RTW taxes = $1000?

Old December 28th, 2007, 04:33 PM posted to rec.travel.air
[email protected]

Default RTW taxes = $1000?

I just received an email from a travel agent regarding Star Alliance
RTW tickets:
--------------------
34,000 miles will start at $4,689

Now those prices do not include taxes or fees. And I can already tell
you that taxes will be over $1,000 on top of those prices.
--------------------
Is that possible? I'm planning about 10 flights (mostly Asia, a
couple Africa and Middle East), and she's trying to make her itinerary
seem competitively priced. I thought taxes would be more in the $500
ballpark.

-Jake
Old December 28th, 2007, 05:21 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Rick Blaine

" wrote:

34,000 miles will start at $4,689

Now those prices do not include taxes or fees. And I can already tell
you that taxes will be over $1,000 on top of those prices. Is that possible?

Have you looked at the details of a domestic ticket lately? The various air
taxes & fees make your phone bills and car rental bills seem reasonable. It's
not unusual to see $75 worth of taxes & fees on a $350 ticket. Scale that up to
$3500 and you're already at $750. Then add the fact that international tickets
get even more taxes and airport fees and $1000 isn't unusual.
Old December 28th, 2007, 06:38 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Graham Harrison[_2_]

wrote in message
I just received an email from a travel agent regarding Star Alliance
RTW tickets:
--------------------
34,000 miles will start at $4,689

Now those prices do not include taxes or fees. And I can already tell
you that taxes will be over $1,000 on top of those prices.
--------------------
Is that possible? I'm planning about 10 flights (mostly Asia, a
couple Africa and Middle East), and she's trying to make her itinerary
seem competitively priced. I thought taxes would be more in the $500
ballpark.

-Jake

Simple answer - Yes.

Old December 29th, 2007, 06:48 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Mr. Travel

Rick Blaine wrote:

" wrote:

34,000 miles will start at $4,689

Now those prices do not include taxes or fees. And I can already tell
you that taxes will be over $1,000 on top of those prices. Is that possible?

Have you looked at the details of a domestic ticket lately? The various air
taxes & fees make your phone bills and car rental bills seem reasonable. It's
not unusual to see $75 worth of taxes & fees on a $350 ticket. Scale that up to
$3500 and you're already at $750.

I wouldn't expect a tickeet to have 10 times the fees at 10 times the
price. For example, the USDA fee for entering the US is the same for
all ticket prices.
Old December 29th, 2007, 02:32 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Rick Blaine

"Mr. Travel" wrote:

Have you looked at the details of a domestic ticket lately? The various air
taxes & fees make your phone bills and car rental bills seem reasonable. It's
not unusual to see $75 worth of taxes & fees on a $350 ticket. Scale that up to
$3500 and you're already at $750.

I wouldn't expect a tickeet to have 10 times the fees at 10 times the
price. For example, the USDA fee for entering the US is the same for
all ticket prices.

USDA fees do not apply to _domestic_ tickets. Ticket taxes on the other hand are
assesed at a percent of the ticket. According to USA Today, taxes in 2002
accounted for 26% of the price of a domestic ticket. Can you imagine what they
are now?

And as I said, when you add international fees (like te USDA inspection fee),
it's easy to see $1000 in taxes and fees on a $3500 ticket.

http://www.thestreet.com/funds/ericgillin/10042197.html
Old December 31st, 2007, 03:44 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Mr. Travel

Rick Blaine wrote:
"Mr. Travel" wrote:

Have you looked at the details of a domestic ticket lately? The various air
taxes & fees make your phone bills and car rental bills seem reasonable. It's
not unusual to see $75 worth of taxes & fees on a $350 ticket. Scale that up to
$3500 and you're already at $750.

I wouldn't expect a tickeet to have 10 times the fees at 10 times the
price. For example, the USDA fee for entering the US is the same for
all ticket prices.

USDA fees do not apply to _domestic_ tickets. Ticket taxes on the other hand are
assesed at a percent of the ticket.

I agree, "taxes" are often a percentage.

However, I was responding to the post's statements regarding a ticket
costing 10 times as much would have 10 times the amount in taxes and fees.

What about the PFC's, fuel surcharges, exit fess, security fees, and
other fees?

AFAIK, these are NOT mainly based on base ticket cost.

Old December 31st, 2007, 04:33 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Rick Blaine

"Mr. Travel" wrote:

I agree, "taxes" are often a percentage.

However, I was responding to the post's statements regarding a ticket
costing 10 times as much would have 10 times the amount in taxes and fees.

What about the PFC's, fuel surcharges, exit fess, security fees, and
other fees? AFAIK, these are NOT mainly based on base ticket cost.

True, but me thinks you are splitting hairs. The OP was questioning whether
approximately $1000 for taxes & fees was to be expected on a $3500+ ticket.
While PFCs and security fees are a set amount, on international tickets they get
augmented by a bunch of other fees & taxes and taxes. Is it linear when compared
to a domestic ticket? No. Is it in the ballpark? Yes.
Old December 31st, 2007, 12:40 PM posted to rec.travel.air
tim.....

"Mr. Travel" wrote in message
Rick Blaine wrote:
"Mr. Travel" wrote:

[...]

How does fuel surcharge become to a TAX?

tim

Old December 31st, 2007, 12:53 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Mr. Travel

tim..... wrote:

"Mr. Travel" wrote in message

Rick Blaine wrote:

[...]