Ryanair to abolish check-in desks

Old February 26th, 2009, 05:17 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.railway,uk.politics.misc,alt.travel.uk.air
Neil Williams

Default Ryanair to abolish check-in desks

On 26 Feb, 16:39, Air wrote:

All this makes the agreement between Costa Cruises & Ryanair even more
mystifying to me.

Not in the context that O'Leary will do anything that will make him
money, regardless of whether it makes sense to the passenger or not.
Costa Cruises are probably paying heavily to put their website link on
Ryanair's. On its own that demystifies things, IMO.

Neil
Old February 26th, 2009, 05:30 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.railway,uk.politics.misc,alt.travel.uk.air
Roland Perry[_1_]

In message , at 17:14:42 on Thu, 26
Feb 2009, tim..... remarked:
I'd suggest you don't make assertive statements about 737-800 luggage
bins, in that case.

I was making the comment generally abut flying with FR

Normally I'd say "then be more specific", but it seems to be moot...

FR haven't scrapped their old planes they are still using them

I think you need to revisit the "past fleet" section he

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryanair#Fleet

Which includes the claim that *all* their current aircraft are in fact
737-800's. Backed up by:

http://www.planespotters.net/Airline/Ryanair
--
Roland Perry
Old February 26th, 2009, 06:04 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.railway,uk.politics.misc,alt.travel.uk.air
Lennart Petersen

"Roland Perry" skrev i meddelandet
In message , at 16:22:39 on Thu, 26
Feb 2009, Lennart Petersen remarked:
I suspect that people with a "non EU/EAA/Swiss" passport will be
asked
to use the bag drop "not a check-in desk honest guv".

And what if they have no luggage? While it may be unusual, it is not
at
all impossible on a morning flight to Europe as the person could be
returning that afternoon.

And furthermore it's not unusual nowadays with carry-on luggage only.

Please explain why you think you can evade airline visa checks simply by
carrying hand baggage only.

I didn't say that.

So what are you trying to say?
--
Roland Perry

I said exactly :

"And furthermore it's not unusual nowadays with carry-on luggage only.
Ryanair allowance is 8kg handluggage and the airline expect that in a near
future only one out of five have checked luggage. "

Apparently 8kg was 10kg.

Old February 26th, 2009, 06:13 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.railway,uk.politics.misc,alt.travel.uk.air
Roland Perry[_1_]

In message , at 18:04:22 on Thu, 26
I said exactly :

"And furthermore it's not unusual nowadays with carry-on luggage only.
Ryanair allowance is 8kg handluggage and the airline expect that in a near
future only one out of five have checked luggage. "

I said people would be asked to use a bag-drop if they had a non-EU
passport. Your comment seemed to suggest that because hand-baggage only
is very common now, this would prevent Ryanair from making people (with
hand baggage only) check in at the bag-drop.

I have separately provided the reasons why they will still make
hand-baggage only passengers check in at the bag drop. Those arguments
are valid irrespective of whether it's 1:5 or 4:5, and also irrespective
of 8kg vs 10kg.
--
Roland Perry
Old February 26th, 2009, 06:21 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.railway,uk.politics.misc,alt.travel.uk.air
Arthur Figgis[_2_]

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 11:41:36 on Thu, 26
Feb 2009, tim..... remarked:
I personally can't see that forever increasing the price is going to
stop Mr
and Mrs normal taking a bag each on holiday, all it does is move them to
another airline.

From my observations, the average age of pax on the Ryanair flights is
about 25, and almost all carrying a rucksack.

My guess is many are visiting friends, or having a stag/hen/
groups_of_chums party, rather than a classic family holiday.

I think your (air)mileage may vary quite dramatically when it comes to
types of passengers. I'd be genuinely interested to know where people on
Ryanair and other cheapo flights are actually going, and why. Wizz
shuttles barmaids and cleaners back home, but what else?

