Zion or Grand Canyon?

Old April 18th, 2007, 02:59 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Toller

Default Zion or Grand Canyon?

I am going to Las Vegas in July with my son. We have 1.5 days free at the
end and I was planning on going to the Grand Canyon; but I didn't realize
how far it was.
Zion is much closer. Is Zion sufficiently spectacular that I won't feel bad
about skipping the Grand Canyon?
I saw the Grand Canyon 40 years ago, and hopefully he will be back some day;
but still....

Thanks.

On a similar subject; we have a half day free at the beginning. I was
planning on going out to Red Rocks. Any alternatives that can be done in
half a day?

Old April 18th, 2007, 04:58 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
chris2x

On Apr 18, 6:59 am, "Toller" wrote:
I am going to Las Vegas in July with my son. We have 1.5 days free at the
end and I was planning on going to the Grand Canyon; but I didn't realize
how far it was.
Zion is much closer. Is Zion sufficiently spectacular that I won't feel bad
about skipping the Grand Canyon?
I saw the Grand Canyon 40 years ago, and hopefully he will be back some day;
but still....

Thanks.

On a similar subject; we have a half day free at the beginning. I was
planning on going out to Red Rocks. Any alternatives that can be done in
half a day?

Zion is very beautiful. I don't think it has the same grandeur as the
Grand Canyon. If you like hiking to angel's nest or hiking in the
narrows Zion might be a great place for you. Also the North rim of the
Grand Canyon is much closer. I have done a series of podcasts in 2005
on Bryce, Zion, Antelope Canyon and Grand Canyon. You might check out
the episodes list at AmateurTraveler.com

Chris Christensen
Amateur Traveler

Old April 18th, 2007, 05:40 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Toller

"chris2x" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Apr 18, 6:59 am, "Toller" wrote:
[...]

North rim is closer?! I got the sense that it was difficult to get to.
How do you get to the North rim from Vegas?
Thanks again.

Old April 18th, 2007, 06:10 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
sally[_1_]

"Toller" wrote in
:
I am going to Las Vegas in July with my son. We have 1.5 days free at
the end and I was planning on going to the Grand Canyon; but I didn't
realize how far it was.
Zion is much closer. Is Zion sufficiently spectacular that I won't feel
bad about skipping the Grand Canyon?

If you are not in great physical condition, then I recommend Zion (or Bryce)
instead of the Grand Canyon. The Grand Canyon is best viewed from the bottom
of the canyon, but hiking back up is very difficult. Zion and Bryce have a
wide variety of hikes so anyone to easily see the geology up close and
personal. The Narrows canyon in Zion is especially beautiful.
Old April 18th, 2007, 06:24 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
-hh

On Apr 18, 1:10 pm, sally wrote:

If you are not in great physical condition, then I recommend Zion (or Bryce)
instead of the Grand Canyon. The Grand Canyon is best viewed from the bottom
of the canyon, but hiking back up is very difficult. Zion and Bryce have a
wide variety of hikes so anyone to easily see the geology up close and
personal. The Narrows canyon in Zion is especially beautiful.

This was essentially my thoughts as well: in simplistic and
mainstream terms, a visit to Grand is to be at the top and look down,
whereas Zion is to be at the bottom and look up - - quite a different
experience.

-hh

Old April 18th, 2007, 07:41 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Craig

"Toller" wrote...

North rim is closer?! I got the sense that it was difficult to get to.
How do you get to the North rim from Vegas?
Thanks again.

From Zion, it's a piece of cake (although your 1.5-day time frame is bad
for any Vegas/Zion/GCanyon/Vegas travel loop):

Exit Zion NP to the east, drop down to Kanab, UT and drive to Jacob Lake,
AZ, then down to the North Rim which should open May 15 with full services.
To return to Vegas, drive south of Zion through the Fundamentalist LDS
communities and to St George, etc.

Most Vegas visitors do the South Rim of GC, but for a Vegas visitor going
to Zion, the nicer (in my opinion) North Rim is the way to go for sure. Pipe
Springs NM can be added to the loop for those with the time.

http://www.nps.gov/pisp The last time I was there, the ranger-led tour was
well done.

Craig

Old April 18th, 2007, 09:02 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Caveat

"Toller" wrote:

I am going to Las Vegas in July with my son. We have 1.5 days free at the
end and I was planning on going to the Grand Canyon; but I didn't realize
how far it was.

You are apparently talking about the South Rim of Grand Canyon
National Park. As Chris has pointed out, the North Rim is an
alternative -- much less congested (getting to, and once there) and at
8,000 feet is quite pleasant in July . But lodging is limited there.

Zion is much closer. Is Zion sufficiently spectacular that I won't feel bad
about skipping the Grand Canyon?

Zion is spectacular, but quite different from the Grand Canyon. From
Springdale at Zion you start at the bottom of a much smaller canyon
with a flowing stream (which you can visit much of via the free
shuttle buses in a limited time). The Angel's Landing hike is highly
recommended.

At the Grand Canyon you will be on a rim far above the Colorado River
in a vastly larger canyon with only limited opportunities to explore
in your time availability. There are some shorter hikes along the rim
which I can recommend if you wish, or you might want to hike down the
North Kaibab Trail a bit (don't go too far!).

I saw the Grand Canyon 40 years ago, and hopefully he will be back some day;
but still....

A lifetime isn't enough time to thoroughly explore the Grand Canyon
(both inside and outside the National Park), although I have been
trying more than a half century.

On a similar subject; we have a half day free at the beginning. I was
planning on going out to Red Rocks. Any alternatives that can be done in
half a day?

Red Rocks is impressive, but unless you are a rock climber the options
are limited. Also, in July it will be quite hot at all lower
elevations throughout the Southwest. If you want a cooler option, you
could drive up into the Spring Valley National Recreation Area just NW
of Las Vegas. A lot depends on your interests on these trips.

http://www.worldfromtheweb.com/Parks...e/Toiyabe.html

Caveat

Old April 19th, 2007, 02:53 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Bill in Schenectady

"Toller" wrote in message
I am going to Las Vegas in July with my son. We have 1.5 days free at the
end and I was planning on going to the Grand Canyon; but I didn't realize
how far it was.
Zion is much closer. Is Zion sufficiently spectacular that I won't feel
bad about skipping the Grand Canyon?
I saw the Grand Canyon 40 years ago, and hopefully he will be back some
day; but still....

Thanks.

On a similar subject; we have a half day free at the beginning. I was
planning on going out to Red Rocks. Any alternatives that can be done in
half a day?

Zion is one of the most gloriously spectacular places I have ever seen.
Also, while the Grand Canyon is indeed spectacular, you go there, you look
and you leave. At Zion, there are numerous short hiking opportunities,
there is a free shuttle bus that takes you through the canyon (in fact cars
are banned from the canyon road), and there is the wonderful Virgin River
walk at the far end. That's where you walk first along and then in the
river while the canyon narrows and presents vertical walls hundreds of feet
high on either side of the narrow canyon.

Go to Zion!

Old April 19th, 2007, 04:08 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Toller

"Bill in Schenectady" wrote in message

"Toller" wrote in message
[...]

Very convincing.
How does it compare to Letchworth? (saw where you are from...)

Old April 19th, 2007, 05:36 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Caveat

"Toller" wrote:

How does it compare to Letchworth? (saw where you are from...)

Excuse my intrusion, but having been to both parks (used to live in
Rochester) I can assure you that there's no comparison. Letchworth is
small and leafy, whereas Zion is very large and desert-foliaged. Plus
Zion (as with most canyons in the SW) is carved out of colorful
sandstone. Very different.

Caveat