Jews Strive To Restore Christmas Trees At Seattle Airport

Old December 12th, 2006, 05:57 PM posted to alt.abortion,alt.anarchism,alt.atheism,rec.travel.air,soc.culture.jewish
[email protected]

Default Jews Strive To Restore Christmas Trees At Seattle Airport

On 11-Dec-2006, Mxsmanic wrote:

Christmas is a secular holiday in the United States.

Except for that holy day of obligation & all that.

[nip rest of crap to other stupidity]

Of course, with events like this, antisemitism is only encouraged, or
sometimes perhaps even engendered where it didn't exist before.

We are not frightened by this age-old, and still lame, threat.

Susan
Old December 12th, 2006, 05:58 PM posted to alt.abortion,alt.anarchism,alt.atheism,rec.travel.air,soc.culture.jewish
[email protected]

On 12-Dec-2006, "Anarcissie" wrote:

It would help if Christians would acknowledge that the
Christmas tree is non-Christian.

They OLNLY do this when someone complains about them
forcing their religion on everyone.
In which case I usually answre "Okay, stop forcing paganism on me."
They don't really like that, either.

Alternatively, they could
go on believing that it is right for them to impose their
religion on everyone else, as they have in the past, but
be more open about it: 'Here's a Christmas tree in your
face, because we have the power to put it there."

They're not stupid enough to do that anymore.

Susan
Old December 12th, 2006, 07:08 PM posted to alt.atheism,alt.anarchism,rec.travel.air,soc.culture.jewish
Al Klein

On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 05:32:00 +0100, Mxsmanic
wrote:

Christmas is a secular holiday in the United States.

That's a nice lie, but it doesn't fly in the face of Christian
campaigns like "Jesus is the reason for the season" and "put the
Christ back into Christmas".

You can't have it both ways.
--
rukbat at optonline dot net
I cannot conceive of a god who rewards and punishes his creatures
Old December 12th, 2006, 09:18 PM posted to alt.anarchism,rec.travel.air
Paul Bramscher

Mark K. Bilbo wrote:
On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 19:18:32 -0800, Mike Hunt wrote:

The issue isn't that the Rabbi wanted the Christmas ornaments removed,
but he wanted representation of his religion a this public facility.

That request was denied, even though the last Supreme Court case on the
subject agreed with the Rabbi.

The fact that the airport management took down the Christmas ornaments
leads me to believe that they knew they were in violation of that ruling
. Why didn't they simply allow the Menorah to be displayed? Could it be
they are anti-semitic

It was a good, grandstanding way of getting what they wanted. I understand
that the trees are coming back.

I notice nobody asking why it is tax money has to be spent on ornaments
rather than silly things like, you know, fixing potholes or even something
really absurd like airport security...

Actually, spending tax money on airport security is the modern
equivalent of spending tax money to build a lighthouse network on the
Great Lakes -- largely for the benefit of the steel companies.

Sure, we all benefit from increased safety. But since the lanes
(whether sea or air) are plied by very top-heavy for-profit industries
-- isn't there something fishy going on when such an industry offloads
the least profitable aspect of its operation expenses to the taxpayer?

It's worse than either capitalism (supposedly "free market") or
communism (in which the public would also own the airline). Rather,
it's an advanced form of despotism, fascism, whatever you want to call
it, in which people are forced to pay for what is part of a for-profit
private service. Like building stadiums.
Old December 13th, 2006, 12:49 AM posted to alt.atheism,alt.abortion,alt.anarchism,rec.travel.air,soc.culture.jewish
James A. Donald

Mike Hunt
The issue isn't that the Rabbi wanted the Christmas
ornaments removed, but he wanted representation of his
religion a this public facility.

Christmas is a universal celebration, heavily celebrated
by pagans such as Chinese and Japanese. It is intended
to be universal - the slogan being "peace on earth and
goodwill to all men", not "Peace between Christians
while we make war on everyone else"

Whenever someone wishes you "happy holidays" he is
implicitly claiming that Christmas is "Peace between
Christians while we make war on everyone else", which if
the recipient happens to be a Christian, is an insult.

When someone launches a lawsuit, he is definitely
claiming that Christmas is "Peace between Christians
while we make war on everyone else" There is no
possibility of a peaceable end to such a lawsuit. If
they give him everything he demands, there will be long
queue of people making similar demands, concede and you
will be knee deep in litigation. The wiccans will
demand a giant phallus. The only escape from being
summoned before the courts is to chop down every
Christmas tree.

--
----------------------
We have the right to defend ourselves and our property, because

http://www.jim.com/ James A. Donald
Old December 13th, 2006, 12:53 AM posted to alt.atheism,alt.abortion,alt.anarchism,rec.travel.air,soc.culture.jewish
James A. Donald

Mike Hunt
The issue isn't that the Rabbi wanted the Christmas
ornaments removed, but he wanted representation of his
religion a this public facility.

That request was denied, even though the last Supreme
Court case on the subject agreed with the Rabbi.

This may come as a big surprise, but some people do not
want to spend several million dollars on litigation.

There was no possibility of a settlement. If they gave
him less than he wants, they go to court. If they give
him everything he wants, everyone lines up asking for a
piece of the action.

--
----------------------

Old December 13th, 2006, 02:27 AM posted to alt.atheism,alt.abortion,alt.anarchism,rec.travel.air,soc.culture.jewish
Mxsmanic

Mike Hunt writes:

For many Jewish people, the same is true of Hanukah

Then there should be no problem trading it for a similar holiday at a
similar time of year. Especially since the majority of the population
prefers Christmas trees to menorahs.

Old December 13th, 2006, 02:30 AM posted to alt.atheism,alt.anarchism,rec.travel.air,soc.culture.jewish
Mxsmanic

Al Klein writes:

That's a nice lie, but it doesn't fly in the face of Christian
campaigns like "Jesus is the reason for the season" and "put the
Christ back into Christmas".

Some people may say such things; I do not. Christmas is just an
excuse for a day or two off work and for some nice meals, decorations,
and presents.

You can't have it both ways.

I agree. But I think Christmas is fine as a secular holiday, even
though I consider the religious connotations stupid and inappropriate.