Beware Asiana Air Fare Class YL for Star Alliance Credit

Old August 11th, 2009, 04:09 AM posted to rec.travel.air
John Baker[_2_]

Default Beware Asiana Air Fare Class YL for Star Alliance Credit

I recently traveled round trip from San Francisco to Korea on Asiana
Air. I specifically booked the flight to receive prefered mileage on US
Air, a Star Alliance Member. What a mistake! While the service, leg
room and entertainment were good, I had the misfortune to book a YL
class fare and received zero frequent flyer miles for nearly 22 hours in
the air. I could have booked a United flight for only 50 dollars more
and received the 11240 mile credit. In fact, the Asiana flight I flew
was both a United and US Air code-share.

My corporate booking agent was unaware of the Asiana fare class rules.
The US Air agents I talked with assured me Asiana is a Star Alliance
member, there will be no problem with miles. I didn't realize there was
a problem till I saw "No Mile" on boarding card when I checked in for
the return flight. I complained strenously to Asiana agents in Seoul
with no satisfaction. If you're hoping to earn US Air or Star Alliance
frequent flyer miles, avoid Asiana.
Old August 12th, 2009, 06:25 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Sancho Panza[_1_]

"John Baker" wrote in message
[...]

A similar situation exists with Qantas's Jetstar operation, also with code
shares.