What Should I Do in New Zealand?

Old February 14th, 2009, 03:32 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
ebeaudry

Default What Should I Do in New Zealand?

Hi,

I am thinking about possibly going to New Zealand for about a week. I
saw a video with a train ride to Auckland. I noticed that there is one
that leaves from Christchurch and arrives in Auckland the next day with
a night in Wellington (there's also an option to stay an extra day in
Wellington as well). Has anyone taken this railway before? I believe
it's called the TranzCostal and the Overlander.

Thanks!

--
ebeaudry
Message Origin: TRAVEL.com

Old February 14th, 2009, 07:19 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

"ebeaudry" wrote in message

Hi,

I am thinking about possibly going to New Zealand for about a week. I
saw a video with a train ride to Auckland. I noticed that there is one
that leaves from Christchurch and arrives in Auckland the next day with
a night in Wellington (there's also an option to stay an extra day in
Wellington as well). Has anyone taken this railway before? I believe
it's called the TranzCostal and the Overlander.

Thanks!

--
ebeaudry
Message Origin: TRAVEL.com

Not done that one but there is train ride that goes from Christchurch to
Greymouth i am sure this is ment to be the one for the best views it goes
though Arthur's pass which is worth stoping at for a day i spent few days in
Arthur's pass. Its one the best places i visited in New Zealand last year.

Old February 14th, 2009, 09:02 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Joseph Coulter[_5_]

ebeaudry wrote in
:

Hi,

I am thinking about possibly going to New Zealand for about a week. I
saw a video with a train ride to Auckland. I noticed that there is
one that leaves from Christchurch and arrives in Auckland the next day
with a night in Wellington (there's also an option to stay an extra
day in Wellington as well). Has anyone taken this railway before? I
believe it's called the TranzCostal and the Overlander.

Be aware that the train from Christchurch in question here is also a
ferry ride. I think that the trains on the South Island have more to
offer than the North Island in terms of dramatic scenery but it is a
good way to et up and down the country as well.

--
Joseph Coulter, cruises and vacations
www.josephcoulter.com

877 832 2021
904 631 8863 cell

Old February 23rd, 2009, 12:10 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
JohnS

On Feb 15, 12:32*am, ebeaudry ebeaudry.3nl...@no-
mx.forums.travel.com wrote:
Hi,

I am thinking about possibly going to New Zealand for about a week. *I
saw a video with a train ride to Auckland. *I noticed that there is one
that leaves from Christchurch and arrives in Auckland the next day with
a night in Wellington (there's also an option to stay an extra day in
Wellington as well). *Has anyone taken this railway before? *I believe
it's called the TranzCostal and the Overlander.

To be honest you're wasting your time going to NZ for only a week.
Particularly taking a train trip from Christchurch to Auckland.
The train line north of Christchurch is dead flat and boring.
The Transalpine from Christchurch to Greymouth is supposed to be
extremely good.

You would be better off getting a hire car and spending the week in
the South Island only.
The South Island has a very low population and good roads, so the
roads are almost empty. The towns are small and driving is a real
pleasure.
I would drive over Arthurs Pass, down the west coast, Franz Josef
Glacier, Haast Pass, Lake Wanaka, Queenstown, Te Anau, Milford Sound
and then back to Christchurch.

Although to be honest this would probably take a bit more than a week.
Enjoy your trip.
Old June 14th, 2009, 12:51 AM
Working Holiday Australia Working Holiday Australia is offline
Member

[quote=

To be honest you're wasting your time going to NZ for only a week.

You would be better off getting a hire car and spending the week in
the South Island only.
[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure when you're leaving or if you've already left, but I disagree that you're wasting your time going to NZ for a week. I went to NZ for a week last year when I was on a working holiday in Australia and had a fabulous time. I would have liked to have stayed a few weeks to a month, but I was working and couldn't leave that long.

We went to the north island--arrived in Auckland, took a bus to Rotorua and saw all of the thermal activity, geyser, etc. there. Very cool. Then we went to Waitomo Caves where we went cave tubing and saw the glow worms.

Then we took the bus back to Auckland--personally, it's not that exciting of a city--did the Skytower and all that jazz. But my favorite part of the trip was Waiheke Island. We took a ferry over there from Auckland for the day and then did a wine tour. It was gorgeous. I highly recommend going over there if you're in the Auckland area.

I can't say much about the south island since I haven't been there, but it does apparently have more unique and interesting scenery, so if you can only select one, you may want to go there. I would have gone to the south island, but I was meeting a friend in Auckland so I didn't have a choice.

But I still had a fabulous time on the north island. Just pick one or the other. You won't have time to do both in a week.