Why do Aer Lingus have such an awful reputation

Old February 13th, 2005, 09:07 PM
Martin WY

Default Why do Aer Lingus have such an awful reputation

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 09:40:02 +0000, Padraig Breathnach
wrote:

Féachadóir Féach@d.óir wrote:

Scríobh Padraig Breathnach :
Féachadóir Féach@d.óir wrote:

Scríobh "wundrun" :

Is Aer Lingus that bad? I'd
be interested to hear people's opinions here. Oh, and what does "Lingus"
mean?

Fleet.

More like "Flete" -- we have a national airline with a Gaelic name
which is misspelled. It should be Aer Loingeas.

It's not misspelled, its anglicised, just as words like Dublin, Cork,
Limerick and Galway are...

Not so. To be anglicised, an expression needs first to exist in
another language. From its inception, the airline was given the name
"Air Lingus" in both Gaelic and English.

When I issued tickets at check in for Aer Lingus, the name on the
ticket was Aer Lingus Teoranta, the three letter airline code being
ALT, flight code EI.
There was in those days a sister company too, operating
Dublin-Shannon-New York, which was Aer Linte Eireann or
AET flight code IN. All domestic passengers were EI for Dublin to
Shannon and then IN from Shannon to New York Idlewild.
Old February 22nd, 2005, 02:50 PM
Tony Cooper

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 14:03:52 +0000, Padraig Breathnach
wrote:

Tony Cooper wrote:

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 12:29:51 +0000, Padraig Breathnach
wrote:

Féachadóir Féach@d.óir wrote:

Scríobh Padraig Breathnach :
In Gaelic, the word "Breathnach" means "Brythonic". This is not the
same as "British" in the modern sense. It is narrower in application,
referring to Celtic people.

I beg to differ. Breatnach in modern Irish means either Welsh, or
British (as in 'from the island of Britain') depending on the context.

Differ away to your heart's content. I don't mind.

You can change neighborhoods, but the arguments stay the same. Now be
a good fellow and let Ger tell you what your name is. It's far
simpler, you know.

My name is about the only thing about me about which I feel no need or
desire for privacy. I have, and use, only one name.

You're mentioned from time to time in the old neighborhood.
Favorably, even.

Not by everybody, I am sure.

You would be wrong. Even the obvious exception has been blessedly
quiet. You are still in the pre-canonization but not yet clay-footed
category.

I'm not really in s.c.i. I'm reading and posting in r.t.e.

Headers trimmed in order not to confuse the readers of the other
groups with your ethereal presence. Since I don't read r.t.e., this
tenuous connection is here-by severed. Your privacy is restored.

--
Tony Cooper
Old March 9th, 2005, 03:42 PM
Padraig Breathnach

nitram wrote:

On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 13:13:34 +1100, Alan S wrote:

On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 23:55:44 +0000, Padraig Breathnach
wrote:

|Book your holidays with Aeroflot?
|
|Their safety record has improved over the years.

One of those cases where it was impossible not to.

The less planes still in one piece, the less available to crash?

Air planes countable?

--
PB
The return address has been MUNGED
Old March 24th, 2005, 01:11 PM
James Silverton

Nosmo King wrote:
"westprog" wrote in message
news
Aer Lingus means "air fleet"

I wonder how many other national airlines are just called Air
Line. A
lot of
them are named British Airways or Air France or something
similar.

Try Lufthansa, the original spelling of the company's long
name was
Deutsche Luft Hansa Aktiengesellschaft. The name Lufthansa
derives
from Luft (the German word for "air") and Hansa (the Hanseatic
trade
organization that ruled large parts of Northern Europe during
the
medieval times). A very loose translation into English might
mean
something like "Air Trading Company" or, in modern parlance,
"Air
Line".

Then there is KLM. They are a bit up market as it means
something
like Royal Airline (Koninklijke Luchtvaart Maatschappij,
literally
Royal Aviation Company)

Aeroflot means just "air line" doesn't it? Incidentally, how is
it's reputation these days?

--
James V. Silverton
Potomac, Maryland, USA