The era of FORMAL NIGHTS is fading rapidly...

Old October 7th, 2007, 01:50 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

Default The era of FORMAL NIGHTS is fading rapidly...

In article . com,
wrote:

No. Ties and slacks are business attire in the Northeast. Suits died
out in the 60's as "standard".

They are wearing suits as business attire in New York and Washington.
They are wearing suits on Wall Street.

I agree, it's not putting on airs, but a cruise ship vacation is not
the place to be puttin' on the tux.

That is you opinion. Most of the cruise lines say a cruise ship
vacation is the place to be putting on a tux. And most passengers are
wearing a dark suit or tux on the formal evenings that the cruise lines
still have on most cruise ship vacations.

You and Rick may dress differently but you are a small minority. As I
have said in other posts over the years it does not bother me if people
don't wear a dark suit or tux on formal evenings. It does not make me
uncomfortable. But I would feel uncomfortable myself dressing that way.
Not that I like wearing a dark suit or tux. I would prefer not wearing
them. Loved the dress on Azamara Journey where there were no formal
evenings. But the dress request is still being adhered to by the
majority on the cruise lines that have formal evenings and at this
point in time I don't feel like being a rebel.

--
Charles
Old October 7th, 2007, 02:07 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Rick[_3_]

On Oct 6, 7:12 pm, Charles wrote:
In article . com, Rick
Suits and ties are still standard business attire in the Northeast.

Charles, Where are suits and ties standard business attire in the
NE?

Vacations are another matter. The formal dinner evenings have been a
cruise vacation tradition. Certainly they would not be part of a
camping vacation. To me the old saying of when in Rome do as the Romans
applies. I find that people are still wearing suits or tuxes on formal
evenings, 95% are doing that--- so I am still wearing my tux. If you
want to be a rebel, fine. I don't care. I choose not to be a rebel in
this matter at this time.

I never said you should change the way you are comfortable
dressing.
You want to dress in a tux then by all means do it. It was also
cruise
tradition to have seperate classes of service, should we go back to
that?
Of course not. Why? Because we've evolved from that.

Why would dressing up be putting on airs or trying to impress anyone?

Becaue 99% of the public doesn't own a Tux in real life or wear
one on any kind of regualr basis. Why should they on a cruise
vacation?

Old October 7th, 2007, 02:29 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Rick[_3_]

On Oct 6, 8:50 pm, Charles wrote:
They are wearing suits as business attire in New York and Washington.
They are wearing suits on Wall Street.

I don't think so.

That is you opinion. Most of the cruise lines say a cruise ship
vacation is the place to be putting on a tux.

And that is written where? OH, Its right next to where they say
you should buy the ships tours and pay 3, 4, or 5 times the price of
doing it yourself. Since the cruise lines say we should wearing a tux
let me run mine to the cleaners now.

And most passengers are
wearing a dark suit or tux on the formal evenings that the cruise lines
still have on most cruise ship vacations.

You may notice this is changing.

You and Rick may dress differently but you are a small minority.

Really? Have you ever been on a Freestyle cruise where formal
and casual dress is seated together? Formal is not the majority.

But I would feel uncomfortable myself dressing that way.

I can see why. You still think a Suit and tie are standard
business attire.

But the dress request is still being adhered to by the
majority on the cruise lines that have formal evenings and at this
point in time I don't feel like being a rebel.

What makes me angry is when i'm in a suit and tie or my tux and
the guy at the very next table is in a tropical shirt and flip flops.
Why is he allowed in? Why is he being served? Why isn't the cruise
line enforcing their dress policy? Its not about being a rebel
Charles. If it were I would wear jeans to the dining room. Oh wait
people already do. Yet the cruise lines say its not allowed. Yet its
seen every night at every seating.

Old October 7th, 2007, 02:44 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article . com, Rick
wrote:

I never said you should change the way you are comfortable
dressing. You want to dress in a tux then by all means do it. It was
also cruise tradition to have seperate classes of service, should we go
back to that? Of course not. Why? Because we've evolved from that.

Separate classes were more of an ocean liner tradition than a cruise
vacation tradition but that has nothing to do with the subject at hand.
Cruise tradition has not evolved from having formal evenings. If it did
evolve from having formal evenings that would be fine with me. But it
has not happened yet. That is why I wear a tux or dark suit. I never
said I wanted to dress in a tux.

