Wood Stave Churches

Old February 9th, 2005, 03:53 AM

Default Wood Stave Churches

Other than Fantoft in Bergen and the Church in the Oslo folk museum are
there any other wood stave churches that are accessible without a car?
Is it worth the effort?

Thanks
Steve Gerdemann

Old February 9th, 2005, 04:26 AM
Frank Clarke

On 8 Feb 2005 19:53:18 -0800, wrote:
. com

Other than Fantoft in Bergen and the Church in the Oslo folk museum are
there any other wood stave churches that are accessible without a car?
Is it worth the effort?

Hoppestad in Vik (
http://web.tampabay.rr.com/mvsrexx/2003SK/DSC00167.html) can
be reached by ferry out of Bergen plus a short walk. Ditto Undredal's 1147
stave church (http://web.tampabay.rr.com/mvsrexx/2003SK/DSC00190.html). At Vik
you can find overnight lodging if necessary; I don't think you'll find much of
that in Undredal, though.

(change Arabic number to Roman numeral to email)
Old February 9th, 2005, 07:39 AM
Wolf

There's one at the folk museum in Lillehammer as well.
Trains go to Lillehammer.

Wolf

Old February 9th, 2005, 10:54 AM
Frank F. Matthews

Frank Clarke wrote:

On 8 Feb 2005 19:53:18 -0800, wrote:
. com

Other than Fantoft in Bergen and the Church in the Oslo folk museum are
there any other wood stave churches that are accessible without a car?
Is it worth the effort?

Hoppestad in Vik (
http://web.tampabay.rr.com/mvsrexx/2003SK/DSC00167.html) can
be reached by ferry out of Bergen plus a short walk. Ditto Undredal's 1147
stave church (http://web.tampabay.rr.com/mvsrexx/2003SK/DSC00190.html). At Vik
you can find overnight lodging if necessary; I don't think you'll find much of
that in Undredal, though.

(change Arabic number to Roman numeral to email)

Thanks Frank. I was trying to place the church just outside Vic in my
memories from long ago since it is a short walk from town. We visited
it one September while waiting between transit. From ferry to bus as I
remember. We had to find the nearby custodian but the church was very
nice. I'm glad it isn't one of the ones that has burned.

Old February 9th, 2005, 11:03 AM
chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn

Frank F. Matthews wrote:

[]
Thanks Frank. I was trying to place the church just outside Vic in my
memories from long ago since it is a short walk from town. We visited
it one September while waiting between transit. From ferry to bus as I
remember. We had to find the nearby custodian but the church was very
nice. I'm glad it isn't one of the ones that has burned.

I think I'm correct in saying that only one Stave Church was burned
(Fantoft), right? IIRC there was another church that was burned but not
a Stave Church.

--
David Horne- www.davidhorne.net
Old February 9th, 2005, 06:31 PM
Jack Campin - bogus address

Other than Fantoft in Bergen and the Church in the Oslo folk museum are
there any other wood stave churches that are accessible without a car?
Is it worth the effort?

There is something like that near Epping in Essex (north of London).
I think it's doable without a car. Somebody from near there will
know what I'm talking about.

Old February 10th, 2005, 12:29 AM

Jack Campin - bogus address wrote:

Other than Fantoft in Bergen and the Church in the Oslo folk museum are
there any other wood stave churches that are accessible without a car?
Is it worth the effort?

There is something like that near Epping in Essex (north of London).
I think it's doable without a car. Somebody from near there will
know what I'm talking about.

I'm not from there, but it's quite well known- St. Andrews (Greensted?)-
it's the world's oldest wooden church I think, though some parts are
older than others.

--
David Horne- www.davidhorne.net