Resting/sleeping facilities within LHR (Terminal 5)?

Old January 8th, 2011, 05:26 AM posted to rec.travel.air
AGW

Default Resting/sleeping facilities within LHR (Terminal 5)?

Hello.

We are a group of four (46-year-old agile male in a wheelchair, and
four able-bodied seniors). We'll have an eight-hour layover at LHR,
Terminal 5 between a nine-hour flight from YYC and a seven-hour flight
to DXB. What, if any, places are there to sleep within the terminal?
I'm assuming the short time frame makes a quick trip to a hotel
difficult if not impossible; am I right?

TIA.
Old January 8th, 2011, 05:27 AM posted to rec.travel.air
AGW

On 1/7/2011 11:26 PM, AGW wrote:
Hello.

We are a group of four (46-year-old agile male in a wheelchair, and four
able-bodied seniors). We'll have an eight-hour layover at LHR, Terminal
5 between a nine-hour flight from YYC and a seven-hour flight to DXB.
What, if any, places are there to sleep within the terminal? I'm
assuming the short time frame makes a quick trip to a hotel difficult if
not impossible; am I right?

TIA.

Check that . . . three able-bodied seniors.
Old January 8th, 2011, 06:32 AM posted to rec.travel.air
John Levine

We are a group of four (46-year-old agile male in a wheelchair, and
four able-bodied seniors). We'll have an eight-hour layover at LHR,
Terminal 5 between a nine-hour flight from YYC and a seven-hour flight
to DXB. What, if any, places are there to sleep within the terminal?
I'm assuming the short time frame makes a quick trip to a hotel
difficult if not impossible; am I right?

The Sofitel is connected by an internal walkway to T5. It's not
cheap, but it's definitely convenient.

http://www.sofitel.com/gb/hotel-6214...ow/index.shtml

Terminal 4 has the Yotel capsule hotel which is probably more what you
had in mind. The free 482 and 490 buses go between the terminals and
take about 15 minutes once they show up.

http://www.yotel.com/

There are a lot of other hotels nearby, which the £4 Hotel Hoppa bus
can get you to reasonably quickly.

R's,
John

Old January 9th, 2011, 03:01 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Jan[_1_]

www.sleepinginairports.com

Well worth saving to favourites

Jan

Old January 12th, 2011, 11:37 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Oppor Knockity

"AGW" wrote in message

We are a group of four (46-year-old agile male in a wheelchair, and four
able-bodied seniors). We'll have an eight-hour layover at LHR, Terminal 5
between a nine-hour flight from YYC and a seven-hour flight to DXB. What,
if any, places are there to sleep within the terminal? I'm assuming the
short time frame makes a quick trip to a hotel difficult if not
impossible; am I right?

You are not right. In addition to a couple of places to stay overnight
at LHR, there are several hotels in the vicinity, not far away. I had
a similar situation three years ago, with an overnight layover. I used
Priceline to find a hotel in the area, and got the London Heathrow
Marriott for a very reasonable price. Taxi fare from the airport to
the hotel (and back) wasn't expensive, especially considering the
convenience. It worked out quite well.

Of course, your eight-hour layover will probably allow you much less than
eight hours of actual time resting at a hotel, since you'll have to be
back at LHR in time to check in and clear security, so you'll want to
take that into account.