A Travel and vacations forum. TravelBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » TravelBanter forum » Travelling Style » Air travel
Site Map Home Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

New Regulations - Lithium Batteries now restricted....

Old December 30th, 2007, 05:41 PM posted to rec.travel.air
mag3
external usenet poster

Default New Regulations - Lithium Batteries now restricted....

Hi All R.T.A'ers... Long time no type..... All the best for safe travel in 2008!

With the new year brings new legislative lunacy, and hence a new restriction from the
PHMSA (Pipeline and Haz. Mat. Safety Admin, part of the DOT) to be enforced by the TSA
in "Lithium-Ion" batteries. Apparently, spare batteries are no longer permitted in check
baggage unless they are attached to a device (I assume the device the battery is meant to
power).... or they are permitted in carry-ons attached to the device or wrapped in a plastic
ziploc type bag. The greater issue being, there is now a "limit of two batteries" according
to the notice. The objective is to avoid these batteries causing or contributing to fires on
the aircraft....

Of course, the notice is posted on the TSA website with all the classic obfuscation that can be
mustered. Does this mean only "two batteries per device" or "two batteries no matter how
many devices" or "two batteries including the one inside the device" or what????? What if
two or more devices use the same lithium battery type? Are NiMH and regular Alkaline
batteries exempt from this rule?

Anyone heard more details on this and what it really means? I often carry 3-4 small lithium
batteries for both my digital camera and my camcorder (they both take the same model)
and my underwater camera which has a different type of lithium. It's gonna make it hard
now to take pictures underwater when diving if I don't have 2-3 spare batteries already
charged and ready for a quick change during a surface interval....

Arnold