Galway by bus, train, or plane

Old June 9th, 2005, 06:24 PM

Default Galway by bus, train, or plane

Arriving Dublin on a Saturday and need to get to Leenan that
evening. My original thought was to take a train to
Galway and a bus to Leenan. However, I'm having a bit
of trouble figuring out a few connections and am wondering
if maybe I need to rethink the whole thing.

My memory says that the train station is in Dublin,
not out near the airport. So I'm envisioning having
to go from the airport, to the train station, to Galway.
Then, I can't quite identify if I'm gonna have to
go from the Galway train station to a bus station to
catch the bus to Leenan. Finally of course I'm potentially
looking at having then to get from where ever the bus
drops me off in Leenan. Mind you this trip effectively
starts the day before in the states about noon when
I leave my home so I'll be doing much of this on
little sleep and a bit of jet lag. And a late train
or other missed connection could have me arriving
quite late in Leenan.

Sooooooo......

It occurs to me that I could fly from Dublin to
Galway and possibly arrange for a car hire to take
me from the Galway airport to my B&B instead. I realize
this will be notibly more expensive but rock bottom
price isn't my first priority. It's suppose to be
my vacation, not some personal version of the "Great
Race".

Am I over thinking this? Is the connection from
the airport to the Dublin train station a bit straight
forward? Is the Galway bus station and train station
basically the same place?

Old June 9th, 2005, 07:00 PM
Padraig Breathnach

" wrote:

Arriving Dublin on a Saturday and need to get to Leenan that
evening. My original thought was to take a train to
Galway and a bus to Leenan. However, I'm having a bit
of trouble figuring out a few connections and am wondering
if maybe I need to rethink the whole thing.

My memory says that the train station is in Dublin,
not out near the airport. So I'm envisioning having
to go from the airport, to the train station, to Galway.

Your memory is sound. An alternative:
http://www.galway.net/pages/nestorbus/index.shtml . Probably quicker
than bus/train combination.

The Bus Eireann site
http://www.buseireann.ie/site/your_journey/Maps.asp
should help you on Galway to Leenane (note spelling) services. The
"Journey Planner" does not always work properly; it failed for me on
Galway-Leenane service. But use the "Search Connection" button, and
you'll get there.

Then, I can't quite identify if I'm gonna have to
go from the Galway train station to a bus station to
catch the bus to Leenan.

Bus Eireann services originate at or stop at the railway station.

Finally of course I'm potentially
looking at having then to get from where ever the bus
drops me off in Leenan.

If you have an address, ask the bus driver how to get there. Most
drivers are very helpful.

Mind you this trip effectively
starts the day before in the states about noon when
I leave my home so I'll be doing much of this on
little sleep and a bit of jet lag. And a late train
or other missed connection could have me arriving
quite late in Leenan.

Sooooooo......

It occurs to me that I could fly from Dublin to
Galway and possibly arrange for a car hire to take
me from the Galway airport to my B&B instead. I realize
this will be notibly more expensive but rock bottom
price isn't my first priority. It's suppose to be
my vacation, not some personal version of the "Great
Race".

If you mean a taxi, it would cost a fortune; if you mean hiring a car,
remember that you expect to be jet-lagged.

Am I over thinking this?

No. Get the thinking done beforehand. It's called planning. When you
arrive, you'll know what you want to do.

Is the connection from
the airport to the Dublin train station a bit straight
forward?

Yes.

--
PB
The return address has been MUNGED
Old July 5th, 2005, 09:53 AM
B Vaughan

On 9 Jun 2005 10:24:32 -0700, "
wrote:

Arriving Dublin on a Saturday and need to get to Leenan that
evening. My original thought was to take a train to
Galway and a bus to Leenan. However, I'm having a bit
of trouble figuring out a few connections and am wondering
if maybe I need to rethink the whole thing.

My memory says that the train station is in Dublin,
not out near the airport. So I'm envisioning having
to go from the airport, to the train station, to Galway.
Then, I can't quite identify if I'm gonna have to
go from the Galway train station to a bus station to
catch the bus to Leenan. Finally of course I'm potentially
looking at having then to get from where ever the bus
drops me off in Leenan.

There is good reliable and inexpensive bus service between Galway and
Dublin by both Bus Eireann and Citylink. Some of the Citylink busses
leave from Dublin airport rather than central Dublin.
--
Barbara Vaughan
My email address is my first initial followed by my surname at libero dot it