fastest and most convenient way from London Heathrow to Gatwick

Old October 18th, 2003, 03:02 AM
Lil

Default fastest and most convenient way from London Heathrow to Gatwick

I just bought some tickets, and when I checked for the change in plane
in London, I forgot to check whether the change in plane takes place
at the same airport.

Now that I've bought the tickets, and found that I arrive at Heathrow
and must depart at Gatwick, how do I get us (me and Mom) over from
Heathrow to Gatwick?

More details: the plane is supposed to arrive at Heathrow a little
before 11 a.m. GMT, and is supposed to depart Gatwick at 1:45 p.m.
GMT.

This raises issues like, how long will it take to clear customs
post-9/11 and Richard Reid (the Shoe Bomber)?

Assuming we clear customs quickly, what is the fastest and most
convenient way to get to Gatwick and somehow manage to grab some
lunch? Is there a shuttle between airports? Will we have to cab it?
Whatever ideas come to mind, please do not forget to include
approximate cost for the transport.

Thanks in advance.

Lil
Old October 18th, 2003, 03:20 AM
S Viemeister

Lil wrote:

Assuming we clear customs quickly, what is the fastest and most
convenient way to get to Gatwick and somehow manage to grab some
lunch? Is there a shuttle between airports? Will we have to cab it?
Whatever ideas come to mind, please do not forget to include
approximate cost for the transport.

There's a regular shuttle between the two airports - it takes a bit over an
hour, and costs GBP15. Check www.nationalexpress.com for information on
times, etc.
Old October 18th, 2003, 03:29 AM
Middle Gonad

Lil wrote:
More details: the plane is supposed to arrive at Heathrow a little
before 11 a.m. GMT, and is supposed to depart Gatwick at 1:45 p.m.
GMT.

Not sure this would be a legal connection. Call your airline to confirm that
this connection is legal.

you can also check the web sites for the airports at
http://www.baa.co.uk
British Airways's web site probably has some information on inter-airport transfers.

Assuming we clear customs quickly, what is the fastest and most
convenient way to get to Gatwick and somehow manage to grab some
lunch?

There are shuttle buses that link the 2 airports. Last I heard, since 9-11 you
had to pickup your luggage and lug it with you. In the past, luggage was
transfered by the airlines. Assuming your connection is barely legal, you
wouldn't have time to eat, unless you pickup something as a takeaway at
Heathrow and eat it while on the bus to Gatwick.
Old October 18th, 2003, 07:32 AM
David Bennetts

"Lil" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Sorry to disappoint but don't think you have enough time to do anything but
take a taxi - which will cost an arm and a leg.
You don't have time to wait around for buses or coaches. Or fiddling around
getting meals - you may only have time for a quick bite if you get to
Gatwick early enough to checkin and accomplish this procedure with a few
minutes to spare. Even getting a taxi without having to queue is no
guarantee - see the following website:
http://www.airport-transfers-uk.com/...ansfer_times.h
tml

Regards

David Bennetts

Old October 18th, 2003, 08:56 AM
freeda

[...]

The fastest would probably be to take the Heathrow Express to Paddington,
tube to Victoria, then Gatwick Express to atwick. This will also be very
expensive. o cut costs you could take the tube to London.

Old October 18th, 2003, 09:08 AM
mrtravel

AJC wrote:

More details: the plane is supposed to arrive at Heathrow a little
before 11 a.m. GMT, and is supposed to depart Gatwick at 1:45 p.m.
GMT.

Who sold you this connection? Last year BA were quoting a minimum
connecting time of 3 hours via the inter-airport coach. It looks like
you will be using a very expensive taxi.
--==++AJC++==--

Well, it arrives at 11 AM, that only 15 minutes shy of 3 hours, plus
they said "a little before 11", so it could be only a 5 or 10 minute
difference.

Old October 18th, 2003, 02:26 PM
Jesper Lauridsen

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 22:29:46 -0400, Middle Gonad wrote:

Lil wrote:
More details: the plane is supposed to arrive at Heathrow a little
before 11 a.m. GMT, and is supposed to depart Gatwick at 1:45 p.m.
GMT.

Not sure this would be a legal connection. Call your airline to confirm that
this connection is legal.

My guess is that the OP booked with *two* airlines, one to take them to
Europe and the other to take them to their final destination. The latter
is probably Easyjet. I will advise the OP to, if it's possible, cancel
the flight from Gatwick and book a later one. This connection is tight.

Most convenient is the direct bus. Don't know about fastest.

--
Don't be sorry to email me.
Old October 18th, 2003, 06:05 PM
Miss L. Toe

"Lil" wrote in message
om...
[...]

It will take about an hour to clear customs, immigration and baggage, then a
bus to gatwick will take 1:15 minimum plus queueing time - maybe 20 minutes,
and cost 17GBP with speedlink, the national express coach although cheaper
is more difficult to find, a taxi may make the journey in about an hour and
will cost something like 60 GBP if pre booked.

Its going to be a VERY tight connection, but planes from the USA often land
early if the wind is in the right direction.

A pre-booked taxi is the only sensible way to attempt this, but do try and
change the second leg to a later flight.

I would get lunch after checking in and clearing security at Gatwick.

Old October 18th, 2003, 06:43 PM
Owain

"Miss L. Toe" wrote
| "Lil" wrote
| More details: the plane is supposed to arrive at Heathrow a little
| before 11 a.m. GMT, and is supposed to depart Gatwick at 1:45 p.m.
| GMT.
| It will take about an hour to clear customs, immigration and baggage,

That takes the OP to about 12.00

| then a bus to gatwick will take 1:15 minimum

13.15

| plus queueing time - maybe 20 minutes,

13.35

I think what has been missed by most respondents is how far in advance of
the 13.45 departure time the OP will have to check in to the flight
departing Gatwick. If it's an hour prior to departure, which is probably
minimum, the timings being given are simply unworkable.

Annoying to have to leave this much time for a transfer, but c'est la vie.

Owain

Old October 18th, 2003, 07:09 PM
James Robinson

freeda wrote:

Assuming we clear customs quickly, what is the fastest and most
convenient way to get to Gatwick and somehow manage to grab some
lunch? Is there a shuttle between airports? Will we have to cab it?
Whatever ideas come to mind, please do not forget to include
approximate cost for the transport.

The fastest would probably be to take the Heathrow Express to Paddington,
tube to Victoria, then Gatwick Express to atwick. This will also be very
expensive. o cut costs you could take the tube to London.

That is probably the slowest way. You also have to change twice - once
at Paddington, again at Victoria - which can be difficult with luggage.
It will take between 90 and 110 minutes to make that journey, depending
on connections. The cost is about 25 GBP.

Somewhat less expensive is the underground to Victoria, and the Gatwick
Express from there, at a cost of 15 GBP. It takes no longer than using
the Heathrow Express, but you still have to change twice.

The most cost-effective is the dedicated coach service between the two
airports. At that time of day, the trip should take 60 to 70 minutes,
and the price is 17 GBP. It runs every 15 minutes or so, and picks up at
each of the terminals at Heathrow.

An alternative is the National Express bus, which departs every half
hour from the central transportation terminal, with a fare of 14 GBP.

A taxi will be a bit faster than the bus, but not by much, since the bus
runs non-stop, and the taxi will cost substantially more.