Rome airport Q

Old February 2nd, 2009, 05:50 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
erilar

Default Rome airport Q

I'm going to be changing planes at Fiumicino airport in Rome twice in
April. Unlike other places (such as FRA) with airport maps on the web,
all I can find is a solid pink blob for this one. I know I'll have, if
my Alitalia plane from O'Hare lands on time, three hours to get from the
far end of one terminal to the furthest one from it for the next flight.
I know when I had to go out to the main shop area for something I needed
last time I did that at FRA, I had to go through the security hassle
again to get to my next flight afterwards. All I need to get in Rome
are some Euros. Is there an ATM somewhere on my path from Terminal C to
Terminal A that won't create a similar hassle? I'm going to be met at
the final destination and may not have a chance to find an ATM then.

--
Mary Loomer Oliver (aka Erilar)

You can't reason with someone whose first line of argument is
that reason doesn't count. --Isaac Asimov

Erilar's Cave Annex: http://www.chibardun.net/~erilarlo*

Old February 2nd, 2009, 07:41 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
JohnT[_4_]

"erilar" wrote in message
I'm going to be changing planes at Fiumicino airport in Rome twice in
April. Unlike other places (such as FRA) with airport maps on the web,
all I can find is a solid pink blob for this one. I know I'll have, if
my Alitalia plane from O'Hare lands on time, three hours to get from the
far end of one terminal to the furthest one from it for the next flight.
I know when I had to go out to the main shop area for something I needed
last time I did that at FRA, I had to go through the security hassle
again to get to my next flight afterwards. All I need to get in Rome
are some Euros. Is there an ATM somewhere on my path from Terminal C to
Terminal A that won't create a similar hassle? I'm going to be met at
the final destination and may not have a chance to find an ATM then.

I think that there are ATMs in the baggage claim areas. There is a detailed
map of each terminal available if you link through
http://www.adr.it/portal/portal/adr/...a_Terminal_FCO
--
JohnT

Old February 2nd, 2009, 07:52 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Steve Cain

Try this map. You can drag it from terminal to terminal and find your
ATM's:

http://rome-airports-shopping-galler...php?method=map

Old February 2nd, 2009, 07:53 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Ken Blake

On Mon, 02 Feb 2009 10:50:44 -0600, erilar
wrote:

I'm going to be changing planes at Fiumicino airport in Rome twice in
April. Unlike other places (such as FRA) with airport maps on the web,
all I can find is a solid pink blob for this one. I know I'll have, if
my Alitalia plane from O'Hare lands on time, three hours to get from the
far end of one terminal to the furthest one from it for the next flight.
I know when I had to go out to the main shop area for something I needed
last time I did that at FRA, I had to go through the security hassle
again to get to my next flight afterwards. All I need to get in Rome
are some Euros. Is there an ATM somewhere on my path from Terminal C to
Terminal A that won't create a similar hassle? I'm going to be met at
the final destination and may not have a chance to find an ATM then.

I can't remember which is terminal A and which is terminal C, but I
assume that one is for international flights and the other for those
within Italy. I haven't been to the National terminal in many years,
but I land and leave from the International one often, and I can tell
you that there is at least one ATM ("Bancomat," as they call it in
Italy) in that terminal. There are also a couple of "Cambio" places
where you can have a clerk change cash from what you have to Euros.

--
Ken Blake
Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Old February 2nd, 2009, 08:29 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
erilar

In article ,
Ken Blake wrote:

I can't remember which is terminal A and which is terminal C, but I
assume that one is for international flights and the other for those
within Italy. I haven't been to the National terminal in many years,
but I land and leave from the International one often, and I can tell
you that there is at least one ATM ("Bancomat," as they call it in
Italy) in that terminal. There are also a couple of "Cambio" places
where you can have a clerk change cash from what you have to Euros.

Well, I'm coming in international in mid-April and leaving for Sicily,
then at the end of the month reversing the process on a tighter schedule.
I'd rather not change cash; I prefer to use a debit Visa card I use
primarily for travel(it's not my regular checking account), which is
why I was wondering about an ATM. "Bancomat"; I'll have to make a note.
Italian is not one of my languages 8-) Thanks!

Old February 2nd, 2009, 08:33 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
erilar

In article ,
"Steve Cain" wrote:

Try this map. You can drag it from terminal to terminal and find your
ATM's:

http://rome-airports-shopping-galler...php?method=map

AHA! That's the kind of website I was looking for and couldn't find!!
I'm going to grab it and put it into my notebook!

Old February 2nd, 2009, 08:37 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
erilar

In article ,
"JohnT" wrote:

I think that there are ATMs in the baggage claim areas.

If it doesn't fit in my carry-on, I must not need it. I don't
check baggage for airlines to lose, particularly if I have to change
planes.
There is a detailed
map of each terminal available if you link through
http://www.adr.it/portal/portal/adr/...a_Terminal_FCO

The more maps the merrier, even if I can't find a way to translate this
one 8-)

Old February 2nd, 2009, 10:20 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
JohnT[_4_]

"erilar" wrote in message
In article ,
"JohnT" wrote:

I think that there are ATMs in the baggage claim areas.

If it doesn't fit in my carry-on, I must not need it. I don't
check baggage for airlines to lose, particularly if I have to change
planes.
There is a detailed
map of each terminal available if you link through
http://www.adr.it/portal/portal/adr/...a_Terminal_FCO

The more maps the merrier, even if I can't find a way to translate this
one 8-)

Just click on "English Version" at top left.
--
JohnT

Old February 3rd, 2009, 12:32 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
poldy

In article ,
Ken Blake wrote:

I can't remember which is terminal A and which is terminal C, but I
assume that one is for international flights and the other for those
within Italy. I haven't been to the National terminal in many years,
but I land and leave from the International one often, and I can tell
you that there is at least one ATM ("Bancomat," as they call it in
Italy) in that terminal. There are also a couple of "Cambio" places
where you can have a clerk change cash from what you have to Euros.

I don't understand how people still use the Cambio and Thomas Cook
counters.

Last week at VIE, I looked around for a Bancomat and the only one I
spotted was right next to an exchange counter. I'd seen some Thomas
Cook ATMs before and assumed those dispense money after the commission,
just like their counters.

So I was wary about using this one and only took out 20 Euros, enough to
pay for a bus to Westbahnhof, from which I planned to take a train to
Salzburg.

Turned out that the exchange rate from that ATM at VIE and later that
night in Salzburg were identical to the closing exchange rate published
for that date on x-rates.com.

Some airports do have only exchange counters within the baggage claim
area and you have to exit out to the main hall to find the ATMs.

CDG has a huge new shopping area in the brand new section of 2E, for
gates E20-E40 or so. There were no shops immediately outside the
security zone for this part of 2E.

But for all those shops and self-serve food places, I couldn't recall
seeing a single ATM.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 02:26 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Ken Blake

On Mon, 02 Feb 2009 13:29:28 -0600, erilar
wrote:

In article ,
Ken Blake wrote:

[...]

You're welcome. Glad to help. I prefer the bancomat too, but was just
suggesting an alternative if it should become necessary.