Ryanair to abolish check-in desks

Old February 26th, 2009, 01:48 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.railway,uk.politics.misc,alt.travel.uk.air
Roland Perry[_1_]

Default Ryanair to abolish check-in desks

In message , at 12:42:52 on Thu, 26
Feb 2009, tim..... remarked:
(and I don't routinely know what type of plane I am on. I barely notice if
it has two big turbines at the back or propellers on the wings or if it was
made by Boeing or Airbus, I certainly don't know if it's a 600 or an 800 -
if indeed both/either of those exist)

I'd suggest you don't make assertive statements about 737-800 luggage
bins, in that case.

In message , at 12:01:21 on Thu, 26
Feb 2009, tim..... remarked:
There is just enough room in the overhead lockers of a Boeing 737-800
to take one piece of hand baggage of the given size for each
passenger if the plane is full leaving a little extra for coats and
things.

Not in the ones that I have been on.

--
Roland Perry
Old February 26th, 2009, 01:52 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.railway,uk.politics.misc,alt.travel.uk.air
Roland Perry[_1_]

In message , at 12:42:20 on Thu, 26
Feb 2009, pete remarked:
the flights aren't any emptier than during the summer.

Yes, because they adjust their schedules and fares. Their website has

So the mad rush to board is not so much to get a plum seat as to be
able to stash your bag somewhere close to where you'll be sitting.

There are vanishingly few "plum seats" on modern airbus/737/777-style
aircraft (it's largely a feature of last-century wide bodied aircraft,
and more importantly you'll be stuck for hours in a poor seat), so
finding a place for luggage is indeed a good reason to be on board
early.
--
Roland Perry
Old February 26th, 2009, 03:55 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.railway,uk.politics.misc
chunkyoldcortina

MC wrote:
"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 12:26:34 on Sun, 22 Feb
2009, tim..... remarked:

That was a problem when we had toddlers and used to carry milk (for
feeding). Of course, that has other "issues" now as well. The only time
someone tried to bounce my hand baggage as overweight was Emirates (7kg I
think). It was a while ago, but I probably transferred a book to my
checked luggage.
--

Qantas weighed my wifes carry bag once and found it was a couple of kilo
over so rather than make us put the stuff in our cases they "gave" us one of

That is a real problem in the event of severe turbulence, and I would imagine
that loose/flying objects are the main cause of injuries in such situations.
Closely followed I expect from injuries to people who were not wearing
seatbelts (so they become the loose/flying object).

I've heard of occasions when people's heads are forced into the bottom of the
overhead bins with them ending up as paraplegics. Nasty.

Most airline & aviation "rules" are there for safety first and foremost.
Old February 26th, 2009, 04:37 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.railway,uk.politics.misc
Roland Perry[_1_]

In message , at 14:55:53 on Thu, 26 Feb
2009, chunkyoldcortina remarked:
They sited saftey issues of one bag weighing more than 6 kilo should
it fall from the overheads.

That is a real problem in the event of severe turbulence, and I would
imagine that loose/flying objects are the main cause of injuries in
such situations. Closely followed I expect from injuries to people who
were not wearing seatbelts (so they become the loose/flying object).

I've heard of occasions when people's heads are forced into the bottom
of the overhead bins with them ending up as paraplegics. Nasty.

Most airline & aviation "rules" are there for safety first and
foremost.

And the bins have allowable weights marked on them, much greater than
6kg per passenger. As for seat belts, airlines are very conservative and
insist they are worn even in very slight turbulence, or when turbulence
is predicted (but doesn't happen).
--
Roland Perry
Old February 26th, 2009, 05:22 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.railway,uk.politics.misc,alt.travel.uk.air
Lennart Petersen

"Roland Perry" skrev i meddelandet
In message , at 03:40:51 on Thu, 26
Feb 2009, Lennart Petersen remarked:
I suspect that people with a "non EU/EAA/Swiss" passport will be asked
to use the bag drop "not a check-in desk honest guv".

And what if they have no luggage? While it may be unusual, it is not at
all impossible on a morning flight to Europe as the person could be
returning that afternoon.

And furthermore it's not unusual nowadays with carry-on luggage only.

