Train Travel in Europe

Old December 22nd, 2006, 11:56 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Deeply Filled Mortician

Default Train Travel in Europe

Let is be knownst that on 22 Dec 2006 23:11:31 GMT, Jesper Lauridsen
writted:

On 2006-11-24, Dave Frightens Me wrote:

Conversely I love the morning prayer calls in middle eastern
countries. It's really beautiful.

Not at 5 AM right next to the hotel you only checked into at 4.30 AM and
have to leave again at 11 AM.

I guess I would never put myself in that position. If you like silence
than much, don't go to a city centre!
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com
Old December 22nd, 2006, 11:59 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor

Deeply Filled Mortician

On 2006-11-24, Dave Frightens Me

wrote:

Conversely I love the morning prayer calls in middle eastern
countries. It's really beautiful.

Not at 5 AM right next to the hotel you only checked into at 4.30 AM and
have to leave again at 11 AM.

I guess I would never put myself in that position. If you like silence
than much, don't go to a city centre!

I don't care. I don't see the attraction of the piped muezzin's call to
prayer any more than piped Tchaikovsky out of loudspeakers at that time
in the morning. I live in a city centre, and have relatively little
noise in my apartment. It's my one problem when staying in quaint little
places on vacation- the street noise. When I'm on business, I'll insist
on a quiet room, and frequently move when I'm not satisfied.

--
(*) ... of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
David Horne- http://www.davidhorne.net
Old December 25th, 2006, 04:55 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor

The Reid wrote:

On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 23:59:06 +0000, (David Horne,
_the_ chancellor (*)) wrote:

It's my one problem when staying in quaint little
places on vacation- the street noise. When I'm on business, I'll insist
on a quiet room, and frequently move when I'm not satisfied.

I had a room in Sevilla with unsilenced trail bikes collecting the
next days newspapers outside, I'm not sure quiet is understood in
Spain!

In Seville, we stayed in a Hostal which had a lovely quiet central
courtyard, as a lot of them do there. Our room was pristine and
blissfully quiet. Until we could hear people doing the dishes, screaming
at the top of their voices and listening to a radio or TV at top volume
at 3 in the morning!

The hotel I stay in when in Barcelona has rooms with no view in the
middle of the building. The view sucks, certainly, but I choose them
because they're quiet. Apart from some which pick up the ridiculous iped
US pop music in the corridors!

Old January 2nd, 2007, 11:09 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jesper Lauridsen[_1_]

On 2006-11-24, Dave Frightens Me wrote:

Conversely I love the morning prayer calls in middle eastern
countries. It's really beautiful.

Not at 5 AM right next to the hotel you only checked into at 4.30 AM and
have to leave again at 11 AM.

I guess I would never put myself in that position. If you like silence
than much, don't go to a city centre!

It was a seaside resort! Anyway, I didn't pick it. The arrival time
was due to a delayed flight, and the company switching hotel at the
last minute (claimed it was an upgrade). The departure time was due to
the movements of the Earth and the Moon with respect to the Sun.
Old January 3rd, 2007, 11:09 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
The Reid

On Tue, 2 Jan 2007 21:26:43 -0500, (David Horne,
_the_ chancellor (*)) wrote:

what were you doing in bed at dinnertime? Nobody in Sevilla goes to
bed that early. :-)

Except us!

you could split your sleeping, there's a thing called a siesta for the
hot part of the day!

The hotel I stay in when in Barcelona has rooms with no view in the
middle of the building.

We stay overlooking the rambla! Photo from bedroom:-
"http://www.fell-walker.co.uk/bar6.htm"

Way too noisy for me I'm afraid!

PARDON? :-)
I tend to stand on the balcony with a brandy people watching till I
cant stay awake any longer, then crash out.

BTW (on topic!) no doubt you are not impressed by London Manchester
(amoung other) train price hikes to reduce crowding, by er, forcing
people back onto the , er, empty motorways, shirly shum mistake?
(took six hours on M1/M6 London-South Lakes with xmas traffic, why
cant the *******s just post the bloody presents and stay at home? :-)
still, the rest of the journey was a traffic free joy, pity there isnt
a single lane mountain road from Bexley to Wasdale!)

Hah hah hah ha hah, got away with a Sevilla ha ha hah hah hah. Wanders
off like mad king in LOR - which being alone in Wasdale I watched back
to back %-S is probably the emoticon for that? Actually %-S is more
Picasso portrait, isnt it?
--
Mike Reid
UK Walking - photos "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" -- you can email us@ this site
Old January 3rd, 2007, 03:46 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Deeply Filled Mortician

Let is be knownst that on Wed, 03 Jan 2007 11:09:38 +0000, The Reid
writted:

PARDON? :-)
I tend to stand on the balcony with a brandy people watching till I
cant stay awake any longer, then crash out.

BTW (on topic!) no doubt you are not impressed by London Manchester
(amoung other) train price hikes to reduce crowding, by er, forcing
people back onto the , er, empty motorways, shirly shum mistake?
(took six hours on M1/M6 London-South Lakes with xmas traffic, why
cant the *******s just post the bloody presents and stay at home? :-)
still, the rest of the journey was a traffic free joy, pity there isnt
a single lane mountain road from Bexley to Wasdale!)

Hah hah hah ha hah, got away with a Sevilla ha ha hah hah hah. Wanders
off like mad king in LOR - which being alone in Wasdale I watched back
to back %-S is probably the emoticon for that? Actually %-S is more
Picasso portrait, isnt it?

Anyone else have a champagne breaky? )
--
---