Recommendations for detailed map of Greece?

Old June 3rd, 2011, 05:25 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dan Stephenson

Default Recommendations for detailed map of Greece?

Hello, I intend to revisit Greece again and again. The last time I
visited I bought a thick spiral-bound tourist and motoring atlas at a
gas station, and it had a good many ancient archeological sights on it.

However, I noticed all the time, in the course of driving through the
countryside, signs to many sites that were not cited in the atlas. I
picked up a book on the ancient sites of the Peloponnese while I was
there and it helped but I'm looking for something comprehensive.
Something like Ordinance Survey maps in the UK that list ever little
stone circle and burial mound.

My plan is to read Pausanias' _Descriptions of Greece_ that I just
ordered on-line, and see about visiting some of the more obscure
places, as if I were walking in his footsteps. My next specific trip
to Greece will focus on time at Monemvasia, again, but I want some side
trips. I read an on-line snippet from Pausanias, where he describes
the site just north of Monemvasia, Epidaurus Limera. I remember seeing
this place from the road but was foot-sore at the time and did not
visit it. I read in the on-line text of Pausanias, how if you
travelled north from there by a certain distance you come across the
site of Limenas, and how it has a nice harbor and a temple, etc etc.
And I did indeed on Day 68 of my big trip, visit the little village
with the nice harbor, but at the time could not find access to the
ancient site past some people's property. And yet, Pausanius further
describes additional sites even farther north, relating cool
mythological facts about those sites -- and I cannot find them in my
motoring atlas! Nor in Google Maps. Finding THOSE kinds of obscure
places is what I'm after.

Does anyone know an ultimate mapping sources for Greece, something that
will have all these places?

I really feel I connect with history when I visit the ancient places. Thanks,

--
Dan Stephenson
http://web.mac.com/stepheda

Old June 3rd, 2011, 11:46 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
JohnT[_7_]

"Martin" wrote in message
Are real Ordnance Survey quality maps still considered as official
secrets?

If I told you the answer to that I would have to kill you afterwards.

--
JohnT

Old June 3rd, 2011, 08:17 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Runge 128

hohoho funny martin

"Martin" a écrit dans le message de groupe de discussion :

On Fri, 3 Jun 2011 11:46:20 +0100, "JohnT"
wrote:

"Martin" wrote in message
.. .
Are real Ordnance Survey quality maps still considered as official
secrets?

If I told you the answer to that I would have to kill you afterwards.

Another embittered Kalamata Airport plane spotter?
--

Martin

Old June 5th, 2011, 07:30 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
george

On Jun 3, 6:25*am, Dan Stephenson wrote:
[...]

In Germany I use the 1:150000 scale Shell maps which for around
Stuttgart where I live show over 4000 places of interest to a tourist
of all types, and the places are accurately rated. Unfortunately,
they quit publishing these maps a few years ago, but you may be able
to find similar maps for Greece that will show ALL rural roads and
places of interest. A good large bookstore (probably in Athens) is a
good place to look for such maps as they should have a selection of
most of them that are available, and you can examine them to see which
ones best meet your interests.

My favorite times in Greece were actually driving through the
countryside searching for some of these obscure sites with poor out of
date maps. Usually an excellent time whether we were successful or
not as the drives through some unpopulated areas can be excellent in
themselves.

George
Old May 24th, 2015, 12:37 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dan Stephenson

Default Scenic driving Greece Recommendations for detailed map of Greece?

On 2011-06-05 06:30:47 +0000, george said:

My favorite times in Greece were actually driving through the
countryside searching for some of these obscure sites with poor out of
date maps. Usually an excellent time whether we were successful or
not as the drives through some unpopulated areas can be excellent in
themselves.

I'll second that. I visited back in October and it was wonderful!

Something I didn't anticiapte is the number of older people looking for a ride

Returning to Monemvasia from a trip out looking for Pausanius ruins on
the far side of the Malea penninsula, I came across a older lady in one
of the hill towns, looking for a ride back, with her load of olives she
had picked all day.

George

--
Dan Stephenson