Becaue 99% of the public doesn't own a Tux in real life or wear
one on any kind of regualr basis. Why should they on a cruise
vacation?

Because it is expected on a cruise vacation to wear a dark suit or tux
several evenings.

--
Charles
Old October 7th, 2007, 02:53 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article . com, Rick
wrote:

Really? Have you ever been on a Freestyle cruise where formal
and casual dress is seated together? Formal is not the majority.

I went on one NCL Freestyle cruise. Not dressing formal was the only
good thing about the cruise. Otherwise it was a crappy cruise line
which I will avoid. But not because of the dress. It is more likely NCL
will fade away before formal evenings on cruises fades away....

--
Charles
Old October 7th, 2007, 03:04 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected]

Peanut Charles Wrote:

They are wearing suits as business attire in New York and Washington.
They are wearing suits on Wall Street.

Charles,

I will agree with Wall Street, but the percentage of business in the
northeast does not recognize a suit as standard business attire.

You and Rick may dress differently but you are a small minority.

You're wrong. It's not a small minority. It might be a minority
(because I do see more suits than not) but it's a 40/60 minority.
It's an age thing. It will be 70 percent smart casual before you know
it.

Old October 7th, 2007, 03:10 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Rick[_3_]

On Oct 6, 9:53 pm, Charles wrote:
I went on one NCL Freestyle cruise. Not dressing formal was the only
good thing about the cruise. Otherwise it was a crappy cruise line
which I will avoid.

Here we both agree 100%.

But not because of the dress. It is more likely NCL
will fade away before formal evenings on cruises fades away....

Charles

Thats a bold statement.

Old October 7th, 2007, 03:32 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article . com, Rick
wrote:

Thats a bold statement.

It is like the statement that formal nights are fading rapidly. Both
statements are an exaggeration.

I am not saying the day won't come that formal nights are no longer. I
am saying that not dressing formal is still dressing different on the
cruise lines that have them. So I won't dress less than a dark suit or
tux. But as an example, on Royal Caribbean which still has informal
evenings, jacket requested, hardly anyone wears a jacket on that
evening. So I don't either. If the same happened on formal evenings,
that the majority did not wear a tux or dark suit then I would
reconsider wearing a tux or suit. If you and Seahorse want to be in the
vanguard of change I have no problem with that. In this instance I will
be a follower, not a leader :-)

--
Charles
Old October 7th, 2007, 03:55 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected]

If you and Seahorse want to be in the
vanguard of change I have no problem with that. In this instance I will
be a follower, not a leader :-)

--
Charles

Charles,

The last thing I'm doing on vacation is being a leader. I, simply,
don't want to wear a suit.

"vanguard of change"?

God love duck.

It's a waste of space to bring it. It's a waste of money to rent it.
Formal wear in a plastic environment. And then up we go to the
Mexican buffet?

Old October 7th, 2007, 06:04 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Thumper

On Sat, 6 Oct 2007 17:29:42 -0400, "Val Kraut"
wrote:

Sounds like you're trying to write future history in the hope it will become
true.

Actually on our last cruise the vast majority of the men wore Tuxes or in
some cases dark suits. And in many cases the majority of the men had sports
jacets on casual nights. There are many who still enjoy formal ocassions and
will continue to do so.

You're right in that the cruise industry is rapidly expanding, and given the
mess at airports will continue to attract new travelers some of whom have
never owned a tie or jacket in their life. My hope is that things don't
always have to move to the lowest denomenator. Understandably someone who
wants a cheap crusie consisting of beaches and booze will not want to waste
half his bar bill on a tuxedo.

So my prediction is one or two things will happen - they'll be two types of
crusies the relaxed atmosphere, and ones that contunue to provide
interesting ports of call, interesting excursions, and interesting events
such as formal nights on board.

The other alternative is back to multiple classes on the ship - where first
class has its formal nights etc, and second class gets a cafeteria.

By the way servants on vacation might enjoy being treated with class - just
because they're servants doen't mean they can't own a suit.

Things are also cyclic and rebound. In the 70s ball room dancing almost died
and was replaced but invent it yourself gyrations. It was often impossible
to determine a particular persons partner. Now formal Ball Room dancing is
back again strong. I predict this will happen again with formal events.

Back again strong? Hardly.
Thumper

Today, the vast majority of people who go cruising don't own formal wear.
Many don't even have suits, and if they did retain something from their
business history it probably no longer fits. And some of today's cruisers
ARE servants - on vacation...