renting a car in Paris?

Old February 18th, 2004, 05:55 PM
jchitt

Default renting a car in Paris?

Which would be best to travel to Normandy...
1. Renting a car in Paris (staying around Effiel Tower) and driving through
Paris traffic (leaving about 9 am) to Normandy
2. Taking the metro to a SNCF station and catching a train to Caen (or
another City outside of Paris) then getting a rental car

4 people (2 kids-11 & 14)We will have luggage (3 bags).

Old February 18th, 2004, 06:04 PM
BrianE

jchitt wrote:

Which would be best to travel to Normandy...
1. Renting a car in Paris (staying around Effiel Tower) and driving through
Paris traffic (leaving about 9 am) to Normandy
2. Taking the metro to a SNCF station and catching a train to Caen (or
another City outside of Paris) then getting a rental car

4 people (2 kids-11 & 14)We will have luggage (3 bags).

2. The drive from Paris to Normandy is a drag. I did it last
summer on the way back from the South.

HTH

Old February 18th, 2004, 06:12 PM
Mark Fagan

Going by train might be more relaxing, but availability of an automatic in
Caen might be low (if you need it). Driving through Paris can be done, it
needs a second adult in the passenger seat with a GOOD map of the city,
doing the navigating. Or else a GPS navigation system (you can now buy them
built in to a PDA device, that you can take with you anywhere. When it was
introduced by Garmin, they included the Europe and North America CDs for
about CAN$1,000). Driving let's you see and do more, and gives you
flexibility, but also increases stress levels.

Old February 18th, 2004, 09:08 PM
BB

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 11:55:56 -0600, jchitt wrote:
Which would be best to travel to Normandy...
1. Renting a car in Paris (staying around Effiel Tower) and driving through
Paris traffic (leaving about 9 am) to Normandy
2. Taking the metro to a SNCF station and catching a train to Caen (or
another City outside of Paris) then getting a rental car

I always rent cars from airports - they're generally on the outskirts of
town so access is easy, and there's always mass transport to the airport.
Also, as you're approaching town, there are plenty of signs directing you
to the airport, so its easy to find.

I haven't rented from Paris, but dropped off a car at Orly, which was
very easy because I just followed the signs.

--
-BB-
To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at least)
Old February 18th, 2004, 09:23 PM
Dave Smith

jchitt wrote:

Which would be best to travel to Normandy...
1. Renting a car in Paris (staying around Effiel Tower) and driving through
Paris traffic (leaving about 9 am) to Normandy
2. Taking the metro to a SNCF station and catching a train to Caen (or
another City outside of Paris) then getting a rental car

4 people (2 kids-11 & 14)We will have luggage (3 bags).

How about a compromise..... take the Metro to the outskirts of Paris and
picking up a rental car out there. That would save you the nightmare of driving
in Paris. The price of a car rental for a two is not going to be much
different, and it would be better than spending the money on four train fares
as well.

Old February 18th, 2004, 09:45 PM
Jenn

In article ,
BB wrote:

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 11:55:56 -0600, jchitt wrote:
Which would be best to travel to Normandy...
1. Renting a car in Paris (staying around Effiel Tower) and driving through
Paris traffic (leaving about 9 am) to Normandy
2. Taking the metro to a SNCF station and catching a train to Caen (or
another City outside of Paris) then getting a rental car

I always rent cars from airports - they're generally on the outskirts of
town so access is easy, and there's always mass transport to the airport.
Also, as you're approaching town, there are plenty of signs directing you
to the airport, so its easy to find.

I haven't rented from Paris, but dropped off a car at Orly, which was
very easy because I just followed the signs.

it is convenient but it always costs more as airport rentals pay extra
taxes and fees

if one is already in paris then it makes sense to rent on the periphery
Old February 18th, 2004, 11:00 PM
BB

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 15:45:17 -0600, Jenn wrote:

I always rent cars from airports

it is convenient but it always costs more as airport rentals pay extra
taxes and fees

Not always, but sometimes. Also, I've never been charged a fee for
dropping off at an airport - this is where it really comes in handy. I'd
hate to have to find a rental office by car in some of these big European
cities.

Old February 19th, 2004, 01:13 AM
Jenn

In article ,
BB wrote:

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 15:45:17 -0600, Jenn wrote:

I always rent cars from airports

it is convenient but it always costs more as airport rentals pay extra
taxes and fees

Not always, but sometimes. Also, I've never been charged a fee for
dropping off at an airport - this is where it really comes in handy. I'd
hate to have to find a rental office by car in some of these big European
cities.

too true-- a few years ago my husband dropped my daughter and me in the
Marais at our apartment and then took off to drop the car not far away
-- he was gone hours -- the drop was in an underground garage without
any obvious external signs off a main Paris drag by the Seine -- with
him driving alone in strange rush hour traffic he was not able to spot
it -- finally after orbiting the area unable to find it, he parked on a
sidewalk and sought out help in a shop -- they were able to help him by
telling him it was hidden underground -- but it still took two passes to
actually make the turn and locate it ---

less a problem at surface lots in the periphery
Old February 19th, 2004, 08:38 AM
nightjar

"jchitt" wrote in message
Which would be best to travel to Normandy...
1. Renting a car in Paris (staying around Effiel Tower) and driving

through
Paris traffic (leaving about 9 am) to Normandy
2. Taking the metro to a SNCF station and catching a train to Caen (or
another City outside of Paris) then getting a rental car

4 people (2 kids-11 & 14)We will have luggage (3 bags).

I was born in and learnt to drive in London and I now frequently drive in
France. However, I would never consider hiring a car in Paris and driving
through it. Either go by train or do as others have suggested and hire a car
on the outskirts.

Colin Bignell

Old February 19th, 2004, 03:23 PM
Mike M

"nightjar" wrote in message ...
"jchitt" wrote in message
Which would be best to travel to Normandy...
1. Renting a car in Paris (staying around Effiel Tower) and driving

through
Paris traffic (leaving about 9 am) to Normandy
2. Taking the metro to a SNCF station and catching a train to Caen (or
another City outside of Paris) then getting a rental car

4 people (2 kids-11 & 14)We will have luggage (3 bags).

I was born in and learnt to drive in London and I now frequently drive in
France. However, I would never consider hiring a car in Paris and driving
through it. Either go by train or do as others have suggested and hire a car
on the outskirts.

Colin Bignell

I concur. We used a rental car office in Nanterre, close to the RER
station, and just a zone 3 metro ticket. Fast, easy, and you're
pointed in the right direction for going west.