Oceania Cruise Line

Old October 29th, 2012, 10:27 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sandy[_5_]

Default Oceania Cruise Line

In the information booklets from the cruise line, it mentions very nice
amenaties for the balcony and veranda state rooms.
Do you know if the ocean view state rooms get any and if so, are they better
than the ones from Carnival?

Also is having a Guaranteed state room mean that your chance of getting an
up grade are any good or what exactly does it mean.

Sandy

Old October 31st, 2012, 04:18 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Paul Johnson

"Sandy" wrote in message

In the information booklets from the cruise line, it mentions very nice
amenaties for the balcony and veranda state rooms.
Do you know if the ocean view state rooms get any and if so, are they better
than the ones from Carnival?

Also is having a Guaranteed state room mean that your chance of getting an
up grade are any good or what exactly does it mean.

Sandy

All Oceania state rooms are nice, but to varying degrees. On the two older
ships (Nautica and Regatta) the rooms less than suites are smallish, but
still comfortable and nicely equipped. All rooms on the Marina or Riviera
are good sized and exceptionally comfortable and nicely equipped- very
comfortable beds, large lighted closets, large bathroom with both a tub and
a shower, frig, large flat screen TV, really neat LED reading lights at the
bed, sofa, desk and chair, small table.
Regarding ocean view rooms, I have not cruised Carnival, but it is a mass
market line and appears to us to be gaudy. The only ocean view rooms on
Marina/Riviera have the same floor space and layout as all veranda rooms.
The only difference is they have a fixed floor-to-ceiling window instead of
a sliding glass and veranda and they are above the main deck with good
views. On Nautica and Regatta the ocean view rooms vary a lot. Some are
below the main deck and have port holes. Some are above the main deck and
have picture windows. The "D" ocean view rooms are very small (no sofa) and
have obstructed views (behind the life boats). We did a Panama Canal cruise
on Nautica with a "D" and found the room adequate, but we would not book
those rooms again. We have booked a December cruise with an ocean view.
Two years ago we booked an ocean view for the Marina maiden voyage, but
ended up getting a free upgrade to a consierege-level balcony room. Our
experience is that Oceania will offer an upgrade, but not for free. We
declined such offers and eventually were upgraded for free. We may get an
upgrade in December, but aren't counting on it. We really kind of want to
try the ocean view rooms.
I suggest that you go to Oceania.com and review the deck plans. The website
also has 360-degree views of the rooms. We especially like Oceania-great
food, everyone greets you with a smile, even deck hands. A major
consideration for us is the open dining. Except for the specialty dining
venues which require reservations, but are free (two on Nautica/Regatta and
four on Marina/Riviera), you can dine where you want at any time. And,
there are no formals.
On the down side, Oceania has become more pricey as they have become
popular, but you do get a lot for your money. Some more popular cruises
book very quickly. When we booked the Marina maiden voyage our TA had to
keep trying for an hour and a half first thing in the morning of bookings
being opened to even get through to Oceania and they sold out very shortly
after that.
Air is included and many experienced travelers say you can do better booking
your own air and taking credit from Oceania. Our TA tried, but couldn't
match the Oceania deal. Their transfer fees at the airport are high, but
they take responsibility for getting you to the ship. On our first cruise
with Oceania, we had a weather delay and missed our connection in Paris.
Air France took good care of us and got us on the next available flight.
When we arrived at Lisbon Oceania had a mini-van waiting and they zipped us
right to the ship.
Enjoy.