Couple more questions... HAL's new tipping policy.

Old July 31st, 2004, 03:42 PM

Default Couple more questions... HAL's new tipping policy.

...Perhaps I missed something, but.... The way I understand it.... If
one prefers to tip individually, the crew member must put the money in a
"common" pot if "HE" knows that the cruiser has had the 10 bucks per day
removed from his account. ...However... The cruiser supposedly cannot
have the added "tip??" charge removed from his account (if he so
desires), until the last day of the cruise.
...So how would this work, as even now, everyone (who does tip), does so
before receiving his final "disputable" bill ?
...So you end up tipping the dining room staff etc., as per usual.
....Then, they turn their tips in (Or hold them upfront) until they know
for sure you haven't had the automatic charges removed on the morning of
your departure ?? ...I think not; nobody's that honest.

...And what about room service? ...We always tip 2 or 3 bucks for the
morning coffee delivery, or for a sandwich delivered at night. ...Does
the crew man have to turn this money into a common pot too? ...Jon

Old July 31st, 2004, 03:59 PM
0 O

WE will be on Zuiderdan Aug 14 - plan to complain --

FAIR WINDS

Old July 31st, 2004, 03:59 PM
0 O

Old July 31st, 2004, 03:59 PM
0 O

Old July 31st, 2004, 04:33 PM
User 1.nospam

wrote in message
[...]

You have the basic gist of it. Believe me...your activities are tracked,
both by room and table number. I believe the pool arrangement works,
whether the staff agrees with it or not. Remember, these folks want to
renew their labor contract, and any glitch, such as withholding a direct
tip, could mean their dismissal. Even if they are on their 'last' labor
period, they want a good recommendation for their future.

Our HAL waiter was immediately on the 'hot seat' for bringing our dessert
menu before the normally scheduled moment.

That brings up an interesting scenario....who gets your table tip if you
choose to eat on the Lido all the time? My best guess would be your
assigned table personnel. On the other hand, if you were a real chiseler
you could remove your auto-tip, eat on the Lido and save all the table tips
for yourself.

Which begs the question...why cruise at all? tongue-in-cheek You can stay
home, save the price of the cruise, airfare to the port, eat at McDonalds
and buy National Geographic travelogues of the places to which you would
otherwise cruise. Then you could bequeath your savings to your eligible,
deserving heirs.

Old July 31st, 2004, 07:32 PM
Dick Goldhaber

Here is the answer that Danni received from HAL:

Dear Ms. Goldhaber,

Thank you for your e-mail regarding our tipping policy. To answer your
question, crew members are allowed to keep additional tips from passengers
who do not ask to lower the $10.00 a day amount that is posted to their on
board account. This is done because we feel that the service our guests
receive requires a teamwork of many people, many whom passengers never

see.
Therefore, we do not feel it would be fair for a passenger to adjust the
tipping amount off of their on board bill and then only tip a select few
crew members. However, if a passenger wants to tip a select few crew
members above the tipping amount automatically posted to their on board
bill, then those crew members are allowed to keep those tips personally.

We realize that this new policy will bring up some questions from
passengers, and we hope we have helped you understand the specifics of

this
tipping policy.

Best regards,

Debbie
Customer Relations
Holland America Line

All of this raises an additional question. When is the "last day" of the
cruise? My definition would be the day BEFORE you arrive for debarkation.
Otherwise nobody would be getting off of the ship while the front desk tries
to deal with all of the changes.

Personally I have no intention of changing the automatic tip. For me it is
a chance to leave cash at home.
--
DG in Cherry Hill, NJ