UK airport strikes in January

Old December 30th, 2007, 05:44 PM posted to rec.travel.air
tim.....

Default UK airport strikes in January

"z0ned0ut" wrote in message

On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 12:43:07 -0000 'tim.....'
wrote this on rec.travel.air:

"z0ned0ut" wrote in message

On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 08:32:17 -0000 'tim.....'
wrote this on rec.travel.air:

"z0ned0ut" wrote in message

Does anybody have a view on whether the planned BAA strikes for
7/Jan (24hrs), 14/Jan (24hrs) and 17/Jan (48hrs) will spill over
to the days before or after these days?

As It's unclear what will actually happen on the day, I doubt it will be
possible to predict what will happen on the days after. Though I doubt
anything will happen on the day before.

It would be nice to see an official announcement as to what is expected,
but
I haven't so far.

I'm booked to fly on the 7th and no-one has contacted me to tell me to
do
anything different to normal.

Ooh er! The 7th. I have to assume you will be affected.

Correct, but how?.

Dunno. Cancelled flight? Delayed flight?

I was thinking more along the lines of checking in at T-2 hours, having to
queue for three hours to get through security, missing my flight because it
takes off on time and the airline saying "tough". This is how LCCs work.
And at STN probably in excess of 80% of flights are LCCs and 50%+ at LGW.

Last I heard is that on the strike days, BAA might shut the airports
due to having no security staff on duty.

Then you have heard something that the airlines haven't heard. I think
that
is unlikely.

I feel sure that if BAA were expecting that they would have to shut the
airports they would be saying so and airlines would be making
contingencies
(at the very least they would stop taking bookings for the days in
question,
which demonstrably, they are still doing).

That's odd. IIRC it was a BAA spokesman on BBC TV who explained

I have been watching N24 most of the day (because theres **** all else on!)
and have seen no reports, nor did I see any on the 'normal' news on the main
channels (it's all Pakistan). It (the news) is actually on now, not a
squeak!

that all the security staff and other workers who keep the terminals
running would be on strike on those days. Thus, he explained they

Of the 'necessary' functions, what do BAA do? They don't run the check in
desk. They don't run the passport/customs check, they don't man the gate.
All that they do is check my bag as it goes through the machine. Is that
right? Do they do the baggage handling or do they just maintain the
machines?

They also clean the floor, toilets, fix the lights etc, but that can look
after itself for a day. Oh and they staff the duty free shop, man I'll be
really pee-ed off if I can't shop for the day.

ISTM that they can do what is done when other transport facilitators go on
strike, run the necessary functions using Managers and forget about the
rest. I can't see any need to close the airport.

The baggage handling could be a problem, but if it is they ought to be
advertising this LOUDLY and if necessary saying that pax requiring checked
luggage cannot fly that day and telling airlines to re-book pax as
appropriate. But they aren't doing this. ISTM that are doing nothing now,
and hoping that the problem will go away.

might have to shut the terminals and divert inbound/outbound flights
for security reasons. Can you imagine a terminal building being left
open with flights arriving/departing without security staff and
other workers to control the flow of people? I can't.

Well obviously not, but as I pointed out in the previous post, I don't see
many inbound flights being diverted. If they are not sure that they are
going to be allowed back, it makes sense for a carried to cancel their
outbound.

I think we might get into a situation where public advice to
travelers is poor and erratic and they just say "turn up as usual".

Yep.

tim

Old December 30th, 2007, 05:49 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Lansbury

On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 16:07:47 +0000, z0ned0ut
wrote:

Thus, he explained they
might have to shut the terminals and divert inbound/outbound flights
for security reasons

They will not have to shut totally for security reasons as BAA security do not
have any effect on inbound flights.

They will have to shut if the airport fire service(s) most of who are union
members join the strike. No fire cover no airport.

--
Lansbury
www.uk-air.net
Old December 30th, 2007, 06:42 PM posted to rec.travel.air
z0ned0ut

On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 17:33:11 GMT 'KGB'
wrote this on rec.travel.air:

SNIP
I feel sure that if BAA were expecting that they would have to shut the
airports they would be saying so and airlines would be making contingencies
(at the very least they would stop taking bookings for the days in question,
which demonstrably, they are still doing).

That's odd. IIRC it was a BAA spokesman on BBC TV who explained
that all the security staff and other workers who keep the terminals
running would be on strike on those days. Thus, he explained they
might have to shut the terminals and divert inbound/outbound flights
for security reasons. Can you imagine a terminal building being left
open with flights arriving/departing without security staff and
other workers to control the flow of people? I can't.

I think we might get into a situation where public advice to
travelers is poor and erratic and they just say "turn up as usual".

Hi

I feel sure that the airlines are working on the assumption that the
strike may be called off at the last minute.

From their point of view, if they stopped taking bookings for the
strike days and the strike WAS cancelled at the eleventh hour then
potentially they could theoretically be left with an open airport and
no passengers which would probably cost them more money than if the
strike went ahead.

Good point.
Old December 30th, 2007, 06:47 PM posted to rec.travel.air
z0ned0ut

On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 09:49:37 -0800 'Lansbury'
wrote this on rec.travel.air:

On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 16:07:47 +0000, z0ned0ut
wrote:

Thus, he explained they
might have to shut the terminals and divert inbound/outbound flights
for security reasons

They will not have to shut totally for security reasons as BAA security do not
have any effect on inbound flights.

I got the impression that all the security screening staff and
concourse security staff are union members. The latter would
likely effect incoming passengers indirectly ... so the question
becomes whether BAA would wish to allow thousands of people
to mill about without security staff on hand in case of accident
or any other troubles (eg violence) or perhaps someone trying
to get airside etc.

They will have to shut if the airport fire service(s) most of who are union
members join the strike. No fire cover no airport.

Indeed, I'd forgotten that.
Old December 30th, 2007, 11:14 PM posted to rec.travel.air
[email protected]

wrote this on rec.travel.air:

On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 16:07:47 +0000, z0ned0ut
wrote:

Thus, he explained they
might have to shut the terminals and divert inbound/outbound flights
for security reasons

They will not have to shut totally for security reasons as BAA security do not
have any effect on inbound flights.

I got the impression that all the security screening staff and
concourse security staff are union members. The latter would
likely effect incoming passengers indirectly ... so the question
becomes whether BAA would wish to allow thousands of people
to mill about without security staff on hand in case of accident
or any other troubles (eg violence) or perhaps someone trying
to get airside etc.

They will have to shut if the airport fire service(s) most of who are union
members join the strike. No fire cover no airport.

Indeed, I'd forgotten that.

According to this story, Air Malta has already decided to divert on
the affected dates. Passengers from GLA are being
advised to check in at PIK:

http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles...l/air-malta-an...

Not aware of any other airlines' announcements yet.

BrianN

Old December 31st, 2007, 04:03 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Mr. Travel

z0ned0ut wrote:

Does anybody have a view on whether the planned BAA strikes for
7/Jan (24hrs), 14/Jan (24hrs) and 17/Jan (48hrs) will spill over
to the days before or after these days?

I'm due to fly out of LHR on 23/January to get some sun...

If they plan to strike for specific times, it seems they would want to
stick to plan and not strike for 6 days at once.