A Travel and vacations forum. TravelBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » TravelBanter forum » Travelling Style » Air travel
Site Map Home Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Trip Report - USA 3000 Airlines (EWR--PIE)

Old February 22nd, 2006, 02:40 PM posted to rec.travel.air
external usenet poster

Default Trip Report - USA 3000 Airlines (EWR--PIE)

My first experience with "discount" airlines in quite some time (Last time was with "People's Distress" many
years ago.). I've taken 2 round trips in the past month or so with them to St. Petersburg/Clearwater Intl.
from EWR.

Well, for what it cost, it was OK, but it was surely a lesson in how air travel has just degraded over time
and economic pressure. The configuration of the A320's is 3x3 with very little seat pitch. But for a 2+ hour
flight, I could deal with it. Boarding policies are inconsistent. Sometimes, after pre-boards of families
with infants / small children and those with "special needs," (which is pretty much *everybody* on a flight
to/from St. Petersburg), at EWR they can either start the general boarding from the std. "rear of the
aircraft" or, sometimes, they'll let rows 1-5 and the rear of the aircraft board first. Wish they'd make up
their mind!!!.

One nice thing about boarding at PIE though is that since there are no Jetways (only portable stair ramps),
they can hook up 2 ramps and board both front & rear of the aircraft at once. That is, when general boarding
begins, it's open to all pax. where 16-29 boards on the rear ramp and 1-15 on the front. Thus, those in
the very front rows are not penalized as much, and there's less risk of overhead space loss. I guess the
trick then is to book a seat in the very rear of the aircraft outbound since you can deplane towards the
rear of the aircraft as well as the front without too much time penalty. Only issue being the engine noise if
that bothers you. Of course, baggage takes about 1/2 hr to arrive as it's manually loaded/unloaded an not
in "containers" as with wide body jets. Also, USA 3000 doesn't always get the choice spots for gates and
baggage carousels so that adds to the delay.

Food of course is pretty much non-existent. The "light snack" consists of a small bag of Potato chips
and if you're lucky, a whole can of soda or other soft drink. Of course, Alcohol is available for purchase.
They do provide headsets and audio /video entertainment with individual controls. I never use their headsets
since I always carry my trusty Bose QC-2's to drown out all the baby noises etc.

Overall grade: For the price paid, I'd give it a "B-". The only other option direct to PIE from my area
though (believe it or not) is "Hooters Air" from Allentown (ABE), Pa., although slightly more expensive
than USA 3000.

Arnold