One-way flight on round-trip ticket?

Old February 1st, 2004, 04:32 PM
Hank Mishkoff

Default One-way flight on round-trip ticket?

I'm thinking of flying a route in Europe that doesn't seem
to be covered by any of the budget airlines. I found a
reasonable rate on one of the major carriers -- but the
"reasonable rate" is for a round-trip ticket, the one-way
fare is outrageous. And as you've guessed, I'm planning to
fly only one way.

Here in the US, I know people who regularly buy round-trip
tickets in these situations and discard the return ticket.
It's my understanding that the airlines all have policies
that specifically prohibit this, but that, practically
speaking, there's nothing that they can do about it.
Specifically, I've read that even if they decided to charge
the difference to your credit card, you could easily (and
successfully) contest the charge, as their claim that they
have authorization to asses that charge to your card has
dubious legal force.

Does anyone know if the situation in Europe is similar to
that in the US? In other words: How risky (financially
speaking) would it be for me to buy a round-trip ticket and
discard the return portion?

Thanks for your help!

Old February 1st, 2004, 04:37 PM
Miss L. Toe

Does anyone know if the situation in Europe is similar to
that in the US? In other words: How risky (financially
speaking) would it be for me to buy a round-trip ticket and
discard the return portion?

Thanks for your help!

It really shouldn't be a problem, in fact when discussing pricing options
for a one-way ticket with airlines I have been told more than once to do
exactly that.

Old February 1st, 2004, 05:24 PM
Lennart Petersen

"Hank Mishkoff" skrev i meddelandet
[...]

There's no problem. You can travel the out trip and throw away the return
portion.
Just be careful you can't use the return segment or any segment unless
you've used the previous segments. Ticket rules stipulate that coupons or
segments must be used in the order they're issued.
L.P

Old February 1st, 2004, 06:00 PM
Kristian

Hank Mishkoff wrote:
Does anyone know if the situation in Europe is similar to
that in the US? In other words: How risky (financially
speaking) would it be for me to buy a round-trip ticket and
discard the return portion?

---------------------
You could have any number of legits reasons for not making the return
portion of the trip. You could have gotten sick, been late to the
airport, having had to travel home earlier than planned etc.
I donīt see any reasonable way the airline could charge you for
not making the return flight. And I honestly I donīt think they care
much - people miss their flights all the time.

Kristian
Old February 1st, 2004, 06:33 PM
Tam

Does anyone know if the situation in Europe is similar to
that in the US? In other words: How risky (financially
speaking) would it be for me to buy a round-trip ticket and
discard the return portion?

I did that with Ryanair, London to Rimini, no problem. Returned the date
planned, but from Geneva on Easyjet, throwing away the Ryanair return
coupon. I've also done that with BMI, returning via Easyjet from Athens
instead of from Prague (don't think BMI goes to Prague anymore).

Years ago, Swissair used to police the use of tickets in Switzerland issued
abroad to make sure that travelers didn't arbitrage fares and that they
traveled in accordance with the fare terms. Well, Swissair's arrogance cost
them their life.

I know for a fact that the ferry companies and Eurotunnel charge credit
cards the higher one-way fare if passengers and car drivers fail to use the
return ticket. Check-in is normally by means of the credit card you used to
buy online. I have no idea what bankrupts and other people without credit
are supposed to do, or whether a debit card works.

I usually pay online with Amex Private Payments (a one-off number you get
online; Visa and Mcard have them too). But the system isn't foolproof, and a
retailer in fact double-charged me once (Amex credited me instantly) which
he could do because the # is valid 30 days.

Old February 1st, 2004, 06:59 PM
Frank F. Matthews

You don't discard the return portion you purchase a non-refundable RT
ticket and then miss your flight. Then you alter your plans. FFM

Old February 1st, 2004, 08:27 PM
Knight of the Road

"Hank Mishkoff" wrote

Does anyone know if the situation in Europe is similar to
that in the US? In other words: How risky (financially
speaking) would it be for me to buy a round-trip ticket and
discard the return portion?

I used to fly to Helsinki on BA once a month, while my truck was shipping
from Harwich to Finland. I would meet the boat, drive to Moscow and then
come back overland via Poland.

This was always done on a return ticket and although I have flown London-
Helsinki a dozen or more times, I have never once flown back. Never had a
problem.

--
Regards,
Vince

Truck Driving In Russia- www.coventon.co.uk

Old February 1st, 2004, 10:46 PM
Jenn

In article ,
Hank Mishkoff wrote:

[...]

these days you may get identified as one of those 'fail to appear'
travelers who excites the interest of the terror police

Old February 1st, 2004, 11:29 PM
Keith Willshaw

"Hank Mishkoff" wrote in message
I'm thinking of flying a route in Europe that doesn't seem
to be covered by any of the budget airlines. I found a
reasonable rate on one of the major carriers -- but the
"reasonable rate" is for a round-trip ticket, the one-way
fare is outrageous. And as you've guessed, I'm planning to
fly only one way.

Fine

Here in the US, I know people who regularly buy round-trip
tickets in these situations and discard the return ticket.
It's my understanding that the airlines all have policies
that specifically prohibit this, but that, practically
speaking, there's nothing that they can do about it.

Which is the same as in Europe

Specifically, I've read that even if they decided to charge
the difference to your credit card, you could easily (and
successfully) contest the charge, as their claim that they
have authorization to asses that charge to your card has
dubious legal force.

Quite so, you didnt sign up to return on the
leg agreed , you simply have the right to do so.

Does anyone know if the situation in Europe is similar to
that in the US? In other words: How risky (financially
speaking) would it be for me to buy a round-trip ticket and
discard the return portion?

No risk at all.

Keith

Old February 1st, 2004, 11:31 PM
Keith Willshaw

"Jenn" wrote in message

these days you may get identified as one of those 'fail to appear'
travelers who excites the interest of the terror police

Not unless your name is on a terrorst watch list.

Thousands of people dont make flights every day.

Keith