Beautiful Nature - free

Old October 5th, 2007, 06:32 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
blacklight

Default Beautiful Nature - free

Great video clips and photos of Australian nature and wilderness
ecards. And lots of quotations to send with them. All FREE for
personal use. Nothing to sell, no ads, no fishing for addresses.
Please drop in. Browse and have fun.
Thankyou!

Old October 5th, 2007, 09:09 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
blacklight

Apologies for the oversight.
The URL is: www.rent-a-cloud.com
Greetings - Klaus

Old October 5th, 2007, 09:32 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
kangaroo16

On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 22:32:45 -0700, blacklight
wrote in
om :

Great video clips and photos of Australian nature and wilderness
ecards. And lots of quotations to send with them. All FREE for
personal use. Nothing to sell, no ads, no fishing for addresses.
Please drop in. Browse and have fun.
Thankyou!

Perhaps I have spent enough time on Usenet to be a more than bit
suspicious of "free" offers, especially when this aspect seems
over- emphasized.

Then too, when call up your full header, I see the following:

=================
From: blacklight
Newsgroups: rec.travel.australia+nz
Subject: Beautiful Nature - free
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2007 22:32:45 -0700
---------

Great video clips and photos of Australian nature and wilderness
ecards. And lots of quotations to send with them. All FREE for
personal use. Nothing to sell, no ads, no fishing for addresses.
Please drop in. Browse and have fun.
Thankyou!
============================

Just what does

mean or imply?

Or for that matter:

So, really, personally, "thanks but no thanks". :-)

If others on this group try, though, would like to hear of their
experiences.

.... Then again, perhaps I have seen all too many "free" offers
in my life which have turned out to have some, or many, "strings
attached". :-)

Cheers,
kangaroo16

Old October 5th, 2007, 07:05 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Frank Slootweg

kangaroo16 wrote:
[...]

Just what does

mean or imply?

That you don't have as much Usenet experience as you want to make us
believe? :-)

That *whole* header (Remember what I said about more/better reading?)
is:

50g2000hsm.googlegroups.com is the Google Groups server the user was
connected to. hsm.googlegroups.com also appears in the Path: and
Message-ID:, so nothing to worry about. 121.79.64.90 is his IP address
and matches the NNTP-Posting-Host: header, so again nothing to worry
around. Guess what "posting-account=..." means?

Or for that matter:

That you're not the only one using a nym? That your copy-and-paste
function isn't working? :-)

[...]
Old October 6th, 2007, 01:17 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
kangaroo16

On 05 Oct 2007 18:05:41 GMT, Frank Slootweg
wrote in
:

kangaroo16 wrote:
[...]

Just what does

mean or imply?

That you don't have as much Usenet experience as you want to make us
believe? :-)

I will still claim over ten years on the net. I don't really
care if you or others believe me or not.

I usually have my "show all headers" function switched off, &
usually don't read them. Yours is the first one I've read that
uses a Google account.

That *whole* header (Remember what I said about more/better reading?)
is:

50g2000hsm.googlegroups.com is the Google Groups server the user was
connected to. hsm.googlegroups.com also appears in the Path: and
Message-ID:, so nothing to worry about. 121.79.64.90 is his IP address
and matches the NNTP-Posting-Host: header, so again nothing to worry
around. Guess what "posting-account=..." means?

Nothing to worry "about" or nothing to worry "around" :-) Or
aren't you in the habit of proofreading posts? I must admit that
I don't always bother, I usually just spellcheck them.

Or for that matter:

That you're not the only one using a nym?

Many people do so. At least those who are
realists (e.g. pessimists).

That your copy-and-paste
function isn't working? :-)

Working fine as far as I know. I regularly use it
for giving Usenet quotes and references.

Cheers,
Kangaroo16

[...]

Old October 6th, 2007, 10:21 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
kangaroo16

On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 01:56:55 -0500,
.. wrote in
:

On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 00:17:35 GMT, kangaroo16
wrote:
[msge snipped]

On 05 Oct 2007 18:05:41 GMT, Frank Slootweg
wrote in
:

kangaroo16 wrote:
[...]

Just what does

mean or imply?

That you don't have as much Usenet experience as you want to make us
believe? :-)

I will still claim over ten years on the net. I don't really
care if you or others believe me or not.

The "net" is not "Usenet".

I didn't say it was. Net is short for internet. See:

--------
Noun: net

1. A computer network consisting of a worldwide network of
computer networks that use the TCP/IP network protocols to
facilitate data transmission and exchange
- internet, cyberspace
Noun: Usenet

1. A system of newsgroups on the Internet

Encyclopedia: Usenet

Perhaps you have gotten the internet and Usenet confused?

No, but thank you for your concern ;-)

I usually have my "show all headers" function switched off, &
usually don't read them. Yours is the first one I've read that
uses a Google account.

To the best of my knowledge, Frank has never posted via Google.
Correct me if I am wrong Frank!

That your copy-and-paste
function isn't working? :-)

Working fine as far as I know. I regularly use it
for giving Usenet quotes and references.

If you are using Free Agent, you shouldn't need to paste and copy as
it will automatically do it for you irrespective of whether you have
the free version or the paid copy.

