Ryanair to abolish check-in desks

Old February 23rd, 2009, 01:18 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.railway,uk.politics.misc,alt.travel.uk.air
David Hansen

Default Ryanair to abolish check-in desks

On Sun, 22 Feb 2009 10:22:52 -0800 (PST) someone who may be Paul
Weaver wrote this:-

Doubt it, weapon checks tend to be stable-door related. After-all,
glass shards from a duty free bottle can be pretty effective weapons.

The underwires in bras can be used in much the same way as needles,
yet only needles are stolen by jobsworths.

Still annoyed that Eurostar metal-detect you, one of the reasons I
limit my flying. There's no reason for it,

I disagree. There is no useful reason for it. After all someone
could stand at the lineside with a sub machine gun, bomb, rocket
propelled grenade launcher or whatever and attack the train.
However, there is a pointless reason for it, party politicians and
officials can say that they have "done something". This helps them
reassure the stupid. They consider that a very important reason, I
consider it shows that they are idiots.

they certainly don't metal-detect people using le Shuttle.

They are motorists. Party politicians and officials don't like doing
pointless things to motorists.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Old February 23rd, 2009, 02:10 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.railway,uk.politics.misc,alt.travel.uk.air
Roland Perry[_1_]

In message , at 12:28:46 on Mon,
23 Feb 2009, Neil Williams remarked:
On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 09:56:04 +0000, Roland Perry
wrote:

eg: At LAX, the bag-drop is a pile on the floor, that a TSA chap then
feeds into a big x-ray machine. At Gatwick, the BA "large/fragile"
bag-drop was just a conveyer belt (when I last used it, after checking
in at a conventional desk).

The large bags thing is literally a drop-off, but the bags must
already be tagged.

That's right - first you check in then (for some/all bags, depending on
local issues) you go to bag drop.

At BHX T2 you had to wait while it was scanned and
answer silly questions about items in it, IMX.

I failed to check in using a kiosk at BHX T2, and was then put through
the wringer at the desk. I got the feeling they thought it was my fault
I'd failed to check in "properly".

I don't think the "everything" includes printing the baggage tag, nor do
I think it is it very likely to include checking the visa status of
Outer Mongolian passport holders...

Might it actually be better for FR if they restrict their services to
EU passport holders only? Would they be able to do that?

I'm not aware of any airline which overtly discriminates in that way.
Would it also extend to people with UN passports (they are a bright blue
colour...)? [I'm at the UN today, which is what made me think of it].
--
Roland Perry
Old February 23rd, 2009, 02:33 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.railway,uk.politics.misc
Roland Perry[_1_]

In message , at 11:57:05 on
Mon, 23 Feb 2009, Stevie Plunder
remarked:
It's possible for someone to check-in accidentally and this will not be
noticed until the gate in the case of an invalid passport but may not
go noticed at all in the case of an invalid/no visa.

You seem to be assuming that if you arrive at the gate with a "strange"
passport, that they'll let on board. I would expect you to need some
sort of coupon from the check-in.
--
Roland Perry
Old February 24th, 2009, 11:48 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.railway,uk.politics.misc,alt.travel.uk.air
Mike[_7_]

On Sun, 22 Feb 2009 09:19:56 +0000, Roland Perry
wrote:

The "full service" airline may also give free upgrades to selected
passengers into Business and even First, to free up more seats in the
back of the plane - rather than flying with empty seats up front and
economy passengers refused travel. Some will try to sell the upgrades
(using a mixture of points and money) at the gate, before doing free
upgrades.

Whereas the '21st century' UK train operators would rather leave 1st
class empty and see 2nd class packed tighter than a typical veal
crate.

The sooner 1st class was abolished and there is a universal obligation
to provide seating for all passengers the better.

Old February 24th, 2009, 12:03 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.railway,uk.politics.misc,alt.travel.uk.air
Tim Fenton

"Mike" wrote in message

Whereas the '21st century' UK train operators would rather leave 1st
class empty and see 2nd class packed tighter than a typical veal
crate.

That would explain the declassification of FC coaches at busy times where
there is not much FC demand. It's done regularly by VT, and I suspect they
are not acting alone.

The sooner 1st class was abolished and there is a universal obligation
to provide seating for all passengers the better.

How does that work? Reservation only, like Spain? Most services there are
fixed formation - so no extra coaches (unless you double up Talgo sets) and
when it sells out, that's it.

Or do you favour carting round enough coaches to cater for every
eventuality? Whose pocket is all that coming out of?

--
Tim
http://tim-fenton.fotopic.net/

Old February 24th, 2009, 02:15 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.railway,uk.politics.misc,alt.travel.uk.air
Ian F.

"Mike" wrote in message

The sooner 1st class was abolished and there is a universal obligation
to provide seating for all passengers the better.

You forgot to say 'in my opinion', comrade! ;-)

Ian

Old February 24th, 2009, 04:41 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.railway,uk.politics.misc,alt.travel.uk.air
[email protected]

On Feb 24, 11:48*am, Mike wrote:

Whereas the '21st century' UK *train operators would rather leave 1st
class empty and see 2nd class packed tighter than a typical veal
crate.

Not always. The guard on the 1843 EUS-BHI last night found the
emergency exits in A were unusable, so moved us all into G (1st).
There were probably enough seats in B through F.

ian

Old February 24th, 2009, 08:57 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.railway,uk.politics.misc,alt.travel.uk.air
The Real Doctor

On 24 Feb, 11:48, Mike wrote:

The sooner 1st class was abolished and there is a universal obligation
to provide seating for all passengers the better.

What you're saying, then, is that standing passengers shouldn't be
allowed. Would that apply to all journeys?

Ian

Old February 24th, 2009, 09:05 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.railway,uk.politics.misc,alt.travel.uk.air
Neil Williams[_2_]

On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 12:57:10 -0800 (PST), The Real Doctor
wrote:

What you're saying, then, is that standing passengers shouldn't be
allowed. Would that apply to all journeys?

And how does the OP propose to apply that to commuter services? (LM
sometimes excepted).

Neil

--
Neil Williams
Old February 24th, 2009, 09:26 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.railway,uk.politics.misc,alt.travel.uk.air
Jeff Hacker

wrote:

The "full service" airline may also give free upgrades to selected
passengers into Business and even First, to free up more seats in the
back of the plane - rather than flying with empty seats up front and
economy passengers refused travel. Some will try to sell the upgrades
(using a mixture of points and money) at the gate, before doing free
upgrades.

Whereas the '21st century' UK train operators would rather leave 1st
class empty and see 2nd class packed tighter than a typical veal
crate.

The sooner 1st class was abolished and there is a universal obligation
to provide seating for all passengers the better.

--

Oh, come now. This is the same as with the airlines. You can vote with
your feet - and most people have. Most people will abandon one airline for