
keeping its research underwraps, this is perhaps possible. Remember that some
of the stuff on the 7E7 may have been worked on sicne the days of the Sonic Cruiser.

Lets just hope that Boeing is smarter than it looks. Right how, its 7E7
project doesn't look too credible based on what Boeing has made public.
Old December 8th, 2003, 02:32 PM
DALing

actually, composite has some definite advanatages as a fuselage material -
mostly, no fatigue and lighter weight for a given strength. Tempaerature is
no problem even at the low temps of altitude. A potential problem is that
radiation shielding from the metal - even light metal provides a significant
radiation stoppage capability - at altitude. Radiation exposure is high
enough as it is even with the current designs.