Please explain why you think you can evade airline visa checks simply by
carrying hand baggage only.

I didn't say that.

Old February 26th, 2009, 05:57 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.railway,uk.politics.misc,alt.travel.uk.air
Iain Bowen

On 26 Feb, 16:39, Air wrote:

All this makes the agreement between Costa Cruises & Ryanair even more
mystifying to me. Anyone going on a 7 + day cruise with family in tow,
needs more than 15kg. A rucksack is of no use.

http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cr...9-costa-a-ryan...

Which means more money for Ryanair, for heavy luggage, having the
temerity to check in and use their check-in desk. Ka-ching.

As for the non-EU passport thing. I've checked in online for LH a few
times, all I am asked is do I have an EU passport and I can print a
boarding pass.

By suitable waving of documents, I can get as far as the gate to the
flight to Bankfurt where it will be checked "without scanning" at BHX
by Aviance's finest. I must admit, they haven't shown the levels of
training for document and identification - some of them are still
talking "Walking and Chewing Gum 101". No reason why it won't be
different for FR as LH as FR are more likely to go for even cheaper
handling agents.

Iain

Old February 26th, 2009, 06:06 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.railway,uk.politics.misc,alt.travel.uk.air
Roland Perry[_1_]

In message , at 16:39:57 on
Thu, 26 Feb 2009, Air remarked:
All this makes the agreement between Costa Cruises & Ryanair even more
mystifying to me. Anyone going on a 7 + day cruise with family in tow,
needs more than 15kg. A rucksack is of no use.

The rucksack is the 10Kg of hand baggage, you can have 15kg in the hold
for a modest (compared to a week's cruise) fee. Is 25Kg really not
enough each?
--
Roland Perry
Old February 26th, 2009, 06:14 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.railway,uk.politics.misc,alt.travel.uk.air
Roland Perry[_1_]

In message
, at
08:57:34 on Thu, 26 Feb 2009, Iain Bowen
remarked:
By suitable waving of documents, I can get as far as the gate to the
flight to Bankfurt where it will be checked "without scanning" at BHX
by Aviance's finest. I must admit, they haven't shown the levels of
training for document and identification - some of them are still
talking "Walking and Chewing Gum 101". No reason why it won't be
different for FR as LH as FR are more likely to go for even cheaper
handling agents.

You have completely missed the point. The gum-chewing agents you refer
to will be making virtually no checks on EU passports, because they
don't need to.

And they'll making just one check on a non-EU passport holding online
checker-in: "Go away, this maybe isn't valid, but I have no way of
telling".

Which is why I expect that such pax will still need to check in (albeit
at a desk renamed a "bag drop"), so they can be issued with a "real"
boarding pass, and the gummers can then assume the passport was checked
for validity when the boarding pass was issued.
--
Roland Perry
Old February 26th, 2009, 06:14 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.railway,uk.politics.misc,alt.travel.uk.air
Roland Perry[_1_]

In message , at 16:22:39 on Thu, 26
Feb 2009, Lennart Petersen remarked:
I suspect that people with a "non EU/EAA/Swiss" passport will be asked
to use the bag drop "not a check-in desk honest guv".

And what if they have no luggage? While it may be unusual, it is not at
all impossible on a morning flight to Europe as the person could be
returning that afternoon.

And furthermore it's not unusual nowadays with carry-on luggage only.

Please explain why you think you can evade airline visa checks simply by
carrying hand baggage only.

I didn't say that.

So what are you trying to say?
--
Roland Perry
Old February 26th, 2009, 06:14 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.railway,uk.politics.misc,alt.travel.uk.air
tim.....

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 12:42:52 on Thu, 26 Feb
2009, tim..... remarked:
(and I don't routinely know what type of plane I am on. I barely notice
if
it has two big turbines at the back or propellers on the wings or if it
was
made by Boeing or Airbus, I certainly don't know if it's a 600 or an 800 -
if indeed both/either of those exist)

I'd suggest you don't make assertive statements about 737-800 luggage
bins, in that case.

I was making the comment generally abut flying with FR

FR haven't scrapped their old planes they are still using them

tim