I recently had the worst moules-frites in the world...

Old June 10th, 2012, 12:02 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.food+drink.misc
graham

Default I recently had the worst moules-frites in the world...

"Ken Blake" wrote in message
On Sat, 9 Jun 2012 15:53:07 -0600, "graham" wrote:

I gather you do not care for mussels? I've eaten and enjoyed them in
Belgium, but never fried.

That sentence suggests that you think that moules-frites means fried
mussels.

Regardless of what she thinks, that's what *I* thought. So I thank you
for pointing out that I was wrong.

I would still prefer them without the frites but with a pile of good bread
such as Pain Poilâne.
http://www.poilane.com/index.php?
Graham

Old June 10th, 2012, 09:56 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.food+drink.misc
David Horne[_2_]

On 2012-06-09 23:54:21 +0100, Ken Blake said:

On Sat, 9 Jun 2012 15:53:07 -0600, "graham" wrote:

I gather you do not care for mussels? I've eaten and enjoyed them in
Belgium, but never fried.

That sentence suggests that you think that moules-frites means fried
mussels.

Regardless of what she thinks, that's what *I* thought. So I thank you
for pointing out that I was wrong.

That would probably be moules sautés. ;-) The contraction of
moules-frites, steak-frites just leaves out the 'and'. It's so
commonly used in France that it's almost grammatically correct!
Apparently there's a place in Paris - I forget the name - which does
nothing but steak-frites. The only choice you get is how you want the
steak done!

We have one in Manchester, I haven't been yet.

http://www.relaisdevenise.com/manchester/

However, they do offer a vegetarian option...

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
www.davidhorne.net (email address on website)
Old June 10th, 2012, 10:35 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.food+drink.misc

In uk.food+drink.misc David Horne wrote:
That would probably be moules saut?s. ;-) The contraction of
moules-frites, steak-frites just leaves out the 'and'. It's so
commonly used in France that it's almost grammatically correct!
Apparently there's a place in Paris - I forget the name - which does
nothing but steak-frites. The only choice you get is how you want the
steak done!

We have one in Manchester, I haven't been yet.

http://www.relaisdevenise.com/manchester/

However, they do offer a vegetarian option...

.... is it 'frites'?
Old June 10th, 2012, 12:26 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.food+drink.misc
S Viemeister[_2_]

On 6/10/2012 4:56 AM, David Horne wrote:
wrote:

That would probably be moules sautés. ;-) The contraction of
moules-frites, steak-frites just leaves out the 'and'. It's so
commonly used in France that it's almost grammatically correct!
Apparently there's a place in Paris - I forget the name - which does
nothing but steak-frites. The only choice you get is how you want the
steak done!

We have one in Manchester, I haven't been yet.

http://www.relaisdevenise.com/manchester/

However, they do offer a vegetarian option...

Hmm. Vegetarian steak...
Old June 10th, 2012, 12:38 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.food+drink.misc
David Horne[_2_]

wrote:

That would probably be moules sautés. ;-) The contraction of
moules-frites, steak-frites just leaves out the 'and'. It's so
commonly used in France that it's almost grammatically correct!
Apparently there's a place in Paris - I forget the name - which does
nothing but steak-frites. The only choice you get is how you want the
steak done!

We have one in Manchester, I haven't been yet.

http://www.relaisdevenise.com/manchester/

However, they do offer a vegetarian option...

Hmm. Vegetarian steak...

No, thankfully not. They offer a cheese board with chips. Sounds like
mixing dessert with mains to me, but heigh-ho... I would have thought
something with grilled mushroom/aubergine/cheese would be more
imaginative (and go better with chips) but it probably wouldn't be any
more authentic.

David

Old June 10th, 2012, 01:02 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jack Campin

A lot of good seadfood survives very well when frozen. I bet most
people dining in Mediterranean resorts enjoy their 'fresh' fish
and I have to say, depending on the dish, I often find it hard to
tell the difference...

The fish-frying places along the quayside in Istanbul (or perhaps
Miklagard) must have started out using locally caught fish, but now
it's frozen mackerel from Norway.

Old June 10th, 2012, 01:08 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jack Campin

That sentence suggests that you think that moules-frites means
fried mussels.

Which do exist even if that's not what it means.

I assumed that was what was meant as well. I've had fried mussels in
Istanbul (they're a specialty of the Flower Passage area in Beyoglu)
and they were very good.

So how *do* you cook "moules frites" if you don't fry them? And what's
the Belgian for "fried mussels" if that is in fact what you want?

Old June 10th, 2012, 02:23 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne[_2_]

Martin wrote:

On Sun, 10 Jun 2012 13:08:32 +0100, Jack Campin
wrote:

That sentence suggests that you think that moules-frites means
fried mussels.
Which do exist even if that's not what it means.

I assumed that was what was meant as well. I've had fried mussels in
Istanbul (they're a specialty of the Flower Passage area in Beyoglu)
and they were very good.

So how *do* you cook "moules frites" if you don't fry them? And what's
the Belgian for "fried mussels" if that is in fact what you want?

Sacha explained that it is a quick way of saying moules et frites

I didn't intend to confuse anyone- I thought it was a pretty ubiquitous
term- I've seen it on restaurant menus in the UK and US too...

David

Old June 10th, 2012, 02:26 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.food+drink.misc
David Horne[_2_]

On 2012-06-09 23:54:21 +0100, Ken Blake said:

On Sat, 9 Jun 2012 15:53:07 -0600, "graham" wrote:

I gather you do not care for mussels? I've eaten and enjoyed them in
Belgium, but never fried.

That sentence suggests that you think that moules-frites means fried
mussels.

Regardless of what she thinks, that's what *I* thought. So I thank you
for pointing out that I was wrong.

That would probably be moules sautés. ;-) The contraction of
moules-frites, steak-frites just leaves out the 'and'. It's so
commonly used in France that it's almost grammatically correct!
Apparently there's a place in Paris - I forget the name - which does
nothing but steak-frites. The only choice you get is how you want the
steak done!

We have one in Manchester, I haven't been yet.

http://www.relaisdevenise.com/manchester/

However, they do offer a vegetarian option...

That's just the place - lucky you having one there. Let us know what
it's like please!

Will do. It's just down from the new Jamie's Italian, and they're both
on the list to try... problem is they're both close to our favourite
pizza restuarant, and we nearly always go there if we're just walking in
the area!

The only thing that gives me pause is I so rarely order steak in a
restaurant as it's the easiest thing to make at home... don't make chips
though.

David

Old June 10th, 2012, 03:28 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Runge 666[_2_]

2 rubbishes talking about nothing.

"Martin" a écrit dans le message de groupe de
discussion : ...
On Fri, 08 Jun 2012 14:21:48 -0700, "EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)"
wrote:

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

Jack Campin wrote:
I personally would find it too risky to eat mussels in the warm
season, as it can make you seriously ill, if one of them is bad
(botulism).

No risk of botulism, but there is a risk of other food-borne
infections.
One of the nastiest is amnesic shellfish poisoning, which can cause
permanent brain damage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amnesic...fish_poisoning

Clearly there's a REASON for the old adage not to eat mollusks during
months with an "r" in the name!

Uhhh... that should read "WITHOUT", of course!

It's rubbish with or WITHOUT.
--

Martin