Sicily travelogue

Old February 24th, 2013, 11:33 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim.....

Default European Resturant Food prices (was Sicily travelogue)

"Alfred Molon" wrote in message
In article , tim..... says...

Well, wife and kids cannot survive on just a breakfast and a dinner
over
a whole day. There must also be a lunch.

Well yes.

But not three courses, surely?

You mean we should limit ourselves to just a dish of noodles and drink
only water? No salad, soup, no dessert?

No I'm not saying that you *should". You can chose to do what you like!

I'm saying that surely you do.

Do you really eat breakfast and two three course meals *every* day?

And even if just you order a dish of meat with some potatoes, together
with the "coperto" you are already close to 20 Euro (per person). Add a
drink and you are at 20 Euro.

There must be some choices for lunch other that this? No snack bars at
tourist attractions, cafes on the beach, restaurants inside large shops in
town, etc?

tim

Old February 24th, 2013, 02:28 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mike Lane[_2_]

Default European Resturant Food prices

Martin wrote on Feb 23, 2013:

On Sat, 23 Feb 2013 18:36:29 +0000, (David Horne)
wrote:

Martin wrote:

On Sat, 23 Feb 2013 17:47:31 +0000,
(David Horne)
wrote:

Martin wrote:

[]
UK probably has the cheapest meals available in restaurants in
Europe, thanks to the chains that Mitchel and Butlers, Whitbread and
similar own. Most UK supermarkets have a cafe/restaurant offering very
cheap meals too, without them some OAPs would starve.

For lunch we went to Carcluccio's and had the 'trio' for £20. Same as
the last time we were the seafood linguini, gnocchi, venison
tortelloni. Delicious and certainly filling for two adults...

http://www.carluccios.com/menus/manc...s/pasta-dishes
Sounds good!

I meant these sort of places serving food at Alfred M. prices

I know!

http://www.mbplc.com/ourbrands/crowncarveries/

http://www.crowncarveries.co.uk/offe...tedbreakfasts/
"Join us early doors at The Drawbridge in Rotherham and set yourself
up for the day with an unlimited cooked breakfast fit for a king -
only £3.99 from Saturday to Sunday"

http://www.crowncarveries.co.uk/thed...sundaycarvery/
"from Monday to Saturday we offer two carvery sizes to suit your
appetite: the smaller carvery at just £3.69** (a perfect kids' meal),
and the Crown carvery at £4.19. Why not max your meal by adding The
Works for just £1.50 extra"

I haven't been to those types of places much- certainly good value...
when working outside Watford recently, those of us staying in the Hilton
went to the Toby Carvery next door for breakfast because it was much
cheaper.

If we have breakfast on the ferry, first we have to get up very early
and secondly it costs almost £20 for the two of us. If we hang on
until we get to a Crown it costs us around £12 with coffee.
If we go in a Morrison's it costs us about £7. All are better than
the last breakfast that we had on the ferry. Morrison's seem to feed a
lot of OAPs.

If you're talking about the P&O North Sea ferries, we've long come to the
conclusion that their on-board meals are a total waste of money. They seem to
cater for the all-the-garbage-you-can-eat brigade who don't seem to mind
paying eye-watering prices. For breakfast we go to the coffee bar and have a
coffee and croissant for a fiver or so, which is still expensive but at least
reasonably palatable.

--
Mike Lane
UK North Yorkshire

Old February 24th, 2013, 03:19 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Alfred Molon[_6_]

In article , tim..... says...
Do you really eat breakfast and two three course meals *every* day?

I think you are missing the point. It may be the case that you want to
eat more than just a dish of noodles and want to drink something other
than tap water.

Doesn't have to be a three course meal, but you might want to order a
soup or other appetiser, sometimes a salad, sometimes a dessert.

All no problem if the restaurant is not expensive, but in average
Sicilian restaurant once you order more than the absolute basic, things
get expensive very quickly.

And again, eating sandwiches or fast food every day, for lunch and
dinner, is also not an option if you travel with kids. Kids shouldn't be
given junk food twice per day. And yes, kids need three meals
(breakfast, lunch and dinner) every day.
--

Alfred Molon
Old February 24th, 2013, 09:49 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erilar

David Horne wrote:
Alfred Molon wrote:

In article , Frank
Hucklenbroich says...
Seems like what you would pay in a city in Germany. Then again, even in a
country like Germany prices can vary regionally. I live in Cologne, and
restaurants here are rather expensive. When I once went to Kiel (northern
coastal town), I was surprisend that food in Restaurants was about 25%
cheaper than in Cologne.

To make an example, here in Munich you can go to the PEP (Perlacher
Einkaufszentrum) and eat for 4-7 Euro. You will get a dish with rice or
noodles with meat and vegetables.

