Campsites on the way to Vic Falls

Old May 4th, 2004, 09:13 AM
Afrika Safaris - Koos Greeff

Default Campsites on the way to Vic Falls

Hi Group,

I am looking for first-hand impressions on campsites between Martins Drift
and Palapaye for one evening as well as between Nata and Mpandamatenga for
one evening. I am still unsure about camping in Vic Falls. I hear the
opinions of the group that lists more towards camping on the Zambian side.
My daughter maintains that the Zim side view is better and she prefers Vic
Falls as a town above Livingstone. But what about camping in Vic Falls?

Thanx in advance
Koos

Old May 5th, 2004, 08:43 AM
Marc Lurie

Hi Koos,

I can only comment on the campsite we stayed at in Nata. It was
lovely. Nagaapies in the tree above us at night, good/clean
facilities, good shade available, and not too crowded.

Just a comment about Vic Falls though...

It's all a matter of what you enjoy and what you expect. Vic Falls is
much more of an "ordinary" tourist town that you and I would be more
used to. I can equate it to the likes of St. Lucia or Knysna in many
ways. There is a well-established tourist business there, and I feel
it's all a bit impersonal and frigid. Livingstone is becomming far
more tourist oriented, but it's still a sleepy town that is much more
like the rest of Africa. You have the opportunity of meeting people
there who are not simply out to get your tourist buck.

I know that there are magnificent hotels on the Zam side, but I
wouldn't personally stay in these. Let's face it, a luxury hotel in
Livingstone is exactly the same as a luxury hotel in Vic Falls, or Sun
City, or Kampala, or London, or Beijing. Why anyone would travel to
the majestic Zambezi and then stay in a hotel that may as well be in
their home town, is beyond me.

To put it in a nutshell, to a South African Vic Falls is much more
familliar and comfortable. Livingstone is bit further outside of your
normal comfort zone. But isn't that what travelling is all about? You
only truly experience new things when you ARE outside your comfort
zone, otherwise you may as well stay at home.

Regards,

Marc - Johannesburg

Old May 5th, 2004, 03:48 PM
Scott Elliot

Hi Koos,

When we were at Victoria Falls in 1997 we stayed at Victoria Falls National
Park to the north and west of the townsite. There is a narrow strip of park
all along the river, but it joins to a larger area in that direction. We
had a worn but clean cabin with a view of the Zambezi river out back. The
price was much less than a similar cabin in Kruger or Kgalagadi. We did not
check out the campsites in the area, but I believe there were some and it
was far enough out of town to get away from the noise and crowds.

We made our booking through the National Parks office in Bulawayo. The
office in Harare might have better connections though.

We found Victoria Falls "interesting" and it is certainly something you have
to see, but it was not my favourite part of out trip to Zimbabwe in 1997.

Scott Elliot

Kelowna, Canada