Airplane tears off winglet on jet bridge

Old July 8th, 2010, 06:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.travel.air
Mxsmanic

Default Airplane tears off winglet on jet bridge

Original article (in French):

http://www.leparisien.fr/faits-diver...010-992696.php

Excerpts (translated):

Passengers on a flight operated by Turkish low-cost carrier Pegasus were
unable to take off from Orly Wednesday afternoon. One of the wings of the
aircraft struck a jet bridge just before its takeoff for Istanbul, grounding
the aircraft. [...] According to an employe who witnessed the incident, it's
the fault "either of the pilot, or of the airport personnel, who incorrectly
positioned the jet bridge." However, according to Aéroports de Paris,
"responsibility has not yet been determined, but it's clear that it wasn't the
jet bridge that was out of place."

Since this is a Turkish airline, I think we can safely assume that the pilots
messed up. Indeed, if the jet bridge was not incorrectly positioned, there
aren't too many other possibilities.

I'm surprised that passengers were willing to wait for a later flight on the
same carrier, instead of simply switching airlines.

Old July 8th, 2010, 09:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.travel.air
Binyamin Dissen

On Thu, 08 Jul 2010 07:01:14 +0200 Mxsmanic wrote:

[...]

Turkish PM Erdogan and the UN have already blamed Israeli sabotage.

--
Binyamin Dissen
http://www.dissensoftware.com

Old July 9th, 2010, 12:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.travel.air
Mxsmanic

Binyamin Dissen writes:

Turkish PM Erdogan and the UN have already blamed Israeli sabotage.

Short of having a magic mind ray that can reduce a person's IQ by 25 points,
how could the Israelis possibly have sabotaged this, and how would they profit
from sabotage even if the had done it?
Old July 9th, 2010, 12:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.travel.air
Mxsmanic

VOR-DME writes:

Some may be Turkish, and feel theirs are the best pilots. Others may simply
not share your strong cultural and racial prejudices.

Either way, they don't look at the statistics.
Old July 9th, 2010, 12:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.travel.air
Kurt Ullman

In article ,
Mxsmanic wrote:

Binyamin Dissen writes:

Turkish PM Erdogan and the UN have already blamed Israeli sabotage.

Short of having a magic mind ray that can reduce a person's IQ by 25 points,
how could the Israelis possibly have sabotaged this, and how would they profit
from sabotage even if the had done it?

I think this is the Middle Eastern equivalent of anything being either
Bush's or Obama's fault, depending on your outlook, no matter what the
subject.

and name it after the IRS.
Robert Bakker, paleontologist
Old July 9th, 2010, 02:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.travel.air
Grand Mal

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
[...]

I think we can safely assume you're an idiot.
And a vile bigot. Who else would turn a minor accident at an airport into a
racial slur?

Indeed, if the jet bridge was not incorrectly positioned, there
aren't too many other possibilities.

Indeed. And the source of the report absolved itself of blame without an
investigation.

Old July 9th, 2010, 07:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.travel.air
Mxsmanic

Kurt Ullman writes:

I think this is the Middle Eastern equivalent of anything being either
Bush's or Obama's fault, depending on your outlook, no matter what the
subject.

And Turkey wants to be part of the European Union? The country is still living
in the 12th century, in too many respects. Its aviation record is the worst in
Europe, if you generously consider Turkey to be part of Europe (which I
don't).
Old July 9th, 2010, 07:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.travel.air
Mxsmanic

Grand Mal writes:

I think we can safely assume you're an idiot.
And a vile bigot. Who else would turn a minor accident at an airport into a
racial slur?

Turks belong to the same race as Europeans, so race has nothing to do with it.

The fact is, the aviation safety record for Turkey is abysmal, about ten times
worse than average for European airlines (if you consider Turkey part of
Europe--which I do not).