Flying to Bremen was vastly cheaper than Luebeck where I wanted to catch
a train ferry service - but who wants to go to Bremen (the plane was
only half full)? En route to Maribor in Slovenia it became clear some
pax were confused about the country, never mind the city, they were
heading for.

When I did Sardina - Luton on the orange airline, it seemed the SLF just
wanted to get from A to B on civilised holidays or visiting family, and
so the "hey, look, we are chavs, innit great?" passenger experience was
completely inappropriate to them (rather like when WAGN were handing out
balloons and colouring books on a morning peak train into Liverpool
Street because it was the summer holidays).

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Old February 26th, 2009, 06:39 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.railway,uk.politics.misc,alt.travel.uk.air
Robert[_8_]

On 2009-02-26 12:42:52 +0000, "tim....." said:

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 12:12:30 on Thu, 26 Feb
2009, tim..... remarked:
you obviously go to different places to me

And on different planes, it seems...

I haven't flown FR for about 3 years (since they stopped the two a day
flights to MMX) and they did have different planes then.

But I doubt that the passenger mix has changed BICBW.

(and I don't routinely know what type of plane I am on. I barely notice if
it has two big turbines at the back or propellers on the wings or if it was
made by Boeing or Airbus, I certainly don't know if it's a 600 or an 800 -
if indeed both/either of those exist)

tim

The plane model is printed on the safety card, which Ryanair these days
sticks to the back of the headrest of the seat in front of you. You
can't miss it. :-)
--
Robert

Old February 26th, 2009, 07:26 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.railway,uk.politics.misc,alt.travel.uk.air
pete

On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 17:36:20 GMT, Air wrote:
The message
from Roland Perry contains these words:

In message , at 16:39:57 on
Thu, 26 Feb 2009, Air remarked:
All this makes the agreement between Costa Cruises & Ryanair even more
mystifying to me. Anyone going on a 7 + day cruise with family in tow,
needs more than 15kg. A rucksack is of no use.

The rucksack is the 10Kg of hand baggage, you can have 15kg in the hold
for a modest (compared to a week's cruise) fee. Is 25Kg really not
enough each?

Not for a cruise no. My cameras, laptop etc take up the hand luggage
limit. On a cruise one needs formal clothing too,

I think cruises have moved on a bit since that view was formed. Some friends
went on one (with their kids) a couple of years ago and reckoned they were
the only ones on the whole ship without tattoos and piercings. If that is
the what these cruises are like, all you'd need clothes-wise is a change
of shorts and a couple of t-shirts.
Old February 26th, 2009, 07:41 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.railway,uk.politics.misc,alt.travel.uk.air
tim.....

On 2009-02-26 12:42:52 +0000, "tim....." said:

[...]

But I can avoid reading it

tim

Old February 26th, 2009, 08:36 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.railway,uk.politics.misc,alt.travel.uk.air
Neil Williams[_2_]

On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 12:01:21 -0000, "tim....."
wrote:

Not in the ones that I have been on. IME you can only fit one regulation
sized carry on in each locker as they are not the right shape to take two
(even though the volume is big enough). So that's one person in three gets
to carry on (ignoring the fact that the first two rows lockers are full of
the crew's stuff.

Though there's also under the seat for soft bags. "Overhead locker
charge", anyone? (Yeah, I know, don't give them ideas).

Neil

--
Neil Williams
Old February 26th, 2009, 08:38 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.railway,uk.politics.misc,alt.travel.uk.air
Neil Williams[_2_]

On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 11:41:36 -0000, "tim....."
wrote:

I personally can't see that forever increasing the price is going to stop Mr
and Mrs normal taking a bag each on holiday, all it does is move them to
another airline.

And as the Mr Businessman, who might be able to travel HL only, probably
uses FR as last resort I can't see this policy helping Molly grow his
airline.

I fail to understand why (unless travelling with very small children)
anyone can't do a weekend away in a hotel hand-luggage only. I pretty
much always do.

Neil

--
Neil Williams