London/Southend-on-sea with Family

Old February 22nd, 2008, 08:07 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

Default London/Southend-on-sea with Family

My husband and I will be traveling to London and to Southend-on-Sea
for a about 4 days each the first week of June 2008. We'll be staying
in a guesthouse near the pier in Southend and have rented a flat in
the Covent Garden area for our London time. Our 11 year old daughter
will be with us and we're looking for suggestions beyond the "big
name" things to see and do in either place. It will be our first time
in either location. Thanks!
Old February 22nd, 2008, 09:34 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim \(not at home\)

wrote in message
My husband and I will be traveling to London and to Southend-on-Sea
for a about 4 days each the first week of June 2008. We'll be staying
in a guesthouse near the pier in Southend and have rented a flat in
the Covent Garden area for our London time. Our 11 year old daughter
will be with us and we're looking for suggestions beyond the "big
name" things to see and do in either place. It will be our first time
in either location. Thanks!

Burnham on Crouch is a really nice place to go.

But if you've booked a few days in Southend, you will probably hate it
(Burnham that is)

tim

Old February 23rd, 2008, 05:57 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Wiener Sänger

On Feb 23, 1:07*am, wrote:
a flat in
the Covent Garden area for our London time.
It will be our first time in either location. Thanks!

For London, the best website to see "what's on" is www.londontown.com
and the official Tourist Office www.visitbritain.com.

Southend-on-Sea is quite a nice resort town, connected with a frequent
train service from Liverpool Street Station and is famous for having
the longest pier in the world. There is a quaint cobblestone
pedestrians-only High Street with a well-stocked WH Smith at the top,
and a nice public library. There is also the Southend Boys' Choir,
which is famous. The fish restaurants are a must-try.
See: http://www.traveltips24.com/Southend.htm

I have no affiliation to either website.

-R.A.
Old February 28th, 2008, 04:17 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

Thanks for the info.

Any thoughts on getting from Gatwick to Fenchurch station (for train
to Southend) via either Gatwick Express or the Thameslink? Pros/cons
of either way? Is there something better?

Thanks!

Old February 28th, 2008, 04:39 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
JohnT[_3_]

wrote in message
Thanks for the info.

Any thoughts on getting from Gatwick to Fenchurch station (for train
to Southend) via either Gatwick Express or the Thameslink? Pros/cons
of either way? Is there something better?

Thanks!

Use the Gatwick Flyer bus. See
http://www.gatwickflyer.co.uk/gatwickflyer.swf
--

JohnT

Old February 28th, 2008, 05:28 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

Any specific must-see spots in London for traveling with a family?
We've read neat things about the Meet the Monkeys exhibit at the zoo,
but a lot of negative things about the zoo in general.

Also, we'll be in staying in the Covent Garden area... any suggestions
for family dining on a reasonable budget (not outlandish, but no need
for dirt cheap either)?

Old February 28th, 2008, 05:47 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

On Feb 28, 10:28*am, wrote:
Any specific must-see spots inLondonfor traveling with a family?
We've read neat things about the Meet the Monkeys exhibit at the zoo,
but a lot of negative things about the zoo in general.

Also, we'll be in staying in the Covent Garden area... any suggestions
for family dining on a reasonable budget (not outlandish, but no need
for dirt cheap either)?

And one more question - about Borough Market. Looks like a good place
to stock up on breakfast/lunch items...yes?
Old February 29th, 2008, 06:09 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Wiener Sänger

On Feb 28, 9:17*pm, wrote:
Thanks for the info.

Any thoughts on getting from Gatwick to Fenchurch station (for train
to Southend) via either Gatwick Express or the Thameslink? Pros/cons
of either way? Is there something better?

Thanks!

If you don't mind a long bus journey, the *cheapest* way to do it
would be on National Express. From the Gatwick South Terminal to
London Victoria Bus Station, and then direct to Southend bus station.
This will cost "just" £13.10, but will take 5-6 hours on buses. My
wife probably wouldn't stand for it; anyway, up to you.

http://www.nationalexpress.com

-R.A.