Have used Forte Agent for about 10 years as well. Recently
switched to Forte Agent 4.2/32.1118. Had you looked at my full
header, I wouldn't have to tell you this.

Just which "automatic feature" of Forte Agent are you referring
to? If there is a way to declare the current post as an
automatic paste zone, am unaware of it. Perhaps you could
enlighten me?

I don't claim to know everything there is to know. Am certain
that we could learn a lot from each other. :-)

FYI: if you have been around Usenet for as long as you claim

Have been around both the internet and usenet. I don't "claim"
it, I simply state the truth. However, it makes no difference to
me if you believe me or not.

As a matter of interest, though, do you think that implying that
another poster of lying is the "courteous" behavior that others
on the group seem to value? For example, see
, then you would know:

You don't know me, and unless you have phenomenal psychic powers
you would have no idea what I do or don't know.:-)

a] it is not an practice to reply to spammersl

If remember my English grammar, "a practice" would generally be
used in this context, not "an practice".:-)

In any case, though, it is a pretty vague statement. It might be
better to say something like "It is not my practice to reply to
spammers." or "In my opinion, most people do not reply to
spammers." Even then, someone might challenge you to prove
that "most" unless you can quote a reliable survey.

Perhaps you never reply to spammers, but do realise that other
Usenet users sometimes do. Especially if the spam is in the form
of a usenet ad.

b] since Google took over deja, the increase in spamming has
increased tremendously.

Cath

I haven't noticed any great increase on Usenet. It certainly has
on E-mail, which is one reason I use a nym and don't provide a
valid E-mail address to most people or groups. I also routinely
delete all attachments without opening them, unless am expecting
one.

I dislike all unsolicited advertising in any form. If I want to
purchase something, I know where to get it or how to search
for information.

A few months back the Aussie Gov't implemented "Do Not Call"
register. Unfortunately, it has far too many exemptions. See:
http://www.acma.gov.au/WEB/STANDARD/...0/pc=PC_100642

Of course, there are other ways to discourage unwanted phone
calls. Have seen a list of suggestions somewhere. Some are
pretty rude, though, and almost guaranteed to reduce the caller
to tears, or even inspire them to quit and go into a more
productive line of work.

I'm normally a reasonably polite bloke, but I see absolutely no
reason to be remotely polite to unwanted phone sales people.

Others are more simple. One involves a loud noisemaker over the
handset microphone at proper audio frequencies for the
telephone network using an objectionable waveform.

Another is to simply answering the phone and speaking in
pure gibberish, but sounding eager. The caller soon gets
frustrated and hangs up on you. With luck, they will even remove
your number from their call list.

Now, if only all countries would ban all spam e-mails, this would
be ideal. Don't hold your breath waiting for it to happen,
though.:-)

At least this is the advice I would give most readers. In your
case, perhaps I would be willing to make an exception.:-)

Cheers,
Kangaroo16

Old October 6th, 2007, 07:08 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Frank Slootweg

kangaroo16 wrote:
On 05 Oct 2007 18:05:41 GMT, Frank Slootweg
wrote in
:

kangaroo16 wrote:
[...]

Just what does

mean or imply?

That you don't have as much Usenet experience as you want to make us
believe? :-)

I will still claim over ten years on the net.

So you're a newbie! :-)

I don't really care if you or others believe me or not.

I usually have my "show all headers" function switched off, &
usually don't read them. Yours is the first one I've read that
uses a Google account.

I don't get mad easily, but please don't say/imply that I use Google
for posting! :-)

[...]

Or for that matter:

That you're not the only one using a nym?

Many people do so.

I don't.

At least those who are realists (e.g. pessimists).

Well, when you look up "pessimist" in an encyclopedia, you will see my
picture, so I beg to differ! :-)

That your copy-and-paste function isn't working? :-)

Working fine as far as I know. I regularly use it
for giving Usenet quotes and references.

It was just a little stab. Too many spaces between "From:" and
"blacklight" and no space between "blacklight" and "", so apparently
you didn't copy-and-paste it or did and mangled it later.
Old October 6th, 2007, 11:20 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
kangaroo16

On 06 Oct 2007 18:08:51 GMT, Frank Slootweg
wrote in
:

kangaroo16 wrote:
On 05 Oct 2007 18:05:41 GMT, Frank Slootweg
wrote in
:

[...]

kangaroo16 wrote:
On 05 Oct 2007 18:05:41 GMT, Frank Slootweg
wrote in
:

kangaroo16 wrote:
[...]

Just what does

mean or imply?

That you don't have as much Usenet experience as you want to make us
believe? :-)

Wasn't it obvious to you that this was used in the reply to the
post from "Blacklight"? See my reply to him:

Also see my reply to "Texan"
I will still claim over ten years on the net.

So you're a newbie! :-)

Depends on what you consider a "newbie", I suppose.
If you consider anyone who has been on the net
for 10 years as a "newbie" so be it.:-

Passing thought: If I wanted to lie on the net, I
would gain more by pretending to be a "newbie".:-)

I don't really care if you or others believe me or not.

