Why me?

Old October 1st, 2003, 04:12 PM
Ian

Default Why me?

On the last 3 occasions that I have travelled to the US from the UK
with my family ( a total of 5 of us) we have been subjected to a
thorough security check at airports. Not the usual cursory check of
hand luggage and a walk through the metal detector, but the full blown
search. This happened at both LAX and SFO on our flights home and
also at MCO on a connecting flight to MIA. At SFO we were advised at
check-in to "go through security as soon as you can" which I took to
mean that it was going to take us quite a while longer.
We are just a regular British family (I can already envisage the
wisecracks). Is it a totally random process who they choose for these
checks, or could it be that doing a family of 5 in one go gets their
numbers up so they can go for a coffee break early?

BTW, is it obligatory in the US that all sour-faced people can only
get jobs at airports? For a country famed for its service culture, a
little of that service would be nice to see after a 10 hour flight.

Ian

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
courage to change the things I can
and wisdom always to tell the difference.
(Slaughterhouse 5 by Kurt Vonnegut Jr.)
Old October 1st, 2003, 07:44 PM
Peter L

"Ian" wrote in message
m...
On the last 3 occasions that I have travelled to the US from the UK
with my family ( a total of 5 of us) we have been subjected to a
thorough security check at airports. Not the usual cursory check of
hand luggage and a walk through the metal detector, but the full blown
search. This happened at both LAX and SFO on our flights home and
also at MCO on a connecting flight to MIA. At SFO we were advised at
check-in to "go through security as soon as you can" which I took to
mean that it was going to take us quite a while longer.
We are just a regular British family (I can already envisage the
wisecracks). Is it a totally random process who they choose for these
checks, or could it be that doing a family of 5 in one go gets their
numbers up so they can go for a coffee break early?

Supposedly a random process, unless you fit some kind of profile (average
British family of five, I think, is one.) Just joking.

BTW, is it obligatory in the US that all sour-faced people can only
get jobs at airports? For a country famed for its service culture, a
little of that service would be nice to see after a 10 hour flight.

I have often said that immigration officers the world over go to the same
charm school. And where do you get the idea that the US is famed for its
service culture? Even in Thailand, famed for its service culture, the
immigration officers have the same expression as their counterparts in China
and Russia.

Old October 1st, 2003, 08:03 PM
mrtravel

Peter L wrote:

Supposedly a random process, unless you fit some kind of profile (average
British family of five, I think, is one.) Just joking.

Maybe it was because they were carrying a parrot and claimed it was a pet.

Did TSA say, "This bird is dead"?
And, did the family response, "Nonsense, it's just sleeping!"

http://www.geocities.com/tammykat/fa...on/parrot.html

Old October 1st, 2003, 08:14 PM
Kim Dyer

Supposedly a random process, unless you fit some kind of profile (average
British family of five, I think, is one.) Just joking.

I went through about a year where I was pulled aside every time for the last
minute check. I came to the conclusion it was because I looked like I'd be
good natured about it and they'd had their fill of taking garbage from people.
I mean, these folks are just trying to do a job.
-- Kimbis

Old October 1st, 2003, 08:27 PM

On 1 Oct 2003 08:12:28 -0700, (Ian)
wrote:

[...]

I've been to several US cities over the past 16 years and the most
hostile reception ever was at Orlando, and way before 911 too. This
city is the gateway to the US for thousand of British tourists every
year, many on their first visit, and to be greeted like this is
appalling. If I hadn't been fairly well travelled and thought this was
typical I may well have never returned. Yes, a lot of the immigration
people, notably the men, would benefit from character and charisma
transplants, but none matched the insolence of the Orlando guy.

MJ
Old October 2nd, 2003, 01:37 AM
Boxall's Accommodation

"Peter L" wrote in message ...

I have often said that immigration officers the world over go to the same
charm school. And where do you get the idea that the US is famed for its
service culture? Even in Thailand, famed for its service culture, the
immigration officers have the same expression as their counterparts in China
and Russia.

Actually, I have found that that immigration officers in Australia --
at least at SYD -- can be quite the opposite of what one would expect.
Even had one exchanging jokes with me.
Old October 2nd, 2003, 08:53 AM
Ian

Not the Karl Orff wrote in message ...
In article ,
(Ian) wrote:

[...]

Were you on a oneway ticket, changed flights close to departure date,
or paid cash?

None of these. The LAX and SFO tickets had been bought several months
prior. Only the MCO - MIA flight was 'booked' on the day because we
had been bumped off the London to MIA flight and been re-routed
thorugh MCO.

Old October 2nd, 2003, 09:23 AM
MK

Better to have overly thorough security than too little. My wife and were
searched at each departure last time we flew AA LHR-MIA and back. A slight
inconvenience, but very small compared to the length of the flight.

MK.

m...