Abandoned/ignored: victims of EXPEDIA's incompetence

Old March 12th, 2010, 12:37 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises,rec.travel.air,alt.travel
June[_2_]

Default Abandoned/ignored: victims of EXPEDIA's incompetence

"HLE" wrote in message
Oceania's cruise from Buenos Aires to Valparaiso was excellent, of course,
but Expedia made the end of our wonderful vacation into something quite
miserable.

Yesterday, we returned from Chile, where the earthquake created chaos in
Concepcion and points north. Though Santiago seemed to be nearly
untouched, the (relatively new) airport was grievously damaged and most
processes moved to outside tents.

Our original flight from Chile to Buenos Aires was canceled (with no
notice from Expedia), and our concierge said the only other flight would
give us 30 minutes if everything worked perfectly. We wrote to Expedia,
confident that we'd get help.

More than a dozen emails went back and forth, of which most from Expedia
were automated attempts to terminate the dialog. We have one that says
something like "we will help but only via email" and another that says
"call us on our 404 number". Finally, after we spent almost $20 calling
Expedia (there was, of course, a long and frustrating wait), they shrugged
us off with "Please call United and they will help you." We discovered
that United has no office in Chile, so we called the U.S. number. Another
$20. No help, as they don't fly out of Santiago and have only one flight
per day into and out of BA. I again asked Expedia for help, but it was
clear that none was forthcoming. We were on our own.

We gave up a day, and visited the LAN office in downtown Santiago, where a
manager took pity on us and shifted us to a flight that gave us eight
hours of waiting, but at least we got out and eventually got home.

I wrote to Expedia to file a complaint, but it appears that they have no
mechanism for such correspondence. The automated response included this
self-inflicted wound: "...there are some instances that (sic) we are
unable to meet our guaranteed excellent customer service..."

Guaranteed? GUARANTEED? Expedia's incompetence cost us a day of vacation,
and added more than ten hours to our transit time to make an uncomfortable
trip into a grim and painful one.

Never again.

Another perfect example of why to use a REAL travel agent.

Old March 14th, 2010, 11:18 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises,rec.travel.air,alt.travel
Tom P[_2_]

June wrote:

"HLE" wrote in message
[...]

Or even better, buy tickets directly from the airline. Using TAs real or
otherwise mean you miss out on all sorts of features that airlines offer
with online booking - like been able to rebook your flight from anywhere
in the world, reserve a seat online, reserve a meal or assistance...

Old March 14th, 2010, 02:24 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises,rec.travel.air,alt.travel
Charles[_1_]

In article , peter
wrote:

BTW: please provide evidence that anyone has ever successfully sued
Expedia because they wouldn't assist a customer whose flight was
canceled but told him to go to the airline counter in front of him.

No one said anything about suing them dumb ass. HLE wanted to get
support and service from Expedia. HLE is simply making it known that
Expedia failed in HLE's opinion to live up to it's promise of support.

Despite your idiotic claim that Expedia has no responsibility there is
'The Expedia Promise" right on their web site:

"The Expedia Promise"

"Wešre committed to helping you create and enjoy the best trip
possible, from the moment you come to Expedia until you return home at
the end of your trip. Wešll support you every step of the way‹so you
can shop, book, and go with confidence. Itšs our promise to you."

--
Charles