I usually have my "show all headers" function switched off, &
usually don't read them. Yours is the first one I've read that
uses a Google account.

I don't get mad easily, but please don't say/imply that I use Google for posting! :-)

Minor error. That was in my post to "Blacklight". All of this
would be obvious to you, and others, if you didn't snip posts.
[...]

Or for that matter:

That you're not the only one using a nym?

Many people do so.

I don't.

Your choice, of course. Many do, for security reasons.
If this is not obvious to you, I suggest you see:

MPs call for identity fraud tsar

You may want to check out the links under this
article as well.

At least those who are realists (e.g. pessimists).

Well, when you look up "pessimist" in an encyclopedia, you will see my
picture, so I beg to differ! :-)

Well, I have a few encyclopedias, and I need not look to check
if your picture is there. :-)

Incidentally, not interested into getting into an arguement over
which one of us is more pessimistic than the other.:-)

For an opinion on optimism/pessimism see

-----------------
Bad news on optimism

OPINION: Susan Maushart | September 29, 2007

Quote:
"As the Krispy Kreme theory of human personality suggests,
pessimists make us nervous – for the same reasons and in the same
way that small children and flash photography do. Because they
are pitiless truth-tellers." [more at]

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...-17063,00.html

Want a good example of what can happen to "optimists" culled
from current news? See:

24 songs cost single mother $250,000

Correspondents in Chicago | October 06, 2007

IN the first US trial to challenge the illegal downloading of
music on the internet, a single mother from Minnesota has been
ordered to pay $US220,000 ($248,040) for sharing 24 songs online.
[more at]
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...5-2703,00.html

That your copy-and-paste function isn't working? :-)

Working fine as far as I know. I regularly use it
for giving Usenet quotes and references.
It was just a little stab. Too many spaces between "From:" and
"blacklight" and no space between "blacklight" and "", so apparently
you didn't copy-and-paste it or did and mangled it later.

You worry about such trivia? You wouldn't be
obsessive/compulsive by any chance? If so, you might
want to consider using this tagline.:-)
I have CDO. It's like Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, only in
alphabetical order like it should be.

Incidentially,ifyouaresoobsessedwithsavingspaceinp ostswhydon'tyoueliminatespacesbetweenwords?
Sureitmakesitabithardertoreadthem,butsodoesyourhab itofsnippingposts....

Cheers,
Kangaroo16

kangaroo16 wrote:
On 05 Oct 2007 18:05:41 GMT, Frank Slootweg
wrote in
:

[...]

Old October 7th, 2007, 12:51 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Alan S[_1_]

On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 22:20:58 GMT, kangaroo16
wrote:

I have CDO. It's like Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, only in
alphabetical order like it should be.

Why am I not surprised?

Sorry to hear that. Possibly you could start becoming
obsessive over brevity?

Cheers, Alan, Australia
--
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com/
latest: Slovenia
Old October 7th, 2007, 02:15 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
kangaroo16

wrote:

I have CDO. It's like Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, only in
alphabetical order like it should be.

Why am I not surprised?

Careless reading, Alan? Or trying to imply I wrote something I
didn't. :-)

What I wrote was:

You worry about such trivia? You wouldn't be
obsessive/compulsive by any chance? If so, you might
want to consider using this tagline.:-)
I have CDO. It's like Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, only in
alphabetical order like it should be.
Don't believe me? Check:
If you could see my computer room, you could easily ascertain
that I am definitely not the obsessive/compulsive type, although
am sure that my wishes I leaned a bit more this way! Or a lot
more, actually! :-)

Sorry to hear that. Possibly you could start becoming
obsessive over brevity?

One of the last things I would consider, actually. You may have
noticed that many posts on this group are actually too short,
especially when someone is requesting information and
doesn't provide enough details.

Have you considered that you may be using the unconscious
psychological defense mechanism of projection? See under
http://www.rpi.edu/~verwyc/defmech.htm

This will explain the other mechanisms as well, and in
especially selected easy-to-read type.:-)

If need something to amuse you, check following opinion columns
in the Weekend Australian.

For girls stuck in pimply purgatory
Emma Tom | October 04, 2007
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...-23375,00.html

And, of course, Susan Maushart, another Yank
migrant to Oz.

Do a load for feminism
OPINION: Susan Maushart | October 06, 2007
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...-17063,00.html

Seriously, Alan, why do you seem to worry so much about saving
space? It isn't as if we communicating by telex at 40 baud!:-)

Or, like so many other computer users, a two-fingered typist? It
always amazes me why more people don't learn touch-typing. It is
much easier, and saves a lot of time.

If anyone wants to learn, I personally recommend a program called
"Typequick".
http://www.typequick.com.au/

Or you could take a typing course at your nearest TAFE.

I haven't checked my speed lately, probably if copying text from
a book, around 50 to 55 WPM.

Once learn to touch type, such copying is strictly in the eyes
and out the fingers, while you are listening to music or thinking
about something else.

It could be compared to learning to ride a bicycle or drive a
car. Once you have learned it, you don't have to concentrate on
it.

I hope this little hint might be useful to you and others!

Cheers, Alan, Australia

Cheers