That's a shopping mall. You will get similar prices in malls in the UK
and US, but 'proper' restaurants are generally more expensive, as they
are in Germany too.

David

Kiosk? Grocery store?

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist with iPad
Old February 25th, 2013, 10:05 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Torsten Villnow

Am 24.02.2013 15:19, schrieb Alfred Molon:
And again, eating sandwiches or fast food every day, for lunch and
dinner, is also not an option if you travel with kids. Kids shouldn't be
given junk food twice per day. And yes, kids need three meals
(breakfast, lunch and dinner) every day.

When we were travelling with our kids we usually had snacks (sandwiches,
fruit, etc.) at lunch and the (only) hot meal in a restaurant in the
evening. This was similar to our habits at home (but "switched"), were
we have a hot meal at lunch and a cold supper in the evening.

Not visiting a restaurant twice a day was not only a matter of not
spending too much money, but more on not "wasting" previous time during
the day, when we were on tour.

--
Torsten Villnow
Old February 25th, 2013, 10:44 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Giovanni Drogo

On Fri, 22 Feb 2013, Alfred Molon wrote:

The other point is that local eating times are quite different
from those in Northern Italy (and surely from those you are
accustomed to). Difficult to find a snack-place at noon for lunch
(more likely around 14), or a restaurant before 20 in the evening
(more likely 21).

Usually we do not eat so late (i.e. after 8-9pm). We have small kids
who need to eat early in order to go sleeping early.

But surely if you would travel to a place in another timezone, you would
shift your eating times and adapt to the local ones. Consider e.g. Spain
or Portugal (the latter is offset one timezone from MET, the former
isn't but de facto it is concerning eating times). I guess noon or 7pm
will be too early for lunch or dinner in Sicily, while they won't in
northern Italy. EARLIER than that will be too early even here, but
probably not in Holland or Norway.

Personally when *I* was a kid and we travelled I got quickly adapted to
eat at odd times to maximize sightseeing times (e.g. buying some take
away food and eating on a train) more than placing my legs under a
restaurant's table and wasting one-two hours. Surely more adaptable than
my father was !

Said that, I'm surprised to hear of (generalized) high prices in Sicily
although I won't be surprised to hear of high prices in northern or
central Italy. Specially for places which advertise as "restaurants" and
for the evening meal. In big cities there are places like "tavola calda"
or "self service" ... follow the office clerks. Usually you can seat and
have an (usually abundant) "piatto unico" (single dish) hot lunch. Could
be pasta (with some meat or fish sauce) or some combo of meat and
vegetables or fish and vegetables. Prices used to be reasonable in
Sicily (more than in Milan). At least in Palermo I knew a couple of such
places near Quattro Canti di Campagna (the "country" ones not the "city"
ones, i.e. near Teatro Massimo).

Also bars there often have an extremely good selection of pastries. In
Palermo there was a bar advertising "sicilian and swiss pastry" ... you
know the saying "Hell is Palermo without pastry shops (D.Maraini The
Long Life of Marianna Ucria)". Concerning "cannoli" one has to be
careful, according to the locals. The true filling should be made with
ricotta (sort of cottage cheese), and therefore one should eat cannoli
only in the fresh season, and possibly ask to have them filled at the
moment.
Old February 25th, 2013, 01:06 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim.....

"Giovanni Drogo" wrote in message
news:alpine.LSU.2.00.1302251021190.21025@cbfrvqba. ynzoengr.vans.vg...
On Fri, 22 Feb 2013, Alfred Molon wrote:

The other point is that local eating times are quite different
from those in Northern Italy (and surely from those you are
accustomed to). Difficult to find a snack-place at noon for lunch
(more likely around 14), or a restaurant before 20 in the evening
(more likely 21).

Usually we do not eat so late (i.e. after 8-9pm). We have small kids who
need to eat early in order to go sleeping early.

But surely if you would travel to a place in another timezone, you would
shift your eating times and adapt to the local ones.

Not unless opening hours of "attractions' are similarly shifted.

If, like me, you wish to visit a number of attractions before they close at
5pm each day you need to be knocking on the door of the first as soon as it
opens.

And if you are used to, for example eating a 7pm, going to bed at 11pm, to
get up at 7:30am that works for a 9am start time.

So you can't change to eating at 9pm going to bed at 1am to get up at 9:30am
unless opening hours of attractions are shifted to 11am-7pm, which (mostly),
they aren't!

tim

Old February 26th, 2013, 12:08 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Alfred Molon[_6_]

In article , Martin Theodor Ludwig
says...
Could the difficulties to find (affordable) restaurants have been an
effect of the season during Christmas and New Year, when "things" are
not operating normally?

That could indeed have played a role. We were there over Xmas and New
year and there was a dearth of affordable places. Perhaps in summer,
during the tourist season, more places are open.
--

Alfred Molon