How Not To Be An Ugly American

Old October 22nd, 2006, 06:17 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
B Vaughan

Default How Not To Be An Ugly American

On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 16:51:09 +0100, Padraig Breathnach
wrote:

B wrote:

On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 14:03:23 +0100, Keith Anderson
wrote:

You have to be able to listen to the William Tell Overture without
thinking of the Lone Ranger.

****, I guess I'm not in the intelligentsia.

We would have told you that, had you asked.

I don't know if I trust any of you guys to judge the issue.

--
Barbara Vaughan
My email address is my first initial followed by my surname at libero dot it
Old October 22nd, 2006, 06:48 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Ian F.

"Magda" wrote in message

I am not acquainted with your anatomy, Greg. Or with "froups".

http://www.answerbag.com/q_view.php/8187

HTH

Ian

Old October 22nd, 2006, 11:30 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Alan S[_1_]

On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 18:48:33 +0100, "Ian F."
wrote:

"Magda" wrote in message
.. .

I am not acquainted with your anatomy, Greg. Or with "froups".

http://www.answerbag.com/q_view.php/8187

HTH

Ian

I'll be darned. And I always assumed it was just a typo. But
then, it was originally.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
--
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com/
latest: Tarascon - Chateau du Roi Rene
Old October 23rd, 2006, 12:43 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Hatunen

On 22 Oct 2006 04:40:10 -0700, "TC"
wrote:

Are You An Ugly American?
Hannah Clark, 05.19.06, 12:00 PM ET

New York -

Do you know the difference between Australia and Austria?

What a horribly condescending question.

While
overseas, have you ever lectured locals on their country's political
woes? Let's hope you answered "of course" and "of course not."

Now if we could just stop people from overseas from lecturing us
on our political woes.

Old October 23rd, 2006, 12:55 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Padraig Breathnach

Hatunen wrote:

On 22 Oct 2006 04:40:10 -0700, "TC"
wrote:

While
overseas, have you ever lectured locals on their country's political
woes? Let's hope you answered "of course" and "of course not."

Now if we could just stop people from overseas from lecturing us
on our political woes.

The problem is that your political woes often affect people overseas.

--
PB
The return address has been MUNGED
Old October 23rd, 2006, 02:00 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jena

Some people will write anything to sell books. Too bad that people will buy
them and believe them. I prefer to learn from my own life expereinces.
There are good and ugly in all nationalities and I have seen it for myself
in my travels...No nationality has a corner on being one of the most
arrogant or rude. That commonality is shared by all countries as is the one
of respect, politeness and concern for others. You can not generalize and
sterotype because of just a few experiences or hearsay.

The term *Ugly American* started from the book where an ugly looking
American was the good guy and the handsome one was the bad one. It is now
used in a different way and out of context. We, as individuals are
responsible for the image that we portray to others at home or abroad. Some
people seem not to be able to criticize without ridiculing or calling names.
I prefer to share and appreciate the differences in all cultures.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ugly_American

JMHO,
Jena

Old October 23rd, 2006, 02:26 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Gregory Morrow[_6_]

Martin wrote:

On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 16:41:59 GMT, "Gregory Morrow"
gregorymorrowONACLEARDAYYOUCANSEEALOAFHEAD@earthl ink.net wrote:

Martin wrote:

On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 16:27:54 GMT, "Bioboffin"
wrote:

Martin wrote:
On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 16:02:11 GMT, "Bioboffin"
wrote:

Magda wrote:
On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 17:31:44 +0200, in rec.travel.europe, B
arranged some electrons, so they looked

like
this:

... wrote:
... You have to be able to listen to the William Tell Overture
without ... thinking of the Lone Ranger.
... ****, I guess I'm not in the intelligentsia.

I am - but just because I don't have the foggiest who/what "Lone
Ranger" is.

Don't tell me!

This probably just means that you are too young!

Nah she is uneducated and flattery will get you no where.

Oh, I don't know. Worked with you, didn't it?

It did? Are you confusing me with somebody else?

On another froup Magda complimented me on my intelligence and my large
penis...

She called you a big dick head?

Well, I am just not *any* common fop, you know :-)

--
Best
Greg

Old October 23rd, 2006, 02:40 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Alan S[_1_]

On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 16:43:12 -0700, Hatunen
wrote:

Do you know the difference between Australia and Austria?

What a horribly condescending question.

Possibly. Except that it was answered incorrectly by
several people I met in the USA.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
Old October 23rd, 2006, 02:44 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

wrote:

Do you know the difference between Australia and Austria?

What a horribly condescending question.

Possibly. Except that it was answered incorrectly by
several people I met in the USA.

People in other parts of the world are equally ignorant of geography.
And Europeans are just as bad IME of confusing Scotland with England as
Americans are. FWIW.

--
David Horne- http://www.davidhorne.net
http://www.davidhorne.net/pictures.html http://soundjunction.org
Old October 23rd, 2006, 03:07 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jena

"Alan S" wrote in message
On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 16:43:12 -0700,
Possibly. Except that it was answered incorrectly by
several people I met in the USA.

Cheers, Alan, Australia

Alan, why pray tell, would you, as a tourist, go around even asking people
such a questions?
It amuses me. If I were in Australia, that would be the last thing on my
mind; asking geography questions of the people there..

Jena