E-Z Car Rental

Old December 4th, 2006, 08:47 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.usa-canada
me

Default E-Z Car Rental

I just used these folks, for the first time. I just felt like sharing.
If you are flying into places in FL, AZ, GA and maybe a coupla
more states, they will often come up as lowest with sites like orbitz.
I ended up with a pretty good price, but ****!

Here's the story: made the reservation through orbitz, but noticed
some conditions listed with the reservation that made me pause.
The main one was the statement that renters MUST show insurance
that covers the rental, else renter must buy the rip-off CDW the
rental car companies always like to push on people. I have been
renting cars for years, and have never purchased the rip-off
insurance, and never needed it either. I've been a licensed
driver for 34 years with NO accidents, believe it or not, and
damn few tickets...one in the past 27 years. Anyway, I called
the # listed with my res and asked the guy there (this was apparently
at the very office I rented from two days later) about it. And I believe
this guy was the manager. He stated that this requirement was for
residents of that state only (I was flying in from out of state), not
for me. So, when I arrive to pick up the car, the story had changed.
I was told that I must show proof of insurance to cover the car,
so I told the guy behind the counter (with later learning that the
other guy nearby was the manager I spoke with on phone) that
the car was covered to its full value with the insurance that
came with the platinum MC I was using to rent the car with.
This bounced off his head and he kept at it. I repeated and
told him to call the # on back of card if he had any questions.
(This always amuses me with car rental people. They usually
act like they have no idea that some cards provide this coverage.)
This I think finally sunk in, but then he began to bleat about liability
etc. I reminded him that car rental companies are required, by law,
to have liability coverage on their cars....so then he went back
to the collision coverage thing again. I wasn't getting very far.
I told him I only had liability on my personal cars and BING,
he then, with new energy, said I MUST buy the CDW, else
he wouldn't give me a car. I should've walked away at that
point, but I was in a pretty laid-back mood and had time
to play, so I didn't. I also felt that with these guys, if I'd
walked away, a cancellation charge would show up on my
card, even though he said none would. Soooo, I finally decided
to walk, and when the manager, who;d been observing the conversation
all along, called me back, and asked me what kind of card I was renting
with. He said if I'd write the number of the card, along with the number
on the back, on their "decline" sheet, he'd let me have the car! With
some reluctance, I took the car.

The car was in fairly good condition, but had over 20k miles on it
and needed a front end alignment. Since I was driving the car
several hundred miles, I decided to check the oil. After driving
the car out of the lot and parking at a level spot and going into
a store, I checked it and saw that the level was WAY below
the MIN line on the dipstick. So, I had to find an auto parts
store to get the fairly unusual wt the manufacturer recommended.
This poor machine was starved for engine oil and I consider
what I did an act of mercy. Anyway, there were no wrecks
or damage to the car, and my brief association with this company
is apparently over. But I guess I won't know for sure till the
charges show up on my card. Bottom line: lowest price
is not always the best deal. I would rent from companies
like this with some caution, although I have had some of
the majors try to push the rip-off insurance on me too,
though not nearly at this extent. And of course the lie
I was told over the phone. One thing about this expensive
CDW insurance. It has a $1500 ded., and does NOT
cover theft, and is always considered secondary coverage.
What a damn rip-off. Did I say that already?

Old December 4th, 2006, 11:25 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

my luck was the opposite. rented the car in orlando just outside the
airport. brought my insurance cover sheet, which is common sense
whenever renting a car, despite what you are told on the phone, and was
on my way with a free upgraded car in under 15 minutes......

Chuck

Old December 4th, 2006, 11:48 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.usa-canada
Mike Hunt

me wrote:
[...]

Actually, not all states require the rental company to provide the
liability insurance free. That is why they were asking for proof that
you had it. My liability and collision insurance covers any car I drive.
Old December 5th, 2006, 08:10 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.usa-canada
PeterL

me wrote:
I just used these folks, for the first time. I just felt like sharing.
If you are flying into places in FL, AZ, GA and maybe a coupla
more states, they will often come up as lowest with sites like orbitz.
I ended up with a pretty good price, but ****!

