American Airlines voucher

Old September 10th, 2003, 11:22 PM

Default American Airlines voucher

Has anyone used an American Airlines flight voucher? I got one last spring when
I as bumped on a flight. I was wondering how I use it. Do I have to call and
make reservations, or can I do it online? And can I use it on one of cheap
flight finder websites?
Thanks!

Old September 11th, 2003, 02:40 PM
TMOliver

vented spleen or mostly mumbled...

Has anyone used an American Airlines flight voucher? I got one last
spring when I as bumped on a flight. I was wondering how I use it. Do
I have to call and make reservations, or can I do it online? And can I
use it on one of cheap flight finder websites?
Thanks!

All of the transaction must be done direct with AA (although some TAs used
to be willing to handle them, but now, who knows?).

Easiest....Make a reservation online or by phone. Go to nearest airport
served by AA or American Eaglet which will complete transaction, issue
Eticket. If you happen to live near a AA Ticket office", a shrinking asset
these days, go there. I've used them for "immdediate family", spouse,
chirren', but am not sure how AA would react to you buying a ticket for an
unrelated...

Apparently (or so I've been told), it's also possible to make a reservation
by phone and to mail the voucher to an address provided by AA for such
transactions, mailed to you after voucher received. I've also redeemed
vouchers for tickets of lesser value, receiving another voucher for the
difference.

A cute deal....because you're not using "money", the ticket you receive
will cost less than it would have, since the tax is figured based on the
actual dollar transaction. Sometimes it an amazing 30-40 bucks of sort of
found money...

Their used to be and may still be some times and routes which gathered
vouchers like flies (especially on American Eagle). I can remember once
being called at home a couple of hours before a flight. The local station
agent wanted to know if I wanted to "voluntewr".

TMO
Old September 15th, 2003, 05:35 AM
LVTravel

Find the best price available on either AAs web site or one of the other
sites such as Travelocity. Once you have the itinerary you want, call the
AA 800 reservation number. Tell them the type of voucher you have and the
itinerary you want. If they quote a price much over the price you found on
the WEB tell them the WEB price. (You might not get the WEB price as these
may be "special" pricing.) Once the agent gives you the confirmation
number/code you normally have 24 hours to appear at a AA ticket counter
(check with the booking agent the exact time frame) to turn in the voucher
and claim your "tickets". Use 'em all the time when I can get them.