Alaska Cruise

Old October 31st, 2011, 01:39 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian[_1_]

Default Alaska Cruise

On Sat, 29 Oct 2011 10:21:40 -0400, Tom K
wrote:

And one nice thing they do, at least on their smaller ships, is open up
the bow of the ship for passengers to view the glaciers in Glacier Bay.
On many other cruise line ships, that area has a lot of mechanical
equipment so the area is closed off to passengers.

--Tom

We were on a Celebrity ship that had a bout 2000 passengers and they
did the same. I'm sure we saw much more that way.
Old October 31st, 2011, 05:58 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
RayC

On Sat, 29 Oct 2011 11:26:09 +0100, "Peterw"
wrote:

Isn't there a time of the year when Alaska is infested with flies??

Yeah ... tourist season!

--

Ray
+++++++++++++++++++++++
Old October 31st, 2011, 12:07 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Bill[_1_]

wrote:

Isn't there a time of the year when Alaska is infested with flies??

SummerG

I thought it was mosquitoes, not flies. Anyway, we were there last
August and did not have any. We came prepared with several cans of bug
spray!

Bill
Old October 31st, 2011, 06:27 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Earl_Colby_Pottinger

wrote:

Isn't there a time of the year when Alaska is infested with flies??

SummerG

I thought it was mosquitoes, not flies. Anyway, we were there last
August and did not have any. We came prepared with several cans of bug
spray!

She likes the idea of going in May, there are some ships starting near
the end of the month.

I talked a lot to her on the phone this weekend, as soon as she
confirms (sometime in the next two weeks) whether she can go in Feb
for the Caribbean trip or not we will look into booking Alaska.

Thank you all for all the posts.
Old October 31st, 2011, 10:16 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

On 10/29/11 12:42 PM, Earl_Colby_Pottinger wrote:
On Oct 29, 10:21 am, Tom wrote:

And one nice thing they do, at least on their smaller ships, is open up
the bow of the ship for passengers to view the glaciers in Glacier Bay.
On many other cruise line ships, that area has a lot of mechanical
equipment so the area is closed off to passengers.

Okay, that is news to me. Nice to know such. I hate being on one
side of the ship and later find out I missed a sight that was on the
other side.

HAL also has a narrator from the US Parks Service while in Glacier Bay.
He/She gives a nice talk at each of the different places and is good
at spotting things like wildlife. They're up in the crows nest lounge
(or whatever the name is up top in the front) and the talk goes through
all the speakers all over the ship.

We were on Volendam. Stick with one that size or smaller.

I thought the best excursion we did was to the glacier at Tracy Arm.
It's an excursion done the day of Juneau though they drop you off to an
excursion boat before docking in Juneau.

Old October 31st, 2011, 10:19 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

On 10/30/11 8:37 PM, Brian wrote:
On Sat, 29 Oct 2011 09:33:11 -0700 (PDT), Earl_Colby_Pottinger
wrote:

On Oct 25, 8:09 pm, wrote:

Are there cruises to Alaska in the winter?

Yes, I am dumb, dumb, dumb. My mind was too much on the Caribbean
cruise, stupid me.

Yes, I want to cruise during the summer months, I am *NOT* a winter
person at all.

Sorry, about the dumb dates.

We took a cruise on Celebrity and enjoyed it. We were with a group and
so didn't have a say in the schedule. While we enjoyed it, the cruise
was 7 days round trip from Vancouver. If we did it again, I would want
a cruise that only went one way and then take another form of
transportation the other way.

We did the round trip from Vancouver as well. We preferred doing a
number of days ahead of time in Vancouver instead of up in Danali. But
we've already seen Tundra in the northern parts of Norway, and I camped
in the Rockies during my youth, so time in Vancouver was a higher
attraction.

Old November 1st, 2011, 02:37 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Bill[_1_]

wrote:

Isn't there a time of the year when Alaska is infested with flies??

SummerG

I thought it was mosquitoes, not flies. Anyway, we were there last
August and did not have any. We came prepared with several cans of bug
spray!

She likes the idea of going in May, there are some ships starting near
the end of the month.

The only issue with going early in the season is, if you are going to
Denali, it may not be thawed enough for you to go all of the way into
the park (which can mean less animal sightings). There is a reason they
do not have earlier cruises. I'd investigate before going that early.

Bill
Old November 2nd, 2011, 03:50 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian[_1_]

On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 17:19:54 -0400, Tom K
wrote:

We did the round trip from Vancouver as well. We preferred doing a
number of days ahead of time in Vancouver instead of up in Danali. But
we've already seen Tundra in the northern parts of Norway, and I camped
in the Rockies during my youth, so time in Vancouver was a higher
attraction.

We flew into Seattle, spent a couple of days there, took the ferry to
Victoria and then the ferry to Vancouver. I think we spent 3 nights in
each place.
Old November 2nd, 2011, 03:52 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian[_1_]

On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 10:27:47 -0700 (PDT), Earl_Colby_Pottinger
wrote:

She likes the idea of going in May, there are some ships starting near
the end of the month.

I talked a lot to her on the phone this weekend, as soon as she
confirms (sometime in the next two weeks) whether she can go in Feb
for the Caribbean trip or not we will look into booking Alaska.

Thank you all for all the posts.

We went at the end of June into July. I think I remember someone
saying we had just missed the flies.

Old November 3rd, 2011, 12:47 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Carol Eskra

Out of 15 cruises my ten day Alaska cruise was the most expensive.
Unless you plan on staying on the ship and not take shore excursions,
you might want to start saving your money! The helicopter Mendenhall
glacier tour is now priced at $500.00 but worth every penny. All the
shore excursions are quite pricey in Alaska!