Rockhampton-Barcaldine-Longreach by bus?

Old January 20th, 2004, 02:00 AM
Hallvard Tangeraas

Default Rockhampton-Barcaldine-Longreach by bus?

I'm planning to go to Barcaldine and Longreach in the not too distant
future, to see some of the "real" non-commercial, touristy Australia.

I'm in Noosa right now, so when I get to Rockhampton I plan to go to
Longreach and stay there for a little while, by train (it only goes
twice a week apparently), then take a bus back through Barcaldine,
stay there for a little while, and catch another bus back to
Rockhampton where I'll hop on a greyhound/McCafferty's bus with my
existing "hop on/hop off" ticket.

But I'm a little unsure of which buses travel this route
(Longreach-Barcaldine-Rockhampton), and how many times a week/day they
go. Any pointers?

Hallvard
Old January 20th, 2004, 04:50 AM
Paul O

The train runs from Rockhampton to Longreach via Barcaldine - why not take a
train each way!!

om...

Old January 20th, 2004, 02:31 PM
Freda

Be sure to see the Barcaldine museum at the old local
primary school building.
Its better than Longreach as far as I am concerned.
Longreach is all high tech Barcaldine is actual historical items.
They issue you with a ticket that is signed by you for
returning more than one time for the original charge.
Lots to see. Actual photos of the early history of the area.

The Great shearers strike was in that area and the
Aust. Workers Union (AWU) was started in that area
at that time.
Each old classroom is set up with a theme and display.
Freda
--
Please reply to the list as my email address is a fake

Old January 24th, 2004, 12:29 AM
Hallvard Tangeraas

"Paul O" wrote in message . au...

The train runs from Rockhampton to Longreach via Barcaldine - why not take a
train each way!!

Isn't it obvious?
I'm travelling in a foreign country and want to see as much as
possible instead of just repeating the same thing.

A bus would obviously take a different route than the train.

So..... which buses go between these places? Is Emerald the buses to
take, as it seems from a search on the net?

Hallvard
Old January 26th, 2004, 02:06 AM
Ross

Actually, the road runs beside the railway line from Longreach to
Barcaldine, all the way.

Ross