Defending Torremolinos From Mike Reid :-)

Old February 23rd, 2006, 07:27 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Default Defending Torremolinos From Mike Reid :-)

Mike Reid wrote in a few posts above:

"Very few people here are travelers, you're all just
holidaymaker's, little different to the package tour cattle on
their way to Torremolinos to get drunk, enter Miss Wet T shirt
competitions and shag each other".

Allow me to raise my head above the parapet a little in defence of this much
maligned town.

I've taken my family on our summer hols to the Costa Del Sol over the years
and have stayed in Torremolinos on a number of occasions. Last year my wife
and I returned on our own for a week as the kids have outgrown us.We have
always enjoyed our breaks there.

We are ordinary quiet middle-class types, literate, interested in the arts.
We don't have tattoos, are not given to drunkeness, and wouldn't be seen
dead observing a Wet T Shirt competition or anything similar. Most of the
people we come across there seem to be of similar ilk.

We go to the Costa for the guaranteed sunshine, for the excellent
accommodation (The Sol Principe Hotel in particular), and for the fine range
of restaurants.

It is an excellent base for exploring the many attractons of Andalucia:
Ronda, Granada, Malaga, etc. You can also take a day trip to Tangiers and
experience a touch of exotic North Africa.

There is a fine Picasso museum in Malaga (his home town) - a few miles from
Torremolinos - and (gasp) you will actually find package holidaymakers
visiting it.

I've never experienced any trouble in Torremolinos. It seems to be very well
policed. No signs of public drunkeness. Everyone seems well behaved and
polite. I would class it as a pleasant family resort. Like ourselves, it's
middle aged and respectable. The Wet T Shirt crowd are more likely to be
seen in Magaluf, Ayia Napa, and Playa del Ingles.

Package tour cattle? No. We take the package for the convenience and the
cost.

So lets not be beastly to Torremolinos and the people who go there. I would
highly recommend it.

Carrigman

Old February 23rd, 2006, 07:31 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

carrigman wrote:
[...]

thats because he's a snob !

Old February 24th, 2006, 11:14 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Following up to eetinBelgië

So lets not be beastly to Torremolinos and the people who go there. I would
highly recommend it.

Carrigman

thats because he's a snob !

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
--
Mike Reid
Walk-eat-photos UK "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" -- you can email us@ this site
Old February 24th, 2006, 11:14 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Following up to carrigman

"Very few people here are travelers, you're all just
holidaymaker's, little different to the package tour cattle on
their way to Torremolinos to get drunk, enter Miss Wet T shirt
competitions and shag each other".

Allow me to raise my head above the parapet a little in defence of this much
maligned town.

Go ahead, Spain is maligned by too many saloon bar experts.

I've taken my family on our summer hols to the Costa Del Sol over the years
and have stayed in Torremolinos on a number of occasions. Last year my wife
and I returned on our own for a week as the kids have outgrown us.We have
always enjoyed our breaks there.

I passed through Tossa del Mar the other day, one of those
maligned towns, its actually a rather pleasant looking quite
small place along a quite lonely coastal/mountain road, no doubt
those bussed in don't realise its in pleasant countryside with
not a lager lout for miles.

We are ordinary quiet middle-class types, literate, interested in the arts.
We don't have tattoos, are not given to drunkeness, and wouldn't be seen
dead observing a Wet T Shirt competition or anything similar. Most of the
people we come across there seem to be of similar ilk.

Oh come on, you wouldn't look at a girl in a wet T shirt? :-

We go to the Costa for the guaranteed sunshine, for the excellent
accommodation (The Sol Principe Hotel in particular), and for the fine range
of restaurants.

I've never been anywhere in Spain you couldn't find a good meal,
often a fine meal, El Bulli is on the Costa Brava after all.
"http://www.fell-walker.co.uk/bulli2.htm"
(although there's one poster here who doesn't believe it).
We just stayed in a place called Figures, a well equipped but
plain motel with a fantastic restaurant, the meal was expensive,
degustacion of truffles, what can you expect? But the room was
really cheap and as always in Spain, clean.

