Road Trip to West Coast - Any Tips or Suggestions?

Old March 6th, 2004, 09:40 PM
Brian

Default Road Trip to West Coast - Any Tips or Suggestions?

I live in Iowa and my wife and I are planning a road trip to the west
coast for June 2004. We plan to take about three weeks. Our current
plan is as follows:

-I-80 to Colorado
-In Colorado we plan to get on I-70 to go through the mountains.
Maybe see the Royal Gorge. We're going to try to find a place to camp
in the mountains.
-Then we want to go through South-Eastern Utah to see Monument Valley.
-Then we'll head to the Grand Canyon in Arizona.
-Next to Las Vegas for one night of fun.
-Then we plan to head to San Diego and check out the Zoo.
-Next we head up the Pacific Coast.

Here is where I need help. I know we want to try out Highway 1, at
least for part of the trip up the coast. I'm told it's beautiful, but
very long. We'd like to go up to San Francisco and then to the
Redwood Forests and some vineyards. I've never been to this part of
the country and would love to hear any suggestions from other
travelers. Once we see Northern California we'll head up to Eugene,
Oregon to see my brother. I would also like to check out Crater Lake
while we're there. After Oregon I have no idea. Should we continue
up to Washington? How about getting back to Iowa? Should we stay up
north and go through Montana and North Dakota or should we move south
a little bit and hit Wyoming and South Dakota?

Any suggestions, tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian
Old March 7th, 2004, 02:52 AM
Bill Meng

The best part of Hiway 1 is from Morro Bay to Monterey. Take 101 up thru
Santa Barbara to San Luis Obispo the get on 1 up to SF The Monterey Bay
Aquarium is great. The Missions at Santa Barbara and Carmel are worth a
stop. The Beach and Boardwalk in Santa Cruz will take you back a few
years. Big Basin park near Santa Cruz has a stand of Redwoods, not the
biggest, but it's only a few miles. Hiway 1 north of Frisco is dotted
with small towns that do nothing but slow you down.

Going north from Eugene, Mt St. Helens is only 50 miles north of
Portland where you can take I84 east through the Columbia Gorge, or take
hiway 14 in Washington along the north side of the Columbia. The only
scenic portion of I84 is the Wallowa Mountains of Northeast Oregon. Once
into Idaho, you're in the desert, but it will take you near Yellowstone.

If you exit I84 or 14 at 395 near Kennnewick, follow it to Ritzville and
pick up I90 to Spokane.

Take Hiway 2 out of Spokane to Sandpoint Idaho(stop at the city beach on
the banks of Lake Pend O'reille) and on to Kalispell and Glacier
Park(Going to the Sun Road) then return thru Great Falls to I90.

Stay on I90 through Spokane to Exit 41 in Idaho, the Cataldo Mission(the
oldest building in Idaho, 1850's). The entire town of Wallace Idaho
(exit 61,62) is on the National Register of Historic Places. Exit I90 at
St Regis MT and take 135 for 25 gorgeous miles to MOntana 200 east to
the national Bison Range(drive through) near Ravalli. Nearby in St.
Ignatius is the old mission church with 60 frescoes, one of the hidden
gems in the Nrthwest. From here you can go south to Missoula and I90, or
north to Kalispell and Glacier, to Great Falls and I90

Once back on I90, exit in eastern Wyoming to Mt Rushmore and the Badlands.

Just a few ideas.

Old March 7th, 2004, 04:51 AM
Patty Winter

In article k.net,
Bill Meng wrote:
The best part of Hiway 1 is from Morro Bay to Monterey.

That's a great part, all right, but Marin, Sonoma, and Mendocino
Counties are nothing to sneeze at, either! A lot of people enjoy
those "small towns that do nothing but slow you down."

Patty

Old March 7th, 2004, 04:56 AM
Russell Patterson

On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 02:52:17 GMT, Bill Meng
wrote:

Once back on I90, exit in eastern Wyoming to Mt Rushmore and the Badlands.

Don't forget Devil's Tower and the Prairie Dog Town nearby.
respond here or email responses to
Old March 7th, 2004, 09:50 AM
Icono Clast

You suggest a great trip, Bill, but they have only three weeks. I
think that's too much for so little time.

It would be helpful were you could break it down into time segments as
I might be wrong and/or they'd willing to give it a try.

Bill Meng wrote:
[...]

A San Franciscan in (where else?) San Francisco
http://geocities.com/dancefest/ http://geocities.com/iconoc/
ICQ: http://wwp.mirabilis.com/19098103 IClast at SFbay Net
Old March 7th, 2004, 11:11 AM
Henry

Brian wrote:

After Oregon I have no idea. Should we continue
up to Washington? How about getting back to Iowa? Should we stay up
north and go through Montana and North Dakota or...

If you're going that far north, go a few hours further and cross into
Canada. Come back east on the Trans-Canada and turn south at Winnipeg.

cheers,

Henry
Old March 7th, 2004, 08:31 PM
Bill Meng

LA to San Luis Obispo with SDnata Babara stop - 1 day
SLO to Monterey 1 day this could also include a stop at the Hearst
Castle- but make reservations early
Monterey / Carmel Santa Cruz 1 day Forgot to mention the Hog's Breath
Inn in Carmel, owned by one Clint Eastwood. There are also some good
wineries in the area. Maybe stay a second day
Next day drive to SF and spend the rest of the day
1 day drive from SF to Oregon
?? days in Eugene/Crater Lake
1 day drive up to Portland/Mt. St. helens
1 day drive to Idaho sites
2 days drive thru montana sites, Kalispell, Glacier, St. Ignatius, bison
Range and back on I90
1 day drive to Badlands/Mt. Rushmore
1 day drive to Iowa

Old March 8th, 2004, 08:38 AM
Icono Clast

Bill Meng wrote:
Icono Clast wrote:
You suggest a great trip, Bill, but they have only three weeks. I
think that's too much for so little time.

It would be helpful were you could break it down into time segments as
I might be wrong and/or they'd willing to give it a try.

OK. You win. Although quite a rush, it could easily be done. I woldn't
want to do it, though.

Old March 8th, 2004, 05:49 PM
Edison Ed

Sounds like a lot of driving in 3 weeks.

As far as the CA. coast. The stretch between Moro Bay and Monterey is great.
The Big Sur area is magnificent. Nice camping in the redwoods at Phifer Big Sur
State Park.

Also, the Mendecino coast is worth driving as well, but again, very slow
driving.
Hwy. 101 north of that area brings you through lot's of redwoods areaa. You can
take the scenic Avenue of the Giants to really get a nice feel for the forest
and it gets you off the highway.
Also, highway 199 from Cresecent City to Grants Pass is great. The Smith River
is one of the most beautiful spots. Camping at Jedidia Smith State Park is
another great place.
You could spend a week alone on what I just described.
Good luck, and take your time to enjoy your vacation.
Ed