CyberFlying???

Old March 20th, 2012, 12:10 AM posted to rec.travel.air
mag3

Default CyberFlying???

On Thu, 20 Oct 2011 18:06:37 -0400, mag3 wrote:

Hello all. Long time since I've been on RTA. Mostly since I don't really fly anymore.
Different priorities in life now.

So I've been doing the next best thing. :-) I cannot believe the amount of video footage
I've found recently on YouTube of aircraft take offs/landings, engine starts etc. and
especially from *inside* the aircraft. I mean, this is some really good stuff... HD720p
footage usually from BC, pointed right out a window just forward of the engine with
excellent sound, quite like I remember it.

I guess my question is, how is it even possible to acquire such footage from inside the
aircraft given the prohibition on "portable electronic devices" below 10,000ft? Perhaps,
it may have been "overlooked" in the earlier days of "heightened security awareness,"
but I'm really wondering how anyone could get away with it today? Even if permission
were to be granted by the captain or crew, the passengers wouldn't necessarily know
that and might raise a ruckus on their own... leaving the crew to clean up.

"Unofficially," I thank those who take such good footage, as it's all the flying I do these
days (Cyberflying), but I just wonder how it's even possible...

Well, it would seem, perhaps the FAA is, slowly but finally, starting to move on relaxing
the prohibitions... Although, I don't see "camcorders" among the listed items, nor do I
see cell phones. Probably not cells since that's an FCC thing.

http://apne.ws/GzrvYM

Regards,

Arnold