Sad ending for Cruise Pax!!!

Old November 30th, 2004, 06:50 AM
steinbrenner

Default Sad ending for Cruise Pax!!!

Do not try this at home!!

nypost.com

UPPER WEST SIDE MAN DIES IN ELEVATOR TRAGEDY

Mon Nov 29, 3:30 AM ET Local - New York Post

By DAN KADISON, TOM LIDDY and BRIDGET HARRISON

A retired teacher, with less than an hour to catch a Caribbean cruise,
yesterday tried to save time by taking the freight elevator of his
Upper West Side building — then plunged 14 stories to his death when it
stalled and he tried to climb out.

Edward Helig, 76, who lived in a penthouse apartment at 168 W. 86th
St., had ignored warnings and taken the elevator up from the lobby to
pick up his wife, Sally Ordonez, and their luggage because the
passenger elevator was not immediately available.

They were heading down again in the freight elevator when it got stuck
between the 14th and 15th floors. Helig squeezed out, lost his footing
and plummeted down the shaft, cops said.

"The doorman said, 'Don't take it up! Don't take it up!' and he took it
up," a source said.

The tragedy unfolded shortly after 3 p.m. when Helig rode the passenger
elevator to the lobby to hail a taxi to the passenger-ship terminal on
the Hudson River at 50th Street.

The couple was to board a ship departing at 4 p.m. for an 11-day
cruise.

"He said, 'I'm desperately late to catch my boat,' " said a neighbor
who rode the elevator to the lobby with Helig.

The neighbor said Helig raced out to the street, hailed a taxi and told
the driver to wait for him with the trunk open. Then he came back to
get his luggage and his wife.

The passenger elevator was not at the lobby level, and he rushed into
the freight elevator.

"Next thing I heard, the doorman was hysterical," the neighbor said.

Ordonez had to be rescued from the elevator and was in a state of
shock. "She's very distraught. She's really out of it, she cannot talk
to anyone," said her brother-in-law, Pat Cacho.

Neighbors said Helig, who had lived in the building since 1966, was an
impatient man who frequently argued with his landlord about the
elevator.

A building employee said the passenger elevator regularly had problems,
and Helig often took the freight elevator, even though he wasn't
supposed to.

Old November 30th, 2004, 08:08 AM
Brian K

On 11/30/2004 1:50 AM steinbrenner while holding "tha lizard", exclaimed:

[...]

Funny. This didn't make the evening news on any of the major New York TV
stations. Wonder why it was only carried by the NY Post and no other NYC
print media, like for instance The NY Times.

--
________
To email me, Edit "xt" from my email address.

Old November 30th, 2004, 09:59 AM
Monica

I did a Google News search and found the following story:
http://tinyurl.com/45wkp

Old November 30th, 2004, 10:31 AM
anon

Monica wrote:
I did a Google News search and found the following story:
http://tinyurl.com/45wkp

Were they really leaving at 3:15 to catch a cruise with a 4pm departure?
Old November 30th, 2004, 11:47 AM
Diva

I'm still trying to figure out how a retired teacher manages to get
the money to live in a penthouse in Manhattan.

June

"anon" wrote in message
om...

Old November 30th, 2004, 11:48 AM
steinbrenner

Brian K wrote:

Funny. This didn't make the evening news on any of the major New York
TV stations. Wonder why it was only carried by the NY Post and no
other NYC print media, like for instance The NY Times.

Yeah, the Times never made up a story or two.