What is in Germany south of Tønder Denmark?

Old May 22nd, 2005, 01:59 AM
Don Wiss

Default What is in Germany south of Tønder Denmark?

I'm planning four nights in Southern Jutland. I had been planning to base
myself in Tønder. I would have three full days for bicycle excursions. If
in Tønder I could go North, West, and into Germany. But just what is in
Germany south of Tønder? (I have no Germany guide book.) If nothing
exciting (I like old towns and pretty countryside) I could instead stay in
Ribe. Being bigger Ribe does have the advantage of more to see when I'm not
out on a bicycle day trip.

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).
Old May 22nd, 2005, 09:29 AM
shylock1

"Don Wiss" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
I'm planning four nights in Southern Jutland. I had been planning to base
myself in Tønder. I would have three full days for bicycle excursions. If
in Tønder I could go North, West, and into Germany. But just what is in
Germany south of Tønder? (I have no Germany guide book.) If nothing
exciting (I like old towns and pretty countryside) I could instead stay in
Ribe. Being bigger Ribe does have the advantage of more to see when I'm

not
out on a bicycle day trip.

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).

Hi Don,
have a look to: http://www.schleswig-holstein.info/english/angebot.php

Old May 22nd, 2005, 12:51 PM
Don Wiss

On Sun, 22 May 2005 10:29:49 +0200, shylock1 wrote:

Don Wiss schrieb:
I'm planning four nights in Southern Jutland. I had been planning to base
myself in Tønder. I would have three full days for bicycle excursions. If
in Tønder I could go North, West, and into Germany. But just what is in
Germany south of Tønder? (I have no Germany guide book.) If nothing
exciting (I like old towns and pretty countryside) I could instead stay in
Ribe. Being bigger Ribe does have the advantage of more to see when I'm not
out on a bicycle day trip.

have a look to: http://www.schleswig-holstein.info/english/angebot.php

Thanks. But I can't tell just what there is within bicycling distance of
Tønder. (The site is promoting the entire region.) With the long days of
June I can do a 100 km trip. Usually they are shorter, depending on my
stops along the way.

The PDF brochure does show a bicycle route coming down from Denmark. But it
lacks any distances, so I have no idea how much of it could be in a day
trip.

As for the mud flats. Is this different from what I would find along the
North Sea in Denmark?

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).
Old May 22nd, 2005, 01:27 PM
Kristian

Don Wiss wrote:

I'm planning four nights in Southern Jutland. I had been planning to base
myself in Tønder. I would have three full days for bicycle excursions. If
in Tønder I could go North, West, and into Germany. But just what is in
Germany south of Tønder? (I have no Germany guide book.) If nothing
exciting (I like old towns and pretty countryside) I could instead stay in
Ribe. Being bigger Ribe does have the advantage of more to see when I'm not
out on a bicycle day trip.

Here is a suggestion for a day trip (a long one!), provided you are
basing yourself in Tønder:

Bike to the island of Sylt (German ) . From List at northern end of
the island take the the 1 hour ferry ride north to Rømø (Denmark).
From Romo it will be something like 50 kms back to Tønder.

Some pics from Sylt:
http://www.sylt-wetter.de/index2.html
Romo webpage:
http://www.romo.dk/Engelsk/default.htm
Ferry line between Sylt and Romo:
http://www.frs.info/syltfaehre/dk/index.jsp
Road distances Denmark:
http://www.trafikken.dk/vejafstande....pt&objno=57999

Kristian
Old May 22nd, 2005, 03:04 PM
Lennart Petersen

"Don Wiss" skrev i meddelandet
I'm planning four nights in Southern Jutland. I had been planning to base
myself in Tønder. I would have three full days for bicycle excursions. If
in Tønder I could go North, West, and into Germany. But just what is in
Germany south of Tønder? (I have no Germany guide book.) If nothing
exciting (I like old towns and pretty countryside) I could instead stay in
Ribe. Being bigger Ribe does have the advantage of more to see when I'm
not
out on a bicycle day trip.

-------------------
Skip Germany as that part of Germany is boring (north Lübeck and Hamburg)
and save the time for the more interesting Danish towns.

Old May 22nd, 2005, 04:40 PM
Don Wiss

On Sun, 22 May 2005, Lennart Petersen wrote:

Don Wiss skrev:
I'm planning four nights in Southern Jutland. I had been planning to base
myself in Tønder. I would have three full days for bicycle excursions.

Skip Germany as that part of Germany is boring (north Lübeck and Hamburg)
and save the time for the more interesting Danish towns.

Skipping Germany I see three trips I could make:

1-Ribe
2-Mødeltønder, Højer, Rømø
3-Padborg, Gråsten, Sønderborg, Als

Though the last one may be overly ambitious. Basing myself in Tønder is
dependent on being able to rent a bicycle in Tønder. I've e-mailed Hostrups
Hotel asking if they rent, or if someplace in town does.

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).
Old May 22nd, 2005, 04:57 PM
Kristian

Don Wiss wrote:
Skip Germany as that part of Germany is boring (north Lübeck and Hamburg)
and save the time for the more interesting Danish towns.

Skipping Germany I see three trips I could make:

1-Ribe

Nice town worth a day trip.

2-Mødeltønder, Højer, Rømø

Exellent idea

3-Padborg, Gråsten, Sønderborg, Als

Sønderborg and Als a very nice area, but its 65 km from Tønder.

Old May 23rd, 2005, 09:59 PM
tim \(moved to sweden\)

"googled" wrote in message
news:1116741755.1ed35ef7c4ce8f7d7e7bee06f3ec795f@b ubbanews...

"Don Wiss" wrote in message
I'm planning four nights in Southern Jutland. I had been planning to base
myself in Tønder. I would have three full days for bicycle excursions. If
in Tønder I could go North, West, and into Germany. But just what is in
Germany south of Tønder? (I have no Germany guide book.) If nothing
exciting (I like old towns and pretty countryside) I could instead stay
in
Ribe. Being bigger Ribe does have the advantage of more to see when I'm

not
out on a bicycle day trip.

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).

Border stores. If you have never been in a border store, you can go south
of
the border and visit Calle. http://www.calle.dk/

How many bottles of beer can you carry on a bike?

tim

Old May 24th, 2005, 05:15 PM
tim \(moved to sweden\)

"Don Wiss" wrote in message
"tim \(moved to sweden\)" wrote:

Kristian wrote:
Don Wiss wrote:
3-Padborg, Gråsten, Sønderborg, Als
Sønderborg and Als a very nice area, but its 65 km from Tønder.

Why not get the bus/train one way. Takes 2 hours every two hours.
Carriage of bikes possible on the bus,

I had no idea that one could take a bike on a bus! Not here in the US.

It's quite common in parts of Europe, though some places have some
peak restrictions.

reservation required
on the train.

The map in my Lonely Planet shows no train tracks between Tønder and
Tinglev.

That bit's the bus.
(there is a railway but it's closed)

tim