Mexican Food or "Fed up...."

Old January 21st, 2005, 06:23 PM
James Silverton

"Des Small" wrote in message
The Reids writes:

Following up to nitram

If you insist on using Napoli Roma then please always use Roma and
Nieuw Amsterdam or Neu Jorvik :-)

Joking aside, I decided that the english versions of such easy to
say names are pointless

Those are still their English names, though. The French still refer
to Londres and Edimbourgh, and I stick with Turin ("Torino") and
Kiev
("Kyiv"). Is it even the "Torino Shroud" in your universe?

and Florence just confuses.

Yebbut "Fiorenze" risks getting pronounced "Fee-or-enz".

What point is there in Naples over Napoli?

It's the English name. For example, if you're using the English
interface of the Easyjet site you would at least need to know that
"Naples" was what you call "Napoli".

I generally call Copenhagen (DK "København", SE "Köpenhamn")
"Shoppingharbour", though, at least in contexts where I can expect
that to be understood.

How do you pronounce Copenhagen (Merchants Harbor, I'd have thought)?
Do you say "Copenhaygen" or ."..hargen"? The former pronunciation used
to be the normal one in most varieties of English until a movie with
Danny Kaye made an attempt to sound like the Danish København and
introduced "...hargen". My personal observation is that "...hargen"
is the most common pronunciation these days in US English tho' I have
not heard any attempts at the first Danish vowel (represented as an o
with a line across it if Outlook Express does not post it). Ain't PC
wonderful!

--
James V. Silverton
Potomac, Maryland, USA

Old January 21st, 2005, 06:33 PM
Kristian

"James Silverton" wrote:
"Des Small" wrote in message
The Reids writes:

I generally call Copenhagen (DK "København", SE "Köpenhamn")
"Shoppingharbour", though, at least in contexts where I can expect
that to be understood.

How do you pronounce Copenhagen (Merchants Harbor, I'd have thought)?
Do you say "Copenhaygen" or ."..hargen"? The former pronunciation used
to be the normal one in most varieties of English until a movie with
Danny Kaye made an attempt to sound like the Danish København and
introduced "...hargen". My personal observation is that "...hargen"
is the most common pronunciation these days in US English tho' I have
not heard any attempts at the first Danish vowel (represented as an o
with a line across it if Outlook Express does not post it). Ain't PC
wonderful!

----------
The "right" pronounciation at least as we Danes are concerned would
be "Copenhaygen".

Kristian
Old January 22nd, 2005, 11:24 PM
Ken Blake

In ,
The Reids typed:

I'm not sure if this is a bit of an exaggeration but I have
read
that the path of pizza to Rome was Napoli-New York-Roma!

I have no proof that that's true but that's long been my
understanding. Not just New York to Roma, but New York to all the
rest of Italy.

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

Old January 22nd, 2005, 11:31 PM
James Silverton

Hatunen wrote:
On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 15:11:55 +0000, The Reids
wrote:

Following up to James Silverton

Pizza parlors were nice covers for the Italian gangsters in the
USA.

The first place that I ever saw the cook throwing the pizza dough into
the air with a spinning motion to get a disc was San Francisco in
1959, so help me!

--
James V. Silverton
Potomac, Maryland, USA

Old January 22nd, 2005, 11:45 PM
Hatunen

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 21:24:04 -0500, "James Silverton"
wrote:

"Hatunen" wrote in message
Pizza in california is equally bad. white bread, ketchup, mystery
meat.

I'm not sure how much pizza you've had in California, but I think
you're making one of those sweeping generalizations based on
limited experience. There's all kinds of pizza available in
California.

Let's be honest, it may not be be too "authentic" and it *is not*
particularly healthy but the chain "Mexican" food is often quite
tasty and my kids loved it; chimichangas and all!

That's an odd case. The invention of the chimichanga is often
credited to the Tucson resaurant El Charro which is owned and
operated by Mexicans, or Mexican-Americans, and has been for
many, many years. If "Mexican" means invented geographically
south of the border, then so be it, but here in Tucson we don't
much make that kind of distinction.

IMHO, Sonoran food
is not the stuff of "haut cusine" and when people migrated over the
border they modified it with available ingredients; not really an
improvement.

Here in southern Arizona they have the same ingredients. Perhaps
you can clarify some examples of ingredients that weren't
available in Sonora?

I see and taste no difference when I travel south into Sonora, a
mere 100 km away.

Old January 22nd, 2005, 11:48 PM
Hatunen

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 15:37:07 -0700, randee
wrote:

Hmm, I spent much of 1999 and 2000 in Santa Maria and I really don't
remember a Shakey's, although the name sounds vaguely familiar. The big
thing in Santa Maria now seems to be BBQ brisket.

We had a Shakey's here in Tucson in 1966, with a banjo-led music
group performing. Struck me a little like the Firehouse Five plus
Two.

Old January 22nd, 2005, 11:50 PM
Hatunen

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 09:57:27 -0500, "James Silverton"
wrote:

"The Reids" wrote in message
.. .

I went to Napoli recently and the types of pizza people were
eating didnt resemble much of the stuff you see outside Italy.
Simpler, sometimes even plain or just mozzarella and leaves. I
suspect selling a chicken in cream sauce pizza in Naples would
result in a visit by the Comorra :-)

While I first read of pizza as a Neapolitan dish in the early 50s
(publicity for Sophia Loren, so help me!),

Ah... The movie "Gold of Naples". Worth the admission jsut to see
Sophia walk down the street.

Old January 22nd, 2005, 11:51 PM
Hatunen

wrote:

Following up to James Silverton

While I first read of pizza as a Neapolitan dish in the early 50s
(publicity for Sophia Loren, so help me!), I got to know pizza in the
US in the late 50s and I was surprised how much simpler was that on
sale in Rome in the early 60s. Practically all of it was served as a
snacks of small saucer-sized pizzas with just tomato sauce and cheese.
More elaborate varieties did creep in and some quite complicated
toppings (rivalling US ones) were on sale in Verona as early as the
80s.

I'm not sure if this is a bit of an exaggeration but I have read
that the path of pizza to Rome was Napoli-New York-Roma! Even if
true it presumably was the early "pure" versions. However its
also said something like pizza existed in ancient Rome, so who
knows.

Old January 23rd, 2005, 06:28 PM
Frank F. Matthews

wrote:

"The Reids" wrote in message

I went to Napoli recently and the types of pizza people were
eating didnt resemble much of the stuff you see outside Italy.
Simpler, sometimes even plain or just mozzarella and leaves. I
suspect selling a chicken in cream sauce pizza in Naples would
result in a visit by the Comorra :-)

While I first read of pizza as a Neapolitan dish in the early 50s
(publicity for Sophia Loren, so help me!),

Ah... The movie "Gold of Naples". Worth the admission jsut to see
Sophia walk down the street.

and not to mention pizza Lollobrigida.

Did she ever make it as a politician?

Old January 24th, 2005, 10:06 AM
The Reids

Following up to nitram

I'm not going to be consistent, many local names I don't even
know or couldn't spell, just drift in that direction away from
unneeded changes.

Then don't do it!

why not?
--