traveling with my car to Europe

Old February 20th, 2009, 05:37 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

Default traveling with my car to Europe

Hello,

My husband and I would like to retrace a family legend vacation. We
would like to travel across the US by car from San Francisco to New
York and then to Europe with our car. Does anybody know if it is
possible to find a way to travel by a ship which would also take our
car? Thank you!!!!
Old February 20th, 2009, 06:48 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
William Black

wrote in message
Hello,

My husband and I would like to retrace a family legend vacation. We
would like to travel across the US by car from San Francisco to New
York and then to Europe with our car. Does anybody know if it is
possible to find a way to travel by a ship which would also take our
car? Thank you!!!!

Doubtful.

Cargo ships these days tend not to take passengers, those that do ( a few
big fast cargo ships) charge a lot of money.

Shipping your car is easy. Just about any big shipping agent will ship it
for you.

The lights will need to be modified to meet European standards on arrival
and you may need the car testing, depending on age, but the technical
problems are minor. Several thousand people import motor vehicles into the
EC from the USA every year.

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old February 20th, 2009, 07:55 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
je

On 20 fév, 05:37, wrote:
Hello,

My husband and I would like to retrace a family legend vacation. We
would like to travel across the US by car from San Francisco to New
York and then to Europe with our car. Does anybody know if it is
possible to find a way to travel by a ship which would also take our
car? Thank you!!!!

Best probably is to check with some transportation
companies. To my knowledge, only a few cargo ships
carry also passengers - chances are that you will
have to ship your car with a transportation company
and travel to Euope with an other ship or by plane for
picking it up at arrival

Check also for insurances (car and for yourself)

As long as you are travelling as tourists (as opposed
to "residents") usually no modifications to your car
have to be done - as far as international agreements
apply and there are no evident safety issue.
If you consider "importing" the car to some country
in Europe (for selling or becoming a resident) make
sure your car is sold in Europe too - then at least
the headlights will have to be changed and it might
be difficult to find matching equipment.

Might also be worth comparing prices and conditions
for travelling out of Canada to Europe

Have a great trip!
Old February 20th, 2009, 08:43 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tim C.[_5_]

On Fri, 20 Feb 2009 11:18:13 +0530, William Black wrote in post :
:

The lights will need to be modified to meet European standards on arrival
and you may need the car testing,

I don't think that's necessary for a temporary import is it?

--
Tim C.
Old February 20th, 2009, 10:05 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Keith Willshaw[_4_]

wrote in message
Hello,

My husband and I would like to retrace a family legend vacation. We
would like to travel across the US by car from San Francisco to New
York and then to Europe with our car. Does anybody know if it is
possible to find a way to travel by a ship which would also take our
car? Thank you!!!!

Doubtful.

Cargo ships these days tend not to take passengers, those that do ( a few
big fast cargo ships) charge a lot of money.

Shipping your car is easy. Just about any big shipping agent will ship it
for you.

The lights will need to be modified to meet European standards on arrival
and you may need the car testing, depending on age, but the technical
problems are minor. Several thousand people import motor vehicles into
the EC from the USA every year.

We see a lot of them in Cambridgeshire , mostly they belong to US
servicemen at Mildenhall or Lakenheath.

Keith

Old February 20th, 2009, 10:06 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Keith Willshaw[_4_]

"Tim C." wrote in message
On Fri, 20 Feb 2009 11:18:13 +0530, William Black wrote in post :
:

The lights will need to be modified to meet European standards on arrival
and you may need the car testing,

I don't think that's necessary for a temporary import is it?

At the very least you need to ensure the headlights dip to the
correct side of the road.

Keith

Old February 20th, 2009, 01:58 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim.....

"Keith Willshaw" wrote in message

"Tim C." wrote in message
On Fri, 20 Feb 2009 11:18:13 +0530, William Black wrote in post :
:

The lights will need to be modified to meet European standards on
arrival
and you may need the car testing,

I don't think that's necessary for a temporary import is it?

At the very least you need to ensure the headlights dip to the
correct side of the road.

The worse thing about US cars IME is that stupid flashing "stop" light
pretending to be an indicator light. Whether this needs to be changed, I
have no idea.

Having said that I think the whole idea is completely impractical. Whilst
you can ship your car you can't just pick it up on the day of arrival. It
will sit there for days whilst someone does some paperwork. And the cost
will be more than a hire car, even for 8-10 weeks (though it's not clear if
this is two way trip or not)

tim

Old February 20th, 2009, 02:01 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
je

On 20 fév, 10:06, "Keith Willshaw"
wrote:
"Tim C." wrote in message
On Fri, 20 Feb 2009 11:18:13 +0530, William Black wrote in post :
:

The lights will need to be modified to meet European standards on arrival
and you may need the car testing,

I don't think that's necessary for a temporary import is it?

At the very least you need to ensure the headlights dip to the
correct side of the road.

afaik US cars use[ed] symetric headlights ?
Old February 20th, 2009, 02:42 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Bert Hyman

In "tim....."
wrote:

The worse thing about US cars IME is that stupid flashing "stop" light
pretending to be an indicator light.

What?

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
Old February 20th, 2009, 03:44 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Bert Hyman

In Mike
wrote:

Bert Hyman wrote:

The worse thing about US cars IME is that stupid flashing "stop"
light pretending to be an indicator light.

What?

stop tail lights that flash as indicators, jive seen them on US cars
in England, so probably legal?

You're talking about a single rear light that serves both as a turn
signal and a brake light?

Some cars are configured that way, some aren't; there's no consistency,
even among models from the same maker.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN