What is it with some people? A restau-rant.

Old October 12th, 2006, 05:27 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Padraig Breathnach

Default What is it with some people? A restau-rant.

"Ian F." wrote:

"Padraig Breathnach" wrote in message
.. .

Some restaurateurs think that they can do this at any time. Did you
give your business to that unwelcoming establishment?

I've been going there for years and know the owner very well. A more
charming man you couldn't wish to meet.

I'd have done exactly the same thing - miserable cheapskates!

If they had queued and there was no indication of a minimum charge, I
would have thought them entitled to service. They might not have been
cheapskates, but simply short of money.

One way for the establishment to deal with it is to point out that
there is pressure on tables, and ask them not to take too long.

--
PB
The return address has been MUNGED
Old October 12th, 2006, 05:38 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
B Vaughan

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 15:15:38 +0100, "Ian F."
wrote:

Mrs. F. and I were in our favourite small traditional Italian restaurant
in Soho, London last night around 9pm. All the bars and restaurants in the
area were extremely busy and there were small queues (lines) at several of
them, including ours.

A table for two came free next to us and two young American girls took it.
They read the menu, and tried to order one starter-portion bowl of pasta
between them! They were duly sent packing!

What on earth makes people think they can do this at such a busy time?

Any restaurant I know would have served it.
--
Barbara Vaughan
My email address is my first initial followed by my surname at libero dot it
Old October 12th, 2006, 05:41 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Alan[_1_]

"Ian F." wrote:

"Padraig Breathnach" wrote in message
. ..

Some restaurateurs think that they can do this at any time. Did you
give your business to that unwelcoming establishment?

I've been going there for years and know the owner very well. A more
charming man you couldn't wish to meet.

I'd have done exactly the same thing - miserable cheapskates!

If they had queued and there was no indication of a minimum charge, I
would have thought them entitled to service. They might not have been
cheapskates, but simply short of money.

One way for the establishment to deal with it is to point out that
there is pressure on tables, and ask them not to take too long.

--
PB
The return address has been MUNGED
My travel writing: http://www.iol.ie/~draoi/

the profit on half a starter each would not have paid for the staff's time
to prepare and serve it, not to mention the clearing and washing up also,
who knows how long they would have occupied the table whilst having a
natter, the restaurant need's to make a healthy profit to pay their
outgoings and to cover the slack times if all they can afford is half a
starter each then perhaps they should go to a soup kitchen for down and
outs, i wonder if they bought a single seat on the plane over and shared
it

Old October 12th, 2006, 05:41 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Viking

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 17:27:43 +0100, Padraig Breathnach
wrote:

"Ian F." wrote:

"Padraig Breathnach" wrote in message
. ..

Some restaurateurs think that they can do this at any time. Did you
give your business to that unwelcoming establishment?

I've been going there for years and know the owner very well. A more
charming man you couldn't wish to meet.

I'd have done exactly the same thing - miserable cheapskates!

If they had queued and there was no indication of a minimum charge, I
would have thought them entitled to service. They might not have been
cheapskates, but simply short of money.

Agreed. No posted min charge, no way to justify shoving them out the
door.

Old October 12th, 2006, 05:47 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Lennart Petersen

"Ian F." skrev i meddelandet
"Viking" wrote in message

What makes their crime so horrible that it made you post? Most
restaurants I know would not have thrown them out.

Expecting to be welcomed for buying half-a-starter each in a small, busy
restaurant.
Ian

A decent restaurant accepts all customers, whether they're big business or
not.
So try a little more decent restaurant next time.

Old October 12th, 2006, 05:50 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Lennart Petersen

"Ian F." skrev i meddelandet
"Padraig Breathnach" wrote in message

Some restaurateurs think that they can do this at any time. Did you
give your business to that unwelcoming establishment?

I've been going there for years and know the owner very well. A more
charming man you couldn't wish to meet.

Probably those two young Americans have another opinion about his "charm".
Seem to be the typical arrogant British style we love so much.

Old October 12th, 2006, 05:51 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Viking

wrote:

Mrs. F. and I were in our favourite small traditional Italian restaurant
in Soho, London last night around 9pm. All the bars and restaurants in the
area were extremely busy and there were small queues (lines) at several of
them, including ours.

A table for two came free next to us and two young American girls took it.
They read the menu, and tried to order one starter-portion bowl of pasta
between them! They were duly sent packing!

What on earth makes people think they can do this at such a busy time?

Any restaurant I know would have served it.

Unless, presumably, it posts a minimum charge.
Old October 12th, 2006, 06:00 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Lennart Petersen

wrote:

Mrs. F. and I were in our favourite small traditional Italian restaurant
in Soho, London last night around 9pm. All the bars and restaurants in the
area were extremely busy and there were small queues (lines) at several of
them, including ours.

A table for two came free next to us and two young American girls took it.
They read the menu, and tried to order one starter-portion bowl of pasta
between them! They were duly sent packing!

What on earth makes people think they can do this at such a busy time?

Any restaurant I know would have served it.
--
Barbara Vaughan
My email address is my first initial followed by my surname at libero dot
it

------------
Remember the famous French actor Louis de Funes ?
In one of his best movies he played an owner to a big and famous restaurant.
To try his staff and how they worked he arrived disguised, took a table and
ordered "one radish" exactly. To no surprise they acted somewhat rude to
a such order but was scared when the guest revealed himself. The
underlying meaning was of course that everyone should be welcome to his
restaurant.

Old October 12th, 2006, 06:10 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Ian F.

"Viking" wrote in message

Unless, presumably, it posts a minimum charge.

As I said elsewhere, I'm not sure but I imagine they do.

Forgot also to say they did not intend to have a drink either - they asked
for two glasses of tap water! :-)

Ian

Old October 12th, 2006, 06:15 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Bob Barnett

Ian F. wrote:
"Viking" wrote in message

Unless, presumably, it posts a minimum charge.

As I said elsewhere, I'm not sure but I imagine they do.

Forgot also to say they did not intend to have a drink either - they asked
for two glasses of tap water! :-)

Ian

They should have been taken out through the kitchen and pimped out to arabs.