Here's the story: made the reservation through orbitz, but noticed
some conditions listed with the reservation that made me pause.
The main one was the statement that renters MUST show insurance
that covers the rental, else renter must buy the rip-off CDW the
rental car companies always like to push on people. I have been
renting cars for years, and have never purchased the rip-off
insurance, and never needed it either.

Neither have I. But I carry my insurance card with me so I don't have
to.

In some states it's a requirement that you show that you have the
insurance.

Old December 7th, 2006, 02:21 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.usa-canada
me

"Mike Hunt" postmaster@localhost wrote in message

Actually, not all states require the rental company to provide the
liability insurance free.

Mike, check this out: http://www.iii.org/individuals/auto/a/rentalcar/

" Rental companies are required by law to provide the minimum level of
liability insurance required by your state. "

That is why they were asking for proof that you had it.

I always carry my insurance cards in my wallet, and had them then. I
obviously did not
need their rip-off insurance. And, as I said, the platinum card I was
using fully covered
their car, for even theft, up to its full value. Then there was the
discrepancy between what
I was told over the phone and what I was being told at the counter.....
These people
were behaving unscrupulously. I don't plan to do business with them again.

Old December 7th, 2006, 02:24 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.usa-canada
me

"PeterL" wrote in message
ups.com...

me wrote:
I just used these folks, for the first time. I just felt like sharing.
If you are flying into places in FL, AZ, GA and maybe a coupla
more states, they will often come up as lowest with sites like orbitz.
I ended up with a pretty good price, but ****!

Here's the story: made the reservation through orbitz, but noticed
some conditions listed with the reservation that made me pause.
The main one was the statement that renters MUST show insurance
that covers the rental, else renter must buy the rip-off CDW the
rental car companies always like to push on people. I have been
renting cars for years, and have never purchased the rip-off
insurance, and never needed it either.

Neither have I. But I carry my insurance card with me so I don't have
to.

I had proof with me too: my cards for liability coverage, and the platinum
card (with 800 # on back for verification if they wanted it) which covered
the car to its full value. See my response to Mike above.

Old December 8th, 2006, 03:57 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.usa-canada
john chapman

I had a similar experience with E-Z. A real hassle with insurance and a dog
of a car. Never again. JOHN

Old December 8th, 2006, 04:03 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected][_1_]

john chapman wrote:
I had a similar experience with E-Z. A real hassle with insurance and a dog
of a car. Never again. JOHN

Thanks

That tells me not to rent a car from them when I am in Fort Lauderdale
in April. If I do decide to rent a car, I think I will spend a few
more dollars and go with someone else.

Michael

Old December 8th, 2006, 05:36 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.usa-canada
Rog'

wrote:
john chapman wrote:
I had a similar experience with E-Z. A real hassle
with insurance and a dog of a car. Never again.

That tells me not to rent a car from them when I am in Fort
Lauderdale in April. If I do decide to rent a car, I think I
will spend a few more dollars and go with someone else.

I wouldn't deal with such a domestic rental company. IMO,
The old adage, "You get what you pay for," has applies here,
more or less. I think that there are 3 classes of rental agencies:
(a) El-Cheapo's who are miserable to deal with (Vegas' Thrifty).
(b) Middle-Class like Alamo, Budget, Dollar & National
(c) Royalty -- Avis & Hertz, for whom you pay for the name.

Old December 8th, 2006, 11:54 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.usa-canada
Mike Hunt

Rog' wrote:

I wouldn't deal with such a domestic rental company. IMO,
The old adage, "You get what you pay for," has applies here,
more or less. I think that there are 3 classes of rental agencies:
(a) El-Cheapo's who are miserable to deal with (Vegas' Thrifty).
(b) Middle-Class like Alamo, Budget, Dollar & National
(c) Royalty -- Avis & Hertz, for whom you pay for the name.

Hertz doesn't always cost more. Often it cost less than some of the others.