What is in Germany south of Tønder Denmark?

Old May 22nd, 2005, 12:48 PM
Jesper Lauridsen

On Sat, 21 May 2005 20:59:32 -0400, Don Wiss wrote:

What is in Germany south of Tønder Denmark?

All of it.

Old May 22nd, 2005, 12:53 PM
Don Wiss

On Sun, 22 May 2005, Jesper Lauridsen wrote:

On Sat, 21 May 2005 20:59:32 -0400, Don Wiss wrote:

What is in Germany south of Tønder Denmark?

All of it.

I guess then I'll have to put some jet engines on the bicycle so I can get
to all of it and back on the same day trip.

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).
Old May 22nd, 2005, 01:34 PM
Douglas W. Hoyt

The islands of Sylt and Foehr are great--and great for bicycling. You might
easily be able to bike to Dagebull, take the ferry over to Foehr, and then
ride around the coast (counter-clockwise is nice). However the causeway to
Sylt is only traversable by train, so you'd have to bike to a town with a
train connection to Westerland, and then explore the towns and dunes from
there. Since you can take bikes on regional trains, you might consider
getting a Schleswig-Holstein Karte for the day and training it to the Baltic
and biking down the coast to Luebeck. The area around Ploen is also
beautiful (Swiss Holstein) with lakes. The city of Kiel makes a nice stop
along the way too. If you combine train and bike, and a hiking/biking map
plus a guide to the area, you'll have lots of beautiful (and flat biking!)
options.

Old May 24th, 2005, 01:35 AM
Don Wiss

"tim \(moved to sweden\)" wrote:

How many bottles of beer can you carry on a bike?

It is irrelevant. I have celiac disease and can't drink beer. Does Denmark
have cider on tap like in the UK?

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).
Old May 24th, 2005, 01:46 AM
Don Wiss

"tim \(moved to sweden\)" wrote:

Kristian wrote:
Don Wiss wrote:
3-Padborg, Gråsten, Sønderborg, Als

Sønderborg and Als a very nice area, but its 65 km from Tønder.

Why not get the bus/train one way. Takes 2 hours every two hours.
Carriage of bikes possible on the bus,

I had no idea that one could take a bike on a bus! Not here in the US.

reservation required
on the train.

The map in my Lonely Planet shows no train tracks between Tønder and
Tinglev.

Though probably better is to do the (presumably)
less interesting bit between Tønder and Tinglev both ways
on the bus and cycle to the island and back (thus avoiding the
requirement to reserve for the train).

It looks like about 20 km between Tønder and Tinglev. The route planner has
only 35 minutes bus time between these two, running hourly. Knocking 40 km
off would give me energy and time to do more of Als.

Last bus back is 22:43.

Which is just about when twilight will be. If I got back to Tinglev earlier
I could, if I felt like it, bike that stretch home. When I get all the bike
maps I may have some idea what that stretch is like. I'm hoping for some
maps like the scenic bike route topographical maps I got in The
Netherlands.

Thanks for the bus idea.

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).
Old May 24th, 2005, 08:38 PM
Ulf Kutzner

Default What is in Germany south of Tønder Denmark?

"tim (moved to sweden)" schrieb:

Why not get the bus/train one way. Takes 2 hours every two hours.
Carriage of bikes possible on the bus,

I had no idea that one could take a bike on a bus! Not here in the US.

It's quite common in parts of Europe, though some places have some
peak restrictions.

reservation required
on the train.

The map in my Lonely Planet shows no train tracks between Tønder and
Tinglev.

That bit's the bus.
(there is a railway but it's closed)

By the way, the railway to Niebüll/Germany has been reopened.

Regards, ULF
Old May 24th, 2005, 08:39 PM
Ulf Kutzner

"tim (moved to sweden)" schrieb:

Skipping Germany I see three trips I could make:

1-Ribe

Nice town worth a day trip.

2-Mødeltønder, Højer, Rømø

Exellent idea

3-Padborg, Gråsten, Sønderborg, Als

Sønderborg and Als a very nice area, but its 65 km from Tønder.

Why not get the bus/train one way. Takes 2 hours every two hours.
Carriage of bikes possible on the bus, reservation required
on the train.

Maybe not on regional trains.

Regards, ULF