Pre Great Fire buildings in London???

Old March 31st, 2004, 03:26 AM
Richard

Default Pre Great Fire buildings in London???

I am looking to visit the best places in London to see some pre 1666
streets and buildings? Anyone have any suggestions? Your help is
always appreciated.

Richard
Old March 31st, 2004, 08:31 AM
The Reid

Following up to Richard

I am looking to visit the best places in London to see some pre 1666
streets and buildings? Anyone have any suggestions? Your help is
always appreciated.

i'll start with the White Tower of the Tower of London. There is
a database of buildings visibly dated nnnn. I'll try and find it.
--
Mike Reid
"Art is the lie that reveals the truth" P.Picasso
Old March 31st, 2004, 09:02 AM
Mike O'sullivan

The Lamb and Flag, 33 Rose Street. Leicester Square tube. One of the few
wooden structures to survive the Great Fire of 1666. It was once known as
the 'Bucket of Blood' because of all the fights that broke out in it. It was
also one of Charles Dickens' favorite spots on his pub crawls."

Also, look he

http://www.angliacampus.com/educatio...y/greatfir.htm
http://www.dickens-and-london.com/WGFlsht.htm

Following up to Richard

Old March 31st, 2004, 09:22 AM
The Reid

Following up to Mike O'sullivan

It was once known as
the 'Bucket of Blood' because of all the fights that broke out in it.

my understanding is that they actually had organised bare knuckle
fights. Haven't seen one recently :-)
Old March 31st, 2004, 09:58 AM
Mike O'sullivan

Also look here for St Olave's Church

http://www.londontaxitour.com/london...art-street.htm

Old March 31st, 2004, 01:31 PM
meurgues

Richard wrote in message . ..
I am looking to visit the best places in London to see some pre 1666
streets and buildings? Anyone have any suggestions? Your help is
always appreciated.

Richard

Except monuments, of course (St James, Westimster, Southwark cathedral
(and palace remains), Tower, archbishop palace, several churches,
etc...) I've seen 2 houses : 1 in Fleet street, I THINK..., with a
round coach door (? porte cochère in french) and 1 just west of Old
Bailey both on the South side of the streets (the one with yellow?
coatings. Don't know for the timber house nearby one).
Can't remember very well...

didier Meurgues
Old March 31st, 2004, 02:26 PM

In article ,
(Richard) wrote:

I am looking to visit the best places in London to see some pre 1666
streets and buildings? Anyone have any suggestions?

Although the Fire destroyed most of the building stock of the City of
London some brick and stone buildings did survive.

Among the churches the following all have substantial pre-1666 elements,
although like most English churches many of them have undergone some
additions and remodelling over the years, particularly at the hands of the
Victorians and after the Blitz: Temple Church (C12-13), St. Helen
Bishopsgate, St. Ethelburgha, St. Olave Hart Street, St. Sepulchre, St.
Peter ad Vincula in the Tower, St. Andrew Undershaft, St. Giles
Cripplegate, St. Katharine Cree. Probably others too.

Most of the guild halls were destroyed but these are pre-1666, again with
later modifications/additions: Guildhall, parts of Merchant Taylors' Hall,
Barnard's Inn, Lincoln's Inn Old Hall.

There are a couple of houses, not long predating 1666, at Nos. 41-42 Cloth
Fair. But most houses would have been of timber-frame construction and
therefore burned.

Outside the City, of course, the Fire was not a factor but there is still
not the wealth of medieval building you find in some other English cities.
In the west of central London are Westminster Abbey and the adjacent
church of St. Margaret's, Westminster Hall also nearby, Inigo Jones's
Banqueting House on Whitehall, parts of St. James's Palace and the Queen's
Chapel that was originally part of it, some fragments of houses on Soho
Square (Nos. 10 and 15). I have a feeling there's something else in Soho
but can't remember what it is.

Little of interest south of the river, Southwark Cathedral and the Queen's
House in Greenwich being the major sites.

There are also odd bits and pieces in the suburbs but, of course, they
weren't "London" in 1666!
Old March 31st, 2004, 07:53 PM
nightjar

wrote in message
Incidentally, I forgot to mention in my other post in this thread that
there was also a big fire south of the river shortly (ie a few years)
after the Great Fire.

Fires were a regular feature of the time, which is partly why nobody took
too much notice at the start of the Great Fire. The buildings at the North
end of London Bridge had been destroyed by an earlier fire and the fire
break that created probably stopped the Great Fire from crossing the river.

Colin Bignell

Old April 3rd, 2004, 02:44 PM
congokid

In message , The Reid
writes
Following up to Mike O'sullivan

It was once known as
the 'Bucket of Blood' because of all the fights that broke out in it.

my understanding is that they actually had organised bare knuckle
fights. Haven't seen one recently :-)

Only on Footballers' Wives.

--
congokid
Good restaurants in London? Number one on Google