It is an excellent base for exploring the many attractons of Andalucia:
Ronda, Granada, Malaga, etc. You can also take a day trip to Tangiers and
experience a touch of exotic North Africa.

I must do that on one trip (N Africa)

There is a fine Picasso museum in Malaga (his home town) - a few miles from
Torremolinos - and (gasp) you will actually find package holidaymakers
visiting it.

it shouldn't be allowed! There's a nice tapas bar in the square
by his house, they have a red hot solid fuel cooker in the middle
of the bar, very prominent. Two (posh) Brit's came in and said "I
suppose they heat it up in microwaves round the back" :-(

I've never experienced any trouble in Torremolinos. It seems to be very well
policed. No signs of public drunkeness. Everyone seems well behaved and
polite. I would class it as a pleasant family resort. Like ourselves, it's
middle aged and respectable.

I promise I'll look next time we are down there.

The Wet T Shirt crowd are more likely to be
seen in Magaluf, Ayia Napa, and Playa del Ingles.

and Palma Nova, Arenal and Croydon?

Package tour cattle? No. We take the package for the convenience and the
cost.

promise me you don't bring back a raffia donkey and a poster of a
bullfighter with your name on it :-)

Seriously, have you looked at individual booking via web in
comparison? Last time I looked at major resort prices direct
booking was more expensive than a package, I wonder if the hotel
you like is offering a decent deal direct now? I used to go to
Alcudia and the Esperanza was exorbitant direct , dirt cheap on
package, but its worth keeping an eye on the situation.
Also by direct booking you can get to the more "Spanish" places,
if you know what I mean.

So lets not be beastly to Torremolinos and the people who go there. I would
highly recommend it.

The question is, are there still any windmills and to quote
Travelog "will spains new found sophistication rub off on us?"
That was 2 questions, wasn't it?
Er, three.
--
Mike Reid
Walking in Spain & Spanish regional cooking at
Old February 24th, 2006, 12:58 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

When I was in Torremolinos, there was one bar, Bar Central, two very
inexpensive restaurants and two "hotels", i.e., places to sleep without
hot water. I coulda bought the whole town for U$10,000.

Marbella had a shack on the beach and that was just about it. Coulda
bought that town for U$1,000 . . . ah, lack of foresight. Who'da thunk?
-- __________________________________________________ ______________
Un San Francisqueño en San Francisco.
http://geocities.com/dancefest/ --- http://geocities.com/iconoc/
ICQ: http://wwp.mirabilis.com/19098103 ------- IClast at Gmail com

[Content below asterisks not mine.]

Old February 24th, 2006, 01:03 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

The Reid writes:

promise me you don't bring back a raffia donkey and a poster of a
bullfighter with your name on it :-)

Ahem! I didn't see any raffia donkeys (and they might not get on with
my excellent Ikea julbock anyway) but the bullfighter poster is
proudly displayed, even if I was sent to Maðree for work and stayed a
little for culture.

Des
Old February 24th, 2006, 01:07 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

The Reid wrote:
Following up to carrigman

"Very few people here are travelers, you're all just
holidaymaker's, little different to the package tour cattle on
their way to Torremolinos to get drunk, enter Miss Wet T shirt
competitions and shag each other".

Allow me to raise my head above the parapet a little in defence of this much
maligned town.

Go ahead, Spain is maligned by too many saloon bar experts.

The same ones that pontificate about the middle east?

Mr B;

Old February 24th, 2006, 01:41 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

The Reid wrote:

Following up to

Go ahead, Spain is maligned by too many saloon bar experts.

The same ones that pontificate about the middle east?

congratulations, three posts in a row with zero meaningful
content.

I think your chip fell on someone else's shoulders!

--
David Horne-
http://www